“Hidden treasure...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Hidden treasure...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

When I first arrived in Cape May I was directed to Depot Market by the staff across the street in the Welcome Center because there was about a 30 minute delay until a cab could come to take me to my hotel.

It was midday and I'd just got off the bus from Philly after just a snack breakfast so my stomach (still five hours ahead on UK time!) was complaining. I actually walked past the place twice before realising where it was but they made me possibly the best ham sandwich I have ever had so it was a great welcome to Cape May.

On the way back (Labor Day) I dropped in again to get food before the trip back and it really set me up for was a long drag back through the holiday traffic.

This is a 'must do' experience when you visit Cape May.

• Visited September 2013

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Follow the locals to the Depot Market Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I almost didn't want to publish this. The Depot is such a find! Go here when you're tired of the overpriced food in the highly visible tourist restaurants.

The Depot has a large number of entrees available including some delicious sounding specials. You would never expect it if you were driving by due to the restaurant's size.

I enjoyed a crab cake sandwich and my wife ate a salad. After the entree I purchased some amazing carrot cake. The owner makes it fresh every morning. But you gotta be hungry as it's VERY filling.

All of this in a tiny restaurant. Amazing! Sadly, I hear it's for sale. Get it before it's gone folks!

• Visited September 2013
Pennsylvania
“Never disappointed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Yes, it could be described as dinky. Definetly a shack. But after several visits, I love this place! It's off the beaten track, which is a good thing in Cape May, and the locals love it because its fresh! And cheap! Try the shrimp salad if you're lucky that day, sit outside, breath the sea air.

• Visited September 2012
Nashville, TN
“"Dinky" (stole this perfectly descriptive word from another review) place with PHENOMENAL food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

This little hole-in-the-wall shack that you probably would miss driving past it may just be one of the best restaurants in Cape May. If everyone knew how delicious the food was here, it would rival the Lobster House in customers.
It's basically a little wooden outpost take-out place with a kitchen and four tables, but dear Lord in heaven was their food good! It was worth every penny and our four generous meals didn't cost a whole lot of pennies! We had our meal outside on a beautiful sunny day
My daughter and I split a crab cake and French fries and I can say with complete honesty that I've had a lot of crab cakes in my time and this dinky little eatery may just have the best crab cakes I've ever tasted!
Don't miss Cape May's best guarded secret! Not only is the adorably dinky Depot Market Cafe delectable, but its also a great bargain for your buck!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sdippity
Glenwood, NJ
“Quality, freindliness, customer service - what more could one want.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Admittedly, we are Depot Market Cafe marks ... never had chicken pot pie with such a filoesque dough - and the chicken gorgonzola grinder is as good as ever. This little dinky place puts out great food from people who honestly care about your dining experience with them. They are personable and engaging and they don't slack off. You can see it takes a lot of energy to keep up with orders as we were witness to - and yet quality doesn't suffer. Took us a while to "discover" the place after all of our previous Cape May adventures - but since we did find it a few years ago, we always make room on our schedule for a Depot Market take out night.

• Visited June 2013