“Great location, large "efficiency", really comfy bed!”
Review of The Star

The Star
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Boston
“Great location, large "efficiency", really comfy bed!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Star Inn. This was our first trip to Cape May and because we have a baby, we felt that we wanted to stay at a hotel and not a B&B (just in case our little guy was having a "bad day"). After an exhaustive search I felt like the majority of hotels were overpriced and cheesy. When I came across the Star Inn, it looked really promising because (1) it wasn't ridiculously expensive and (2) it offered access to the pool and beach cabanas of the Congress Hotel. I am so glad we chose it! had a spacious bedroom and nice-sized living room with small fridge, sink, etc. The bathroom was a little small but recently renovated. The bed was absolutely amazing (maybe in fact more comfortable than my own bed at home?) The restaurants and shops are very close by (less than 2 minute walk) and the beach is less than 5 minute walk. Having access to the very nice Congress Hotel was great - we liked its restaurant for breakfast, the pool and the beach services (chairs, umbrellas and towels for free - $75 for a cabana for the day if you want it).

My only problem - the woman answering the reservation line wasn't nice or helpful. I accidentally booked online a unit that was in the "motel" which is adults-only (I had seen that other units were "adults only" but the exact unit I selected didn't have "adults only" next to the name). The woman on the phone essentially berated me and then when I asked what she could do for me, she told me that we could switch to an efficiency or lose our deposit (which was the price of the room). Since I didn't want to lose my deposit, I had to go from $129/room a night up to $239/night and the woman said to me, "it's only a little more" (over $100 is a little more?!?). But I did end up going with the efficiency and even booked a second night (which I think went up to $329/night - our little night away turned into a very expensive outing!). She then said she could throw in breakfast - I actually later found out that the package that includes breakfast is actually a few dollars cheaper than if I just booked the room - so no real concession here!

BUT once we actually got to the hotel and checked-in, it made up for the not-so-positive first impression. BUT we had a very nice stay and loved the hotel! Just so you don't think I'm one of those angry online anonymous reviewers, I did let the front desk know about my experience and the very nice lady said to me, "We've had problems with our reservations line and we're working on it".

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I'm just back from a a 3-night stay at the Star Inn's motel section. It is a real find and I hope to return there on future visits to Cape May. It is convenient to the beach and to town. If you are on the second floor with one of the lower numbered rooms (20,21) you can view the ocean from your porch rockers. I had a half hour wait for family and walked over to the mall and browsed some stores. I suggest that you don't arrive early, as my room was ready just a few minutes before 3, even though I let them know I had arrived at 1:30. The bed is extremely comfortable with great linens. The sitting area has room for a few guests to visit, and there is a foldaway bed for a guest. It was surprisingly quiet. I heard nothing from neighbors or the street when windows and door were closed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sophiawestern
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We recently stayed at The Star Inn for 4 nights. The room was very small but comfortably appointed. Literally there was just a bed, dresser, 2 end tables and a small path around the bed, however we found a way to tuck our belongings out of the way. We were on the 3rd floor and the ceiling was sloped which made this tiny room seem even smaller (a tall person would not be happy in this room). We were fortunate to have beautiful weather and spent all of our time on the beach. This Inn is part of the Congress Hall Hotel and we had access to all of the hotel amenities. The beach service included chaise lounges, tables, umbrellas and towels at no charge. Food and beverage service on the beach was excellent and well worth the price. The Inn is just steps away from the beach and the Washington St Mall. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sue13_1
Hurffville, NJ
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have stayed across the street at Congress Hall before; and loved it. This year we stayed at the Star Inn. The rooms are reasonably priced. They are on the small side but very cozy. The one thing I would add is just a tiny mini-fridge so you could keep few drinks or snacks cold. Other than that, this will be our yearly destination for our wedding anniversary.
P.S. The Star Inn is also one block from The Mad Badder. Great Food!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Star Inn the weekend of May 19th. We were in one of the 'motel' rooms which was very nice. You have both a front porch and a quiet, private sitting area in the back (if you're on the first floor). There is a nice sitting area in the front with a pull out couch and small kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, sink, and two small burners. Since a lot of the restaurants in Cape May with good food are BYOB and often serve sea food we like the option to chill our white wine. The bathroom has modern features even if it small it has a functional set up. The back bedroom is large and clean. We will definitely be staying here again the room was great, clean and quiet with lots of space. We went out for breakfast and left the please sign out and our room was clean when we returned. Great service, great location full access to the Congress Hall pool and beach club. The beach club is wonderful chairs, towels, umbrellas are all provided and you can order food and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajmflan
West Chester, Pa.
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this lovely old Inn over 4/1. We had a small room with a beautiful view of the ocean in the Inn next door they have what I hear to be slightly larger rooms in more of a motel kind of set up. But our room had everything we needed, a comfy bed, small but nice bathroom, nice shower and again that VIEW. If you want a large modern sterile hotel this is not the place for you. If you want to feel like you stepped back in time...
The Inn doesn't include breakfast but does have a cute mini Starbucks downstairs. It wasn't open as we were there on a Sun. night off season, but right across the street at the Congress Hotel there was a WONDER restaurant called the Blue Pig. Went there for dinner and breakfast, reasonable and extremely tasty.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which seemed to have the best view but there are other rooms in the Inn that have balc...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Warminster, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We purchased a Living Social deal to stay at the Star Inn on a Friday night during Valentine's Day weekend. We were amazed as we arrived and saw beautiful Congress Hall (where we checked in). We were also pleasantly surprised to learn the Star Inn was literally across the street from there. The room was very tiny but clean and modern and the view from our window was amazing, we could lay on the bed and see the sand and the ocean, I think we stayed in room 1.

Our time at the shore during the winter season was so romantic, taking in the gorgeous Victorian houses, strolling down Main Street (the cutest stores!), walking along the beach and even sharing champagne and a cheese tray in our hotel room before dinner. With our Living Social Deal we had a $50 voucher for dinner at the Blue Pig Tavern (which was also right across the street from the Star Inn). The atomsphere was very romantic as well, a huge fireplace (you could smell the wood burning on the walk there), dimly lit with candles, great wine and the menu was full of fresh and flavorful comfort foods.

After our dinner, we went over to the wine bar inside Congress Hall. There was an acoustic guitar player with a decent sized crowd singing along! The next morning, we walked down the block to George's Place for breakfast, which was also AMAZING, awesome food and spectacular service. The wait was worth it! We did some sight-seeing before heading home but made sure to stop at The Lobster House to pick up some crab bisque and a crusty baguette for dinner later.

It was so nice not having to drive anywhere, we parked our car and it stayed there all weekend. Only complaint would be that after reading reviews here, we were under the impression all of the rooms at the Star Inn were mini-suites and that's where we would be staying so we were surprised our room was so tiny. But like I said, the amazing off season atmosphere, completely made up for the small room. We loved it so much, we are thinking of making a trip to Cape May in the winter a new tradition!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple