“expected better”

Union Park Dining Room
Ranked #3 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Howard Street
Transit: n/a
Description: Across from the ocean, this elegant dining room serves classic American food with a special touch. Union Park Dining Room received New Jersey Monthly Magazine's 2005 thru 2016 Critics Choice Award as one of the best restaurants in New Jersey. Working his magic behind the scenes, chef John Schatz has overseen the kitchens of some sophisticated eateries in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, including the former Maureen's in Cape May. The large, spacious dining rooms with their fireplaces, cherry & mahogany furniture & antique fixtures are romance personified. Settle in for a memorable meal. Private dining rooms available from 8 to 42 guests. Banquet Facilities: Located in the historic Hotel Macomber, union park dining room is available for both casual & elegant parties, receptions, special occasion dinners or complete weddings. Our facility can host groups up to 130 people, depending on the type of reception you desire.
“expected better”
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Service at Union Park was sub-par for a restaurant that charges fine dining prices. We had a Saturday night reservation and were seated on time. The waitress was very outgoing as she walked us through the menu and the specials -- and then we didn't see her again for a very long time. We had to flag someone down to get bread and it was the host who finally came by (after sitting another nearby table) and took our order. We saw our waitress again when she enthusiastically asked if we wanted dessert and coffee. It's not like she wasn't around -- there was a six person party one table over from us that seemed to be her focus for the evening. The food itself was a disappointment, too, especially after this same waitress assured us that each meal came witha full complement of "vegetable and starch" but what came with the meal was more like a garnish than a side dish. Cape May is a resort town and sometimes the service can be spotty, especially early in the season -- but this was the end of July, surely late enough in the season for the wait staff to have it figured out.

1 Thank bellek9

Philadelphia
“Almost Excellent”
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We dined there recently and for the first time. Appetizers, entrees and service were first class. Crabcakes some of the best I have tried. Two items need more work: their bread which is rather average and the expresso I ordered which was not of the best quality. This is
a restaurant that deserves to be excellent in all respects.

10 Thank Alexandra17
Wildwood Crest
“The best restaurant in Cape May!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2007

My husband and I recently had our wedding reception at Union Park. We could not have asked for a more wonderful experience!! The staff was very accomodating. Everything that we asked for they were more than happy to help us with (and more). The food was exceptional!! And the service could not have been better!!! I recommend this restaurant to everyone whether a small or large party. You'll love it!

12 Thank Megsbee1
Cape May, NJ
“fantastic dining experience”
Reviewed 16 August 2006

My wife and I had dinner at Union Park on Monday (8/14) and the entire experience was fabulous. The food was superb, and the setting was great. It's a little expensive, but well worth it, in my opinion.

16 Thank captmike
Rio Grande, NJ
“Move over, California Grill!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2006

We have a new #1!!

As a reward to myself for completing a 3 day fitness certification course, I brought my wife to Union Park at the Hotel Macomber.

From the service, to the location of the table (great ocean view), to most importantly, the food, it was a 5 star experience!!

For starters, my wife had the asparagus soup, which she still talks about days later! I had the Lobster Salad, great as well.

For entrees, my wife had the Filet toppped with plenty of crabmeat, and I had the Kobe Beef Burger that was off the charts outrageous!!

To sum it all up, California Grill at Disney now takes a back seat (no fault of their own) to Union Park. I would put myself through fitness camp all over again if a meal at Union Park was at the end of it all!

17 Thank Jerry93