“Cheap and clean and close to the beach!”
Review of Buckingham Motel

Buckingham Motel
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
delco,pa
“Cheap and clean and close to the beach!”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Cape May so I looked around for a decent hotel. I did some research and I decided to try the Buckingham Motel.We were just the 2 of us so we chose a room with a king size bed. I tell ya, it really is a hidden gem of Cape May.

Nobody is perfect though.

Let me get out the negative things out of the way first :All are VERY minor ,but still have I have to be objective about all this especially to some of you nitpickers out there for the rest of you, forgive the level of detail:

The room was a little smaller than most king or queen hotel/motel rooms for 1-2 guests.I think I saw a small stain on the rug the side of a quarter. They motel is old school with the locks. They only uses keys, not card keys .the blanket between the bedspread and the top flat sheet had some very small holes in it, . The bathrooms toilet was a little old- it was a matted particle board with wood veneer seat. It is technically not a hotel. They call it a motel but its more of a beach house. The toilet was not secure to the floor( the bolts holding the toilet to the floor was a little loose( u can literally wobble the toilet Unlike a hotel or a motel there isn’t someone 24/7 to handle any problems such as noise, getting locked out etc, BUT the owner told me that she could give me a number to reach her if theres any problems but only it was an emergency( understandable). The only reason why I care about these that is because I learned the hard way last year when I stayed someone like that and I had noisy guests above me for half the night and NO number to call to complain or handle it.Check out time is a 10am( kinda rough when it’s a vacation and you might want to sleep in a little . most places have it check out time at 11) BUT the upside is that that Buckinghams check out time is an hour earlier as well (2pm) compared to 3pm elsewhere. The room has no DVD player. The rooms amenities are few and far between. No pool either. Air conditioner was difficult to turn on( it was under the table built into the wall- you had to get down on your knees to adjust it) The shower water pressure is constant( however many are like that) .No WIFI/ internet of any kind. Still, it was fine.( like I said , these are all minor)

Ok now the positives and all are major positives:

Although the room was a little small, it was big enough.Its right near the beach.( on Beach avenue of course ). The staff is very friendly .It has very cheap rates( the cheapest for any beachfront) .The room was very clean ( as clean as ANY room in Cape May , or anywhere else that would end up costing you 50 to 100% extra for!. The entire bed was both very clean and comfortable. The bed contained both a fitted sheet and a flat sheet (worth noting since my last hotel in OC NJ uses only 2 flat sheets causing them to easily pull out of the bed at night)). I caught the maid just finishing up our room and I asked for more towels .She generously gave me several. It is a very quiet area of Cape may yet still close pretty to the beach( on the far end).microwave was clean. The room has a phone, and cable tv. The fridge was good – it could freeze as well as just refrigerate. Room contained blowdryer+ ironing board.Powerful Air Conditioning. The shower had good water pressure with a pretty good spray and a comfortable not slip tub.Bathub was attractive plastic walls(see photo).The pillows even appeared to have a hypoallergenic dust cover(see photo)!

Now,I realize that a room with so few amenities may not appeal to some people. But I tell I would stay here than 90% of the hotels ive ever been in. To me, a safe, quiet, cheap and clean room that’s close to the beach is tops in my book. And I tell you, if I ever venture to Cape May again, I will stay at Buckingham as long as it is STILL safe, quiet, ,cheap and clean, and the only reason I don’t give this 5 stars is because of the very minor negatives I listed above. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank matfromdelco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Somewhere
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I stayed here for two nights in a motel room at the right-side of the building.

The woman at the reception was friendly and check-in went quickly. The room was not very large, but comfortable enough. There'a a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and TV in the room. The bathroom was OK. There's also an outside shower at the back of the building where you can take a shower after going to the beach. I could actually see the beach and the sea from my room when I had the door open.

They also do a lot on recycling and protecting the environment - which is a good thing.

It's a 30-35 min. walk from the bus depot (which is right near the visitor center where you can pick up free maps).

