Beach Shack is a laid back surfer atmosphere with a terrific location, just across the beach. After having read numerous reviews before our stay, I was prepared for the dated decor and general run down condition of the motel. Personally I didn't mind the decor, many of the important things had been upgraded, such as the super comfy beds with upscale linens and crisp white duvets. Lots of assorted comfy pillows.
I love when hotel bedding has those layers of thin cotton blankets, sheets and duvets, rather than a stiff nasty old bedspread. Beds A+.
Yes the bathroom is dated. But there was plenty of hot water whenever I needed it and the towels were thick and plush and we were quickly given extra upon request. There was no fan in the bathroom, but there was a window which is a plus for me. Bathroom C.
Yes the carpet was yucky, and our feet were dirty from walking on it. Wood floors would be a classy upgrade. The general feel of the room was damp, this improved a little after three days, but it was hard to dry out wet items. There are no laundry facilities at the motel or anywhere near it we were told.
I do remember reading that this place was bought before the recession with plans to demolish it and build a plush resort. That may be the reason they haven't put a lot of time and money into renovation. It still works as is, if you are looking for a casual relaxed stay, which I was.
The Rusty Nail was just below our room and was somewhat noisy and crowded but not after 10 pm. The fire pit is interesting but I found the crowd there somewhat loud and obnoxious. I didn't want to spend as much time there as I thought I would.
The umbrella and chair beach service can't be beat and it was one of the main reasons I picked Beach Shack. So convenient.
Would I stay at Beach Shack again?
Hmm, I really want to try Congress Hall again, I stayed there about ten years ago and loved it. If I had to pay prime season rates I don't think Beach Shack would be worth it. We stayed just after Labor Day so priced were reasonable.
So, maybe I would stay there again, after I tried a couple of other places first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Beach Shack is a fresh, new, fun alternative for beachfront vacations. You will feel comfortable wearing your flip flops all day long. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotel.de, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Beach Shack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beach Shack Hotel Cape May
- Beach Shack Cape May, New Jersey