“Family Vacation”
Review of Cape May KOA

Cape May KOA
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family and I stayed here for Fourth of July weekend. We have a somewhat large family and stayed in the brand new, and beautiful cabins. We just happened to be the first people to stay in these cabins. I must say for the price, location, and holiday it was a perfect fit. They covered every detail in these cabins. We were quite spoiled going "camping" when we had a stunning cabin. Just remember about the water smell. (Like Eggs) Since they are going through renovations we tried to keep that in mind. Their office was not fully finished, or the game room(which would have been great for the kids). It was a bit crowded in the lake and the pool. I would give this place another try maybe not on a holiday. The staff was great and very accommodating. All in all, a great family vacation with wonderful memories and laughs.

Room Tip: Get a cabin!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

As a 7 yr seasonal I can say things are definitely improved this year. What I don't understand is SJannmarie's review of the lake bbq. I was there, ate the same food as everyone else, and the only negative reaction I had was based on the fact I only have 1 stomach. This was easily the best bbq Chuck has done. Nobody I know had any problems with their meals. Maybe this other reviewer should learn a little more about bbq'd meats before complaining about the pink. Just saying. Keep up the good work Lake Laurie and Chuck. You have turned the corner and are my preferred shore destination.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013

In spite of the horrific reviews we considered staying here. We proceeded online to book however requested a call back to discuss because of our lengthy 42 foot 5th wheel. Never got a call. Sent some local friends to "check it out" and were informed there was NO WAY it was going to work for us - so we called (3 days prior to arrival) to cancel. I was told on the phone "there would probably be a cancellation fee but she didn't know how much it would be" (never heard that one before). Well as you guessed it we were charged for the ENTIRE booking. Submitted a request for a call back. Never got a call. Contacted them again and was told their policy is to charge at booking and then send a refund check back to the purchaser's address. Never got a check. A month later we are still dealing with it. Their policies are ambiguous and the campground is blaming their corporate offices and their corporate offices say it's the campground. Buyer BEWARE!! This place does not have it's act together whatsoever.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank TennLV
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This resort was just purchased from a company who did not take care of the place. We have a Motorhome and did not book last year because it just wasnt very nice. We had heard that the place had changed big time, so we decided to try. We were pleasantly surprised on how much improved the new owners made in such a short time. New roads, much cleaner, pleasant managers. We will definately be going back.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Had the DJ at the lake with a big BBQ, or was unfortunate that they ran out of rolls and ribs. That was disappointing. Thing that turned me off was chef Chuck picking food up with his BARE hands! Of or were a restaurant they board of health would have shut him down! Also know a few people who ended up spending they night in they toilet. I didn't notice but I heard someone say they sausage was still pink in they middle. Come in Chuck, u should know better.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SJannmarie
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked 3 nights for two families before I read the reviews. After reading them I freaked out and thought I had made a huge mistake. So I called the reservations office and the gentleman was very nice and reassuring. We camped with a motorhome and a 5th wheel. The main road has been paved, there is a new pool, the camp store/office looks new and the lake is beautiful. We were greeted and checked in by very friendly staff. Our site was pretty good. The motor home site had an electric issue so they hooked up with us. They eventually came and fixed it as promised. The bath houses do still need some work but usable. We could see that they did a lot of work on the bathrooms. We thought they were clean and usable. Everywhere we went there was staff working and improving this campground. The only complaint we would have at this point are the mosquitos. They have the campground sprayed every week and they are working on getting the standing water removed. I think that issue too will be fixed. The location is perfect. We were in Wildwood and Cape May in minutes. We want to return and ride our bikes to the ferry for the day. We had a wonderful time at Lake Laurie and intend for this to become our preferred campground for when we're in the Cape May/Wildwood area. After several hours of research, I know this is the best priced campground in Cape May County. The staff was so, so friendly. We had a great time...Thanks, Lake Laurie and Sun RV.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray which you should do when camping anyway and we had citronella torches that really he...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I just came back from two nights at Lake Laurie. To be honest it was the only place I could on no notice. I was aware all the poor reviews but had no other options and decided to try it since it is under new ownership. You can tell some issues have been addressed and others ignored. The store, the pool, lake and snack area are nice. I see no issues there.

The bathrooms are poor at , lights not working, missing shower heads, missing faucet handles, dirty and just not very nice in general. I'd rather have clean and working bathrooms than a new snack bar and game room.

The campsites themselves are just so so. The first site I got did had an electrical box with capped off wires and had debris and some trash in it. Also tight for my 28' Class C to get into. The second site again no power, but maintenance reset the breaker and it was good. But this site had too had to be cleaned of leaves and branches before I would take it. The fire rings are junk from old drums.

I was told by some of the seasonal campers that it much better than before, roads have been improved, trees trimmed, abandon trailers removed. All I could think of that it must of been real bad before the new owners took over.

I not go back this year, but give it try next year when the new owners have had a full season of operations to set things right.

3  Thank krazyguy1962
#5 of 37 in Cape May
Seashore Campsites & RV Resort
Holly Shores Camping Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort
Big Timber Lake Family Camping R...
#1 of 5 in Cape May Court House
Congress Hall
Congress Hall
#6 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Cape May KOA? Share your experiences!