Overall a nice place to stay in Cape May at one of the best rates.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ojys
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This motel is a small gem in a great location for the price. The motel itself is a typical, very small, no frills shore motel, but who spends time inside the motel room when you're down the shore. From reading other reviews before I went, I thought the rooms would be extremely small, but they're not. They are a decent size for a motel room. It is located right across the street from the ocean on Beach Ave.(all hotels/motels are across the street, none are on the beach). Sure it was a little outdated, but the rooms were very clean. There are many other larger hotels/motels along the street, but all are more expensive. If you are a person who has a hard time walking, it is a little further from the main "promenade", but not much. The only downside is that there is no pool, but again, why go to the beach/ocean if you want to swim in a pool!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WeirdNJ
Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Just stayed for a weekend at the Buckingham - a selection made based on these reviews. We found the Buckingham to be absoutely perfect for our needs and even made us question why we spend so much at other hotels for the "frills". Staff was exceptionally friendly at both check in and whenever we asked a question. Our room was incredibly clean with a coffee maker, fridge and microwave (almost an efficiency) and really nice decor. Loved the fact that majority of the rooms are first floor opening onto a lawn area with lounge chairs, patio tables and grills at your disposal. It is an easy 1/2 block walk to the main beach entrance (its located across the street from the beach but you must talk to the actual entrance). Walking to the historic area is indeed a walk but since all the major hotels seemed to be located in the same area as the Buckingham- it really would be no different whereever you stayed. The Buckingham is a definate "throwback" to the classic motel but you simply can't beat its cost (versus almost every other hotel in Cape May let alone the B&Bs) , its location and its utter charm. We had a ball there and plan on returning. Many thanks to all the positive reviewers on this site who led us there!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WBBallFan001
Allentown, PA
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My wife and I were looking for a value hotel in Cape May and chose the Buckingham based on positive reviews. Honestly, after staying there I really have lost faith in the whole review system!
While the location across the street from the beach is excellent, the rest of the experience was not. The check in is in a little room no more than 3 feet by 4 feet. I thought that the woman that checked us in just wanted to hand us a key so that she could get on to the phone call she was on.
Our room was barely larger than the bed, with an extremely small sink tucked in a corner by the door with no place to put anything. The a/c was either all or nothing and very loud in that small room. The door locks were older and didn't seem at all safe to me.
I realize that summer rates are very high at the shore but what the hotel was charging does not match what you get at all. The bathroom was very small. I walked about two blocks closer to the main part of town and found 3 hotels that were of better quality and for just slightly more ($20-30 per night after inquiring at the front desks) and had more amenities. I wished that I would have ignored the reviews and paid a few dollars more to have a pool and restaurants.
This motel is truely just a place to crash at night.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Trekker85
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed at Buckingham Motel 2 nights with 2 small children. The location could not have been better. The only noise to be heard were the waves crashing right across the street. It is in reasonable walking distance to lots of shopping areas. We stayed in Apt #1, which was very roomy and clean. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank darlad615
Princeton
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Cape May is structured so that a majority of the motels/hotels are along the street closest to the ocean (i.e., Beach Drive) while the B&B's are slightly more inland. If you are looking to stay in town without looking for a B&B, the Buckingham Motel seems to be one of the best locations to stay for the price. Our room had the standard amenities that are expected in a motel - king bed, TV, refrig., and microwave - and the room cost was less than any other location that was advertised to us that weekend. I would recommend this motel to anyone who is simply looking for a place to stay with a good location at a good price.

The motel is located one block away from the shoreline, approximately 3-4 blocks away from "the mall" (a main strip of stores/restaurants/pubs), and approximately 5 minutes from the Cape May lighthouse. That said, there are approximately 10 (maybe more?) hotels/motels in the general area that are just as close to the above attractions, but they are likely to end up costing you more. This is likely to be the cheapest place to stay in Cape May that still offers the amenities that are expected in a better quality motel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple