“Keep the Ricotta Donuts on the menu!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ebbitt Room

Ebbitt Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Ebbitt Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carpenter's & Beach Drive
Description: Dine at Cape May’s Favorite Seaside Restaurant - Rediscover the newly renovated and re-imagined the Ebbitt Room restaurant located in the heart of the historic district in Cape May. Executive Chef Anthony Micari hones a Farm-to-Table, Farm-to-Glass philosophy featuring the freshest ingredients from our very own Beach Plum Farm. Be delighted by a dining experience where artisanal cocktails, farm-fresh classic American cuisine and a sophisticated, yet casual vibe create the perfect setting for a new Cape May tradition.
“Keep the Ricotta Donuts on the menu!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We visit the Ebbitt Room often and were recently informed that the Ricotta Donuts were being taken off the dessert menu. Apparently these are one of their best selling desserts so it's difficult to understand why they won't remain on the menu. These donuts are some of the best I've had anywhere and it would be a shame to see them taken off the menu. Please keep the donuts on the menu!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Gibbsboro, New Jersey
“Always wanted to go - sorry we went”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

On our past trips to Cape May, I had always wanted to try The Ebbitt Room because of the good reviews I've read. Our reservation was lost, which was not a big deal as they managed to seat us in their incredibly crowded and tightly-packed dining room somehow. Unfortunately for us and all the other diners crushed together, the air was broken The server and waiter were very good. Our drink special of the day, Sangria, was served in a very small wine glass and was mostly ice, to the tune of $12 - but what was there was delicious. I had their deviled egg special which they're known for, and it was very inventive and tasty, as was my husband's lobster Caesar salad - which he said had 3 small chunks of lobster. Our entrees, which were in the $35 range, consisted of 3 - yes, THREE- scallops on top of a small pile of corn and bacon for my husband, and a palm-sized piece of steak and a palm-sized crab cake for me. Which I had to split in half and share with him because he was still hungry. We are by no means big eaters and are sometimes overwhelmed by the size of dishes we get these days, but this was just pretty ridiculous. We walked out feeling pretty much like we'd been taken for a very expensive ($180) and underwhelming ride. Back to the always amazing Washington Inn for us.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank JenniferHanner41
Media, Pennsylvania
“7of us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had reservations for 7:45 and sat on the porch for one hour waiting for our table. The hostess never came out to explain or to offer us complimentary drinks or something. I know this place is dynamic but a one hour wait with a reservation. One of our friends in the party got up and asked about our table. Was told by the hostess they were working on it. He asked again and was told it wouln't be long as we sat and waited longer. Finally we were escorted to our table. No one and I mean no one came over to welcome us or to tell us they would be our waiter. We never even got water. We felt like everyone was avoiding us. We got up and left asking for the manager. The manager and the hostess were the same person. She needs more training on how to keep her customers happy. Seven of us leaving was not a good thing for the restaurant and I am not so sure I want to come back again to see how long they make us wait again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Judy612
Judy612

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review regarding your recent experience at the Ebbitt Room. Certainly, this not indicative of the level of customer service the Ebbitt Room strives to deliver to every guest.
Please be assured that all comments are carefully reviewed and that I have personally addressed the inconveniences you have encountered. In hopes of restoring your faith in us, I would like to offer you to enjoy a gift certificate to use for your next visit and I will personally see to your reservation. Please contact me at trothberg@virginiahotel.com or by phone 609.884.5700.
I apologize again for the inconveniences. We realize that you have many choices for dining while visiting Cape May and trust that your next experience will be positive and a true reflection of the outstanding level of Customer Service the Ebbitt Room strives to provide.
Fair Lawn, New Jersey, USA
“I can't believe you can only give a 5!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Jordan, our waiter, was awesome!!! We had a 5:45 reservation and had delays from traffic. Arrived 15 minutes late, no problem, we were seated right away. In a matter of moments, we were approached by Jordan. Jordan told us all about the local farm as well as the additions to the menu. The Lobster Caesar Salad was excellent, raw oysters with a cucumber vinaigrette that was so good I had to ask for the recipe. It wasn't a secret, they told me what it was!!! I had to go for the deviled eggs that sounded as good as they taste. Next up a 30 oz Rib Eye cooked black and blue to perfection. I fell in love with this place. The attention to detail from appetizer to the main coarse, makes me want to come back for more, too bad I have to wait until 2015. Thank you!!!

• Visited July 2014
JimmyConroy,

Thank you so much for taking the time out after your visit to write a review of your wonderful experience! Your experience is certainly indicative of the type of service we strive to provide here at the Ebbitt Room.

I will be sure to pass along your comments to Jordan and the entire team. We look forward to your visit in 2015 and to providing another memorable meal.
“Normally amazing, this time dissapointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Ebbitt room is one of our favorite restaurants, especially when celebrating special occasions. Last Saturday we went around 6 pm to celebrate our anniversary. Our server Brandon was excellent and so was the food. Though I was a bit surprised that my $34 scallop dinner only contained 3 scallops, I accepted this knowing that most fine dining establishments tend to serve very small portions. I was also satisfied from the deviled egg appetizer which is always delicious. I have to say that this trip was very disappointing due to the fact that three tables down there was a family of five with a screaming infant. The infant screamed from the moment we sat down until the moment we left ( 1 hour later because we couldn't take it anymore). The infant wasn't crying, but just yelling I guess with excitement. I have to say that the other two children were little angels. I believe that it is a parents job to monitor their children's behavior, especially in public. These parents however did not seem to be phased. I love children very much, however I do not think that they belong in a fine dining restaurant like The Ebbitt Room. I'm not sure what the management should have or could have done to alleviate the issue but something would have been better than nothing.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stephlulu

Thank you for sharing your review .

I was delighted to read that you thought so highly of Brandon and of our food. I do apologize that the noise level was not perfect. We get many families with children of all ages that dine with us in the peak season. Children do tend to get excited when they are out and about.

We do welcome you back soon and we look forward to your next visit.