“An exceptional anniversary dinner, start to finish”

Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$30 - US$55
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at the Peter Shields Inn on April 10th.
I had been looking around for a special menu, something that we'd both enjoy. PSI is a restaurant we've partonized in the past, but this evening was really special.
We were escorted to a table / booth with couch seating for me and a very good view for both of us. The restaurant was not busy. We were attended by a server (Amy) and her trainee, who opened our wine, poured it on occasion, but for the most part stayed out of the way while we talked. Which was much appreciated.
We don't get out much anymore, so we had a little of everything - for our appetizer course, the Cape May salt oysters with champagne ice and paddlefish caviar were fresh and delicious, the Yellowfin tartare with compressed mango and avocado really luscious.
We shared a roasted beet salad with peppercorn aioli.
Note : each of these courses was considerately divided by either the kitchen or the servers. We didn't request it, so this extra unsolicited touch was just another way that the restaurant made the night special.
My wife had one of the evening menu additions, a black bass special, cripsy, with red and green bell pepper, potato and edamame hash with papaya vinaigrette - simply outstanding. Fish was crispy, hash was flavorful and creative. My tilefish with chive gnocchi, chanterelle mushrooms and melted (wilted) leeks was excellent, but she made the better choice.
She had a pineapple bread pudding for dessert. I had chocolate-stout sorbet with some really excellent coffee on ice (I had to ask, the company's name is Leaf & Java, and their coffee is really, really good).
Party of two, we sat for about two hours and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience without ever once being rushed or feeling like we were taking up a table. It was a superb experience, and we look forward to going back sometime (maybe soon, maybe not).

2  Thank akai11nj
There are newer reviews for Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We arrived for dinner and were quickly shown to a table. The restaurant was not busy that evening. We brought our own wine, which was a cost savings.
The dinner menu was sparse. I had the halibut and the cream of cauliflower soup. The soup was nothing special and there wasn't much of it. The halibut was poor. It was covered by its own skin which was flabby instead of being crispy. The halibut also had a fairly strong fishy smell which was unappealing. The vegetables were nothing to speak of.
Dessert was average. My spouse and I shared the chocolate cake. The best part of that was the warm and gooey center but the cake itself was dry.

There is no reason to return to this restaurant as there are better choices in Cape May.

5  Thank I M
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was our first trip back to Cape May in about two years and we returned to our favorite restaurant there which now has a new logo, "psi". It has gotten even better. With wonderful food and a knowledgeable staff the only way to improve your experience is to ask for a table with an ocean view.

I can particularly recommend the breast of chicken and salmon entrees as well as the cauliflower soup.

1  Thank PAworldtrvlr
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is a pretty place with attentive and friendly wait staff, but the menu selection is limited, and the food is nothing special. My wife and I had the cream odf celery soup, which was cup-sized, but served in a bowl. It was creamy, but lacked an intense celery flavor. The only steak on the menu was a hangar steak, the cheapest cut out there. It was cooked to order, but there's not too much you can do to make a hangar steak special. Vegetables were in a goppy sauce, concealed under the steak. Halibut was dry and flavorless. Chocolate lava cake was served warm and gooey, the best course in the meal. Coffee was weak. This is a nice place, but definitely not the best restaurant in Cape May.

4  Thank Mervmeister
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Tasting menu was excellent. Every course was a home run. Would highly recommend and remember it is a BYOB