“Good happy hour, great if you love fruity breakfasts”
Review of The Bacchus Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Bacchus Inn
Ranked #12 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Caldwell, NJ
“Good happy hour, great if you love fruity breakfasts”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Let me start out by saying that the proprietor of this B & B was very, very nice. We also loved the happy hour as it gave us something to do since it rained the entire long weekend that we stayed. And if you really enjoy meeting and chatting with others, the porch at this B & B is a great place to do it.

Having said that, I expected from the name and the info on the website that there would be more to the wine happy hour, instead of just "do you want red or white?" I guess I was led to believe there might be some education on what we were drinking, etc., which there was not (I'm big into wines which is why I selected this particular B & B). Which was fine, albeit a bit disappointing.

I was not thrilled with the breakfast - sorry, not a big "fruitie" - I prefer eggs done the way I like, regular french toast with maple syrup, home made breads, and the like. What we did get was strawberry soup and mushroom omelettes, french toast smothered with berries (ugh) and greek yogurt with peaches, and some kind of baked egg thing with an orange sauce on top (which I think was a roasted red pepper sauce). If you love your fruits, then this is certainly the place for you - not for me!

The room was OK - no view, but I expected that. It's very close to the beach and comfortable enough. I personally like when the sink is actually in the bathroom - Room 5's is not. Overall, just an OK place.

Room Tip: Pick something in the cottage - I heard those rooms were excellent from the other guests.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Badkitty13x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent 4 days in this lovely Inn!
Such gracious hosts,fabulous breakfasts and wine and cheese every afternoon!
The rooms were lovely and the best part was the wonderful wrap around porches to sit in the rockers and relax!

Room Tip: Look at choices. We had a suite in the back. Our adult children had a lovely room on 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Spencernewsock
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I had the good fortune to accidentally find the Bacchus Inn last August when I sought to quietly usher in a milestone birthday. Upon arriving I was warmly welcomed by John at the Inn, which was so lovely, exceeding my high expectations. The "Zinfandel" room where I stayed was beautifully decorated, cozy and CLEAN. Breakfast was a yummy start to the day, of a gourmet caliber and shared with friendly guests, many of whom were repeat visitors. Indeed, they had been staying at the Bacchus Inn every year for some time.
Well, sign me up. I'm ready to start a new tradition, visiting at the Bacchus Inn. The host and hostess are wonderful, the accommodations beautiful and the location ideal. One could easily be spoiled....or at least tempted to also make staying there a new tradition.

Room Tip: Either building is great.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Louise C
Purchase, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful one night stay in the Bacchus Inn's Rioja Room. John was such a friendly and attentive host to us. The room was gorgeous, clean, and very cool which we loved. There were many DVD's in their collection of classics that we were able to choose from. Although we were exploring the Cape during wine and cheese hour, it seems like such a unique and special snack hour. Breakfast in the morning tasted delicious, and if you are a coffee drinker, you are in for a treat! We hope to be back as soon as we get to Cape May again! Thank you for such a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The Rioja room is a bit pricier, but is totally worth it because it comes with a private entrance, o...
1 Thank Emma R
Westport, CT
Reviewed 12 July 2014

John, the owner of this charming B & B, was the perfect host!
When they ran out of newspapers, he immediately jumped on his bicycle and went to a store and got more.
The location of the Bacchus Inn, on Columbia Avenue, is central to everything. If you wish, you can park your car and not have to move it again until time to leave.
Another wonderful time in Cape May.
We know we will return again!

Room Tip: I didn't mind the exercise but a word of warning: Sounds basic but, if you don't like climbi...
2 Thank Orangeman7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This Inn is clean, friendly, quaint and located 2 blocks from the beach and everything worthwhile in Cape May. The proprieter John is a gracious host who has boundless energy and he bends over backwards to make your stay memorable. The breakfast is as nice as you'll find anywhere and the 4 PM to 5 PM wine and cheese a pleasant addition (beats tea and cookies). Also, I do not believe that there is anything that John does not know about restaurants, entertainment, and such in the Cape May/Jersey Shore area. Great Place.

Room Tip: One on the lower floors but not a necessity.
2 Thank Tom C
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here 6/24-6/26. This was our second time at The Bacchus Inn and, once again, it was perfect! The first time we stayed in Room 1, which was lovely, but this trip's Room 4 was outstanding! The bathroom was one of the largest I've seen at any B&B in Cape May. There was a bathtub with two side seats, and also had a rain shower head and a hand-held. Afternoon refreshments include a complimentary glass of wine, lemonade, coffee, tea, cookies, cheese, crackers and spreads. Breakfast the first day we had a fruit cup, cheese blintzes with a cherry topping and a side of sausage. A selection sheet is hung on the doorknob for you to fill out your preferences. Also available instead of a hot meal are cereals. Coffee, tea, juices and muffins are also offered. The second morning our breakfast was a yogurt and fresh pineapple parfait and herbed eggs with a side of the best bacon! John, the owner, is there all the time. He is friendly, personable and has the answer to any question you may have - from where's the best place to eat to what happened to the movie theater. We definitely will go back to The Bacchus.

Room Tip: I rated the sleep quality average because I like fluffy pillows. If you want a large bathroom, you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple