“Cape may Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
maryland
“Cape may Getaway”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at the Periwinkle Inn over July 4th for 5 nights (only place I could find at the last minute!) Very clean, well maintained property, nice pool & pool area. The rooms decorated in minimal Ikea style of modern- little amentities in the room- (no bureau- drawers under the bed frame!) Bathroom, though small clean, room clean & kept cleaned every day, with ample fresh towels & a big plus- beach/pool towels everyday! My only fault was- I think they could provide beach passes since you are paying a lot for the room- but beach access directly across the road! That is a big plus, too! Just realize when you go to Cape May using the beach does cost per person and you can find very little free parking in town- have plenty of quarters for the parking meters!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Momplus2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had a great time. Within walking distance yo promenade and shops. Trolley also stops in front. Very kid friendly, nice grassy area near the pool for kids to play. Room was very nice, and the grounds crew were very tolerant of the kids balls going in the pool.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank daniemo
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I think there are many pros and cons to this property. We had an Ocean Front room and yes you had to pay for the view -- but they told us up front. Yes we had to pay cash or else we would be assessed a 3% fee which I think is ridiculous, but we did know up front. We also had more than two in our room, so that was also assessed an extra fee per person, which I also though was stupid for a property where there was nothing "extra" being consumed - no free breakfast or anything like that, so who cares if 4 people are in a room with two queen beds? It sleeps that many, right? They don't discount you if you only have one person... I digress. Yes we knew in advance so that is our fault for paying it.
Upon our arrival at 3 PM, I checked in at the front desk. Nice check in area, but for a non-smoking place, it smelled like an ash tray and was not very inviting in that way. I gave my name to check in and waited as the lady did what she needed to do to get us in.
While I was waiting, I couldn't help but notice a very pregnant woman who was not looking happy in the lobby. She was speaking with another employee and asking if her room was ready yet. The woman told her it wasn't. The pregnant woman then stated that they had been in town since noon and that she was very hot and couldn't be in the sun any longer and just wanted to get into her room. The employee informed her that check in was between 3 and 8. Well, it was after 3. If they knew she was there at noon and that there was a chance not all of the rooms would be clean by 3, why wouldn't they have gone and done that room earlier so that the person who is in town and ready to check in at 3 would be able to get in her room. Between 3 and 8 is an unacceptable response when you are paying for the room and the website says 3 is check in. I understand not being able to check in at noon - that is a crap shoot when you arrive early, but if check in is at three then you should be ready to go.
Our room was ready, however, so we were given our keys and off we went. Room 314 was a nice room - it was clean, and it had a great view of the ocean and the pool. The lawns on property are very well maintained and true to their website in terms of their appearance.
The room had a small fridge and microwave in it which was nice. My son brought leftovers back to the room and figured he would heat them up later. But we had a problem, there was no paper place, plastic utensils or anything to assist with this. I would have brought my own, but I figured if the room would have the set up like it did with all of that, that there would be something to use. So be aware, you might need your own things.
The beach was right across the street which was convenient.
The pool was cold, so obviously not heated, but the kids had fun in it non the less.
Lots of off street parking for the people at the hotel.
I do think that it is a bit pricey for what you got. I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts in Cape May and payed less or the same at at least there you have breakfast included.
But since we were not in the room much, we enjoyed everything the town of Cape May had to offer. It wasn't a bad place to stay, just wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: Room 314 was a good "Ocean Front" view. However the two buildings out front which looked...
5 Thank CHH1275
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently stayed here for two nights while in town for a wedding. It seemed a bit pricey, but at the height of the summer season on a weekend I don't know that we could have done a lot better for something right across the road from the beach. We had a one bedroom suite; our two kids slept on the sofa bed, and for the cost I thought we were getting two bedrooms. The suite was smallish but immaculately clean and had an economy kitchen. The downsides were a small bathroom and generally poor lighting that gave the place a dingy feel even though it really was very well kept. There were two flat screenTVs with cable, but the complimentary internet was extremely slow to the point of being unusable. The back of the suite opened up onto the hotel courtyard through a big sliding glass door, where there were a number of lounge chairs and a large, clean pool. Even with a number of families staying the place maintained a quiet, relaxed atmosphere. The courtyard was a great late afternoon hang out, back from the beach and curled up with a drink and a book before dinner. It's located right across from the beach for easy access and has an outdoor shower for clean up on return. It's a nice walk down the promenade from a number of restaurants and had ample off street parking. Would I stay here again? Yes. Will I look around next time I visit Cape May? Yes.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and this provided great access to the lounge chairs, pool, and outdoor...
1 Thank DWeber_13
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was my second time staying at Periwinkle Inn. My boyfriend and I love this place. Its right on the boardwalk and the staff is awesome. We were referred by a friend that lived in the Cape May area and fell in love. Can't wait till next year when we go back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenag12
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Be aware. Even if you provide more than 30 days of notice for a cancellation, they are charging you a 25% fee!!! So for my 4 nights, they charge me $165. This is scandalous and such a bad customer service. They really don't deserve your business.

32 Thank msbouche
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This motel is great.. the staff is very nice and friendly. The rooms are very clean and spacious. fantastic view of the ocean from the balcony. we really enjoyed our stay out here in Cape May. The beach is right across the street, how could you not love that? Located in a very nice area, walking distance to just about everything that Cape May has to offer. Shops, Restaurants, Beach, Mini Golf. Will definitely stay here again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple