My girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Cape May so I looked around for a decent hotel. I did some research and I decided to try the Buckingham Motel.We were just the 2 of us so we chose a room with a king size bed. I tell ya, it really is a hidden gem of Cape May.
Nobody is perfect though.
Let me get out the negative things out of the way first :All are VERY minor ,but still have I have to be objective about all this especially to some of you nitpickers out there for the rest of you, forgive the level of detail:
The room was a little smaller than most king or queen hotel/motel rooms for 1-2 guests.I think I saw a small stain on the rug the side of a quarter. They motel is old school with the locks. They only uses keys, not card keys .the blanket between the bedspread and the top flat sheet had some very small holes in it, . The bathrooms toilet was a little old- it was a matted particle board with wood veneer seat. It is technically not a hotel. They call it a motel but its more of a beach house. The toilet was not secure to the floor( the bolts holding the toilet to the floor was a little loose( u can literally wobble the toilet Unlike a hotel or a motel there isn’t someone 24/7 to handle any problems such as noise, getting locked out etc, BUT the owner told me that she could give me a number to reach her if theres any problems but only it was an emergency( understandable). The only reason why I care about these that is because I learned the hard way last year when I stayed someone like that and I had noisy guests above me for half the night and NO number to call to complain or handle it.Check out time is a 10am( kinda rough when it’s a vacation and you might want to sleep in a little . most places have it check out time at 11) BUT the upside is that that Buckinghams check out time is an hour earlier as well (2pm) compared to 3pm elsewhere. The room has no DVD player. The rooms amenities are few and far between. No pool either. Air conditioner was difficult to turn on( it was under the table built into the wall- you had to get down on your knees to adjust it) The shower water pressure is constant( however many are like that) .No WIFI/ internet of any kind. Still, it was fine.( like I said , these are all minor)
Ok now the positives and all are major positives:
Although the room was a little small, it was big enough.Its right near the beach.( on Beach avenue of course ). The staff is very friendly .It has very cheap rates( the cheapest for any beachfront) .The room was very clean ( as clean as ANY room in Cape May , or anywhere else that would end up costing you 50 to 100% extra for!. The entire bed was both very clean and comfortable. The bed contained both a fitted sheet and a flat sheet (worth noting since my last hotel in OC NJ uses only 2 flat sheets causing them to easily pull out of the bed at night)). I caught the maid just finishing up our room and I asked for more towels .She generously gave me several. It is a very quiet area of Cape may yet still close pretty to the beach( on the far end).microwave was clean. The room has a phone, and cable tv. The fridge was good – it could freeze as well as just refrigerate. Room contained blowdryer+ ironing board.Powerful Air Conditioning. The shower had good water pressure with a pretty good spray and a comfortable not slip tub.Bathub was attractive plastic walls(see photo).The pillows even appeared to have a hypoallergenic dust cover(see photo)!
Now,I realize that a room with so few amenities may not appeal to some people. But I tell I would stay here than 90% of the hotels ive ever been in. To me, a safe, quiet, cheap and clean room that’s close to the beach is tops in my book. And I tell you, if I ever venture to Cape May again, I will stay at Buckingham as long as it is STILL safe, quiet, ,cheap and clean, and the only reason I don’t give this 5 stars is because of the very minor negatives I listed above. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Buckingham Motel is an oceanfront getaway location that provides affordable rooms with a full range of amenities. Our location allows you to take advantage of Cape May's sparkling white sand beaches, entertaining local seashore activities, quaint historic surroundings, and gourmet eateries. Our commitment to you, our valued customer, and Cape May shines through in all of our services, including our meticulous attention to details and all of our amenities. It is always our top priority to provide you with hospitable service in order to make your stay in beautiful Cape May as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. At The Buckingham Motel, we are here to cater to your every need and look to be a vacation destination for you and your family for years to come! If you, your family and friends are looking for motels in NJ or beach motels with breathtaking views at affordable rates, please get in touch with our friendly staff at The Buckingham Motel today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Buckingham Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buckingham Motel Cape May, New Jersey
- Buckingham Hotel Cape May