“Great stay”

Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

After being quoted more than I wanted to pay for a pres-season room I found the Buckingham and got a neat little king room with a small deck with an ocean view.
I was surprised at the little amenities, iron and ironing board, coffee maker and coffee, microwave, fridge, free fast wifi and plenty of cable tv channels.

The room was clean and Janet helped us with everything we needed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank njaneardude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Ours was an impromptu trip to cape may and so we didn't have advanced booking. We looked up tripadvisor and booked a room at this motel. We were pleasantly surprised by the room. Though not fancy it served our needs, especially for the price.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Gkpv
needham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

this hotel may not look like much but are family was treated like kings and queens the staff is friendly and the place was CLEAN and a great value i would rather stay there than the expesive places walking distance to every thing

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank n1rdu
Fort Bragg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

My husband and I love the tidy, unpretentious mom and pop style of The Buckingham Motel.
Right on the main drag across from the beach, The Buckingham has basic amenities that make it all a simple, yet gem of a motel. With prices that are reasonable by Cape May standards, it is easy to forgo the charming B & B environment. About a 1/2 mile from the hub of the touristy environment, you are close enough to walk to everything but far enough away to offer a quiet refuge. They have rooms with kitchenettes, BBQ grills on the grounds, outside shower and clothesline. A simple room has a refridgerator, microwave and coffee pot. What else do you need? Perfect for for those who want to enjoy the beach with no fuss.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheetagirl
delco,pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Cape May so I looked around for a decent hotel. I did some research and I decided to try the Buckingham Motel.We were just the 2 of us so we chose a room with a king size bed. I tell ya, it really is a hidden gem of Cape May.

Nobody is perfect though.

Let me get out the negative things out of the way first :All are VERY minor ,but still have I have to be objective about all this especially to some of you nitpickers out there for the rest of you, forgive the level of detail:

The room was a little smaller than most king or queen hotel/motel rooms for 1-2 guests.I think I saw a small stain on the rug the side of a quarter. They motel is old school with the locks. They only uses keys, not card keys .the blanket between the bedspread and the top flat sheet had some very small holes in it, . The bathrooms toilet was a little old- it was a matted particle board with wood veneer seat. It is technically not a hotel. They call it a motel but its more of a beach house. The toilet was not secure to the floor( the bolts holding the toilet to the floor was a little loose( u can literally wobble the toilet Unlike a hotel or a motel there isn’t someone 24/7 to handle any problems such as noise, getting locked out etc, BUT the owner told me that she could give me a number to reach her if theres any problems but only it was an emergency( understandable). The only reason why I care about these that is because I learned the hard way last year when I stayed someone like that and I had noisy guests above me for half the night and NO number to call to complain or handle it.Check out time is a 10am( kinda rough when it’s a vacation and you might want to sleep in a little . most places have it check out time at 11) BUT the upside is that that Buckinghams check out time is an hour earlier as well (2pm) compared to 3pm elsewhere. The room has no DVD player. The rooms amenities are few and far between. No pool either. Air conditioner was difficult to turn on( it was under the table built into the wall- you had to get down on your knees to adjust it) The shower water pressure is constant( however many are like that) .No WIFI/ internet of any kind. Still, it was fine.( like I said , these are all minor)

Ok now the positives and all are major positives:

Although the room was a little small, it was big enough.Its right near the beach.( on Beach avenue of course ). The staff is very friendly .It has very cheap rates( the cheapest for any beachfront) .The room was very clean ( as clean as ANY room in Cape May , or anywhere else that would end up costing you 50 to 100% extra for!. The entire bed was both very clean and comfortable. The bed contained both a fitted sheet and a flat sheet (worth noting since my last hotel in OC NJ uses only 2 flat sheets causing them to easily pull out of the bed at night)). I caught the maid just finishing up our room and I asked for more towels .She generously gave me several. It is a very quiet area of Cape may yet still close pretty to the beach( on the far end).microwave was clean. The room has a phone, and cable tv. The fridge was good – it could freeze as well as just refrigerate. Room contained blowdryer+ ironing board.Powerful Air Conditioning. The shower had good water pressure with a pretty good spray and a comfortable not slip tub.Bathub was attractive plastic walls(see photo).The pillows even appeared to have a hypoallergenic dust cover(see photo)!

Now,I realize that a room with so few amenities may not appeal to some people. But I tell I would stay here than 90% of the hotels ive ever been in. To me, a safe, quiet, cheap and clean room that’s close to the beach is tops in my book. And I tell you, if I ever venture to Cape May again, I will stay at Buckingham as long as it is STILL safe, quiet, ,cheap and clean, and the only reason I don’t give this 5 stars is because of the very minor negatives I listed above. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank matfromdelco
Somewhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

I stayed here for two nights in a motel room at the right-side of the building.

The woman at the reception was friendly and check-in went quickly. The room was not very large, but comfortable enough. There'a a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and TV in the room. The bathroom was OK. There's also an outside shower at the back of the building where you can take a shower after going to the beach. I could actually see the beach and the sea from my room when I had the door open.

They also do a lot on recycling and protecting the environment - which is a good thing.

It's a 30-35 min. walk from the bus depot (which is right near the visitor center where you can pick up free maps).

Overall a nice place to stay in Cape May at one of the best rates.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ojys
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

This motel is a small gem in a great location for the price. The motel itself is a typical, very small, no frills shore motel, but who spends time inside the motel room when you're down the shore. From reading other reviews before I went, I thought the rooms would be extremely small, but they're not. They are a decent size for a motel room. It is located right across the street from the ocean on Beach Ave.(all hotels/motels are across the street, none are on the beach). Sure it was a little outdated, but the rooms were very clean. There are many other larger hotels/motels along the street, but all are more expensive. If you are a person who has a hard time walking, it is a little further from the main "promenade", but not much. The only downside is that there is no pool, but again, why go to the beach/ocean if you want to swim in a pool!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple