“Cheap, but there are other options off season”
Review of Buckingham Motel

Buckingham Motel
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New Jersey
“Cheap, but there are other options off season”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This motel is right on the beach, and if you can get a beach front room it is a bargain for Cape May. The rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. But, if you don't get a beach front room it feels divey and a little isolated being in a room on the first floor. The hotel is however cheap.

Bring food as there aren't any vending machines, which really isn't a big deal. Also, the location is nice and there is parking, but all hotels have parking. They do have grills outside, but I have no idea if they are clean or not. The front desk closes very early off season like by 4:00 pm. There is an emergency number though. The rooms were clean, but the the lights outside of the room were filthy. They were all full of bugs and really needed to be cleaned. It was actually pretty gross.

The feel of the hotel is a little bit snippy. They have a note in the room that if you feel the need to use all of the pillows put the ones with the shams behind the other ones. It's absurd. And they have signs about no sand in the room, equally absurd when you are staying by the beach.

They know they are cheap, so if you think because you are a repeat guest that you'll get anything special like a thank you for coming you won't. Check out is at 10 am which is crazy and you better be out by 10 on the dot, no exceptions. Period.

For the peak season the place is cheap. Off season though I don't think I would stay again and probably stay at a place a little more updated with a staff that is on a little longer even if it cost me some more money.

It really depends what you want. If you want to save a bunch of money then it's worth it. But if it's a matter of 50 dollars between a few people, well then I wouldn't say it's worth it

Room Tip: You need a beach front room. If you ask for the apartment you have to take care not to be noisy. I...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank whatithinknj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Newark, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I've stayed at the Buckingham Motel for over 20 years for vacations, both in the summer and during Thanksgiving. My brother and his wife have stayed there as well. There is NO better bargain in Cape May than the Buckingham. It's right across the street from the beach and has ample parking. The rooms are cleaned daily w/clean towels every day. Each room has a hair dryer, iron board/iron & extra linens. The efficiency rooms have table/chairs and everything in the kitchen but food (seriously). The staff is cheerful and very accommodating. Each room has outdoor chairs for sitting or sunning. There are picnic tables if you'd prefer to eat outside. This place is convenient to most of the shopping or restaurants in town. You can't beat this bargain!

Room Tip: If you have a family, opt for the efficiency; it will offer you more options/room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank cathfisch_DE
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have stayed at this hotel two years in a row and are returning this summer. It's such a great value for the area, and we typically spend most of our time at the beach or walking around window shopping. The rooms are clean and it's walking distance to everything.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sonia R
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed at this motel Presidents Day weekend with 2 other couples, right on the beach, rooms clean, beds comfortable & price right! Will definately stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank heatherwildchild
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in here in September .My husband and I wanted to enjoy a little romantic getaway together enjoying the beach, sun, and fresh air. We have been coming down to Cape May for years. Then last year the prices went up a little bit. I’m sorry, but this is a little ridiculous .Seriously was just I don’t get it. They used to be cheaper . long before and after labor day. I remember last year when we came that it was cheaper than this... and a great value considering if you just want a clean room. Well yes you get a clean room but the prices went up! We are in a recession people! Give us a break! Maybe they think they can put one over on us but they got another thing coming! I won’t be returning here again. Ill try the Grand hotel of the Sandpiper beach one. 2 of my colleagues stayed in both and they were ok to them! You pay more money but you get a lot more and not all of them force you to do 3 nights in a row! Beware of prices going up.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pennadoctor49
New York
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This is NOT the Ritz....just a motel room...clean...but extremely outdated....If you're looking for an affordable place to sleep in Cape May, then this is it. Barbeques provided outside are antiques as well...loved the plastic flowers! LOL!!!

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I read the reviews on trip advisor before I booked and I thought it would be much better. Thank God I only stayed there one night. True the room was pretty clean and it had many conveniences like a fridge, microwave, etc. But, I dreaded the thought of having to spend the night in that bed. The bed looked about 30 years old and it had a foam cushion on top with the oldest blankets and sheets I ever saw. The bed almost felt sticky. Yuukk. I couldnt get a good night sleep cause I kept thinking that there might be bed bugs in it. They really need some new beds. As for price it wasnt that cheap, I spent $180 for one night. That might be cheap for Cape May I dont know. Good thing was the parking, beach across the street and the staff was extremely nice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family