“Might be the worst meal I've ever paid for”
Review of The Real Enchilada - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Real Enchilada
Cuisines: Mexican
Albany, New York area
“Might be the worst meal I've ever paid for”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This restaurant lured me in by being SO convenient to the beach and who doesn't like Mexican food? Do yourself a favor and walk a few extra steps in any direction if you want to eat. Anywhere else you wander is better than this place. We ordered one order each of enchiladas and fajitas, amazingly totaling $35 with two bottles of water. (They won't give customers glasses of tap water. I asked.) The meals were served in styrofoam take-out containers even though we were eating there. They gave us plastic forks but no knives. When I asked what turned out to be the OWNER of the restaurant for a knife for the enchiladas, he told me to cut it with the fork and brusquely informed me that they had no knives and that was the way it is. I had ordered cheese enchiladas, and believe it or not, the enchiladas were empty!!! On top of the enchiladas was lettuce, chopped up tomatoes, and cold grated cheese. The rice was inedible, as it was hard and burned. We were able to eat the black beans that came with the meal; we think they must have come from a can and so turned out to be the best part of the meal. The chicken that came with the fajitas was overcooked and dry. Oh, I almost forgot! The tortillas accompanying the meal were served in a brown lunchbag that was gruffly placed on our table. The lunchbag also contained a container of watery, tasteless salsa. In short, this meal was ENORMOUSLY overpriced, tasted TERRIBLE, the presentation might possibly have been ok for cheap takeout, and the owner was rude and gruff. Taco Bell is better than this place.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sha03

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“service is sketchy but food is good”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I don't know what these other people are talking about but I have had two good lunches here. "Authentic" tacos (chicken, pork, beef) are all good. Quality meat, well seasoned, chips so hot they actually burned my fingers.

The guys working there aren't super invested in their jobs but it's a stupid summer job at the beach - who cares?

Visited August 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Seriously?”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My family and I were BEYOND disappointed with this new place. We thought it'd be great for lunch, since it's right across from the beach. For one thing, they claim to sell "real" and "authentic" Mexican food, and seem to be somewhat arrogant about it (referring to you as a "Gringo" if you get your tacos with lettuce and tomato on it). So please tell me why your logo is so horribly stereotypical of a Mexican drug lord, and why this particular establishment had just two lily-white teenage boys working there? YEAH, really authentic.

Also, when you say you're providing real Mexican food, try not to provide only the bad parts of that (such as the all dark meat chicken in my tacos. It tasted so gross). Maybe dark meat is popular in Mexico, but no one actually wants a dark meat taco in Cape May, New Jersey. I also ordered chips and queso. QUESO is usually in reference to queso blanco, a thick white cheese dip that is usually spicy and delicious. What did I get? A box of semi-stale chips with yellow cheese whiz poured on it. Explain to me how that is authentic?

My mom equally hated her tacos and the chips. And my friend ordered a salad of some kind that had hardly anything on it. To top it all off? Everything is way overpriced. I paid $14 for these horrible chips and two tiny little dark meat tacos. I could have had a really good lunch elsewhere with that money! I just can't believe a place could be this bad in such a good location. We've recommended everyone away from it. Even strangers. YUCK.

• Visited July 2012