“Casual Cape May” 4 of 5 bubbles

Beach Shack
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
“Casual Cape May”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Beach Shack is a laid back surfer atmosphere with a terrific location, just across the beach. After having read numerous reviews before our stay, I was prepared for the dated decor and general run down condition of the motel. Personally I didn't mind the decor, many of the important things had been upgraded, such as the super comfy beds with upscale linens and crisp white duvets. Lots of assorted comfy pillows.
I love when hotel bedding has those layers of thin cotton blankets, sheets and duvets, rather than a stiff nasty old bedspread. Beds A+.
Yes the bathroom is dated. But there was plenty of hot water whenever I needed it and the towels were thick and plush and we were quickly given extra upon request. There was no fan in the bathroom, but there was a window which is a plus for me. Bathroom C.
Yes the carpet was yucky, and our feet were dirty from walking on it. Wood floors would be a classy upgrade. The general feel of the room was damp, this improved a little after three days, but it was hard to dry out wet items. There are no laundry facilities at the motel or anywhere near it we were told.
I do remember reading that this place was bought before the recession with plans to demolish it and build a plush resort. That may be the reason they haven't put a lot of time and money into renovation. It still works as is, if you are looking for a casual relaxed stay, which I was.
The Rusty Nail was just below our room and was somewhat noisy and crowded but not after 10 pm. The fire pit is interesting but I found the crowd there somewhat loud and obnoxious. I didn't want to spend as much time there as I thought I would.
The umbrella and chair beach service can't be beat and it was one of the main reasons I picked Beach Shack. So convenient.
Would I stay at Beach Shack again?
Hmm, I really want to try Congress Hall again, I stayed there about ten years ago and loved it. If I had to pay prime season rates I don't think Beach Shack would be worth it. We stayed just after Labor Day so priced were reasonable.
So, maybe I would stay there again, after I tried a couple of other places first.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Woodfirequeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chalfont, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed here with my wife, 11-year-old daughter and a friend in late August. Our basic room on the second floor was clean, and from deck outside had a nice view of the ocean and the fire pit that is the center of activity at the hotel's bar and restaurant The Rusty Nail. This is a beachfront motel, so if you are you used to the spacious accommodations and marble-accented luxury of a modern hotel you'll be disappointed. The bathroom, while clean and functional, was quite small. Each room is cooled by its own window air conditioner. Ours had a mini fridge and microwave, a flat screen cable TV and small sofa that was wedged in next to two double beds. The motel has a small pool that was popular with the girls. The week we were there, it was swarming with kids. All that said, we had a very nice 3-day stay. The staff at the hotel and The Rusty Nail are quite friendly and helpful. What made our stay were the intangibles like the great location at the south end of Cape May and the beach service that sets you up with chairs and umbrellas for free, no need to lug your own back and forth. The Rusty Nail and its open air bar was also very cool, with a nice crowd around happy hour and into the early evening, live music and a fire pit you can sit around and order food and drink. Very relaxing just sit on one of the chairs in front of our room after a day at the beach and do a little people watching. Not sure I'd want to spend a whole week in one of the smallish rooms, but it was perfect for a three-night stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor so you have a view of the ocean.
3 Thank proscribe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We were in rooms 100, 101 and 104. There were 9 of us and I just had to keep reminding myself that this is a Motel and NOT a hotel! Jennifer, in reception was wonderful and lovely. Check in was swift. We were there early, so we all just sat at the pool. The rooms we had were next to the pool, so convenience got an A+. On the other hand, being next to the pool, they were a little musty smelling, but once the a/c was cranked up a little, the smell was gone. I heard that the rooms were recently renovated, but they need to be spruced up. They have a very sad dark look to them. This is a shore property and unless they were just going for tired and cheap, they need to rethink the decor. The bathrooms are quite small and could use refreshing. All in all, the room is quite large and there seems to be enough closet and drawer space.There is a small fridge and a coffee maker. It could also use more lighting. The staff at the motel and pool were very friendly. There are lots of lounge chairs at the pool yet it did not seem congested. The pool is small and there is a 'token' children's section. Very tiny. There is a small covered area near reception that had two round tables and chairs for a respite from the sun or evening activities. The Rusty Nail is just steps away and so breakfast was very easy to get to. The location is fine. A ten minute or so walk to Washington Square. We normally stay at Congress Hall, but because we were only staying for three nights this year we could not stay there. Would we stay at Beach Shack again? I would prefer not to, but the rest of the crew...20 somethings and 50 somethings all said they would if Congress Hall was out of the question.

Room Tip: rooms in the building where reception is where the pool is located
1 Thank MITIJ
Thousand Oaks, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Don't get me wrong, the location of this hotel is wonderful. We checked into a room we had reserved a couple of months earlier as we were informed that it was nearly impossible to get a room here in early July. First thing we notice when we check in is a musty, moldy, damp smell. We were told that a dehumidifier and leaving the air conditioner on would rectify this, it didn't. The carpets were damp the whole time we were there and the idea of needing a towel to wipe your feet BEFORE you got into bed is ridiculous. We also had other various issues, like some electrical bug that would render the lighting and outlets near the bathroom useless, we had to wait to finish getting ready until they could sort out the issues. Speaking of bugs, there were a couple of squashed bugs on the walls, this did NOT help with the decor. The door locks were virtually impossible to turn, so only I could actually open the door with the key, our friends in the room next door suffered with the same issue. I don't mind paying for accommodations that are as advertised, but this was ridiculous. My wife and daughters all left the hotel when we checked out with a sore throat, one could assume that it was due to the damp and moldy conditions in the room. Considering that the owner of this property also owns several other hotels right in the area, I would expect that they perhaps are also not exactly what they are advertised to be. I was VERY disappointed in our stay, and would welcome anyone from the hotel to tell me why anyone would want to stay here in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank flyingpuck

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

I would not trash the motel as others have done and will give you the pros and cons of staying at the Beach Shack. Pros - efficient checkin (we have not checked out yet so I can't comment), attentive service (we needed more towels and shampoo/conditioners -they brought up in 10 minutes), ability to place my room near my friend which was a plus, our room choice was perfect and spacious (we had the plus room that can sleep up to 6 and had a huge semi private balcony over looking the beach). The beds and AC were great. On our first day we enjoyed the beach amenities (same as Congress Hall CG - love not having to bring all that stuff from home). Ok now for the cons - well the carpet is yucky and the bath is very dated! The pool tile is coming off, the flooring on our balcony needs to be resurfaced. You are associated with CH - why can't you offer the same toiletries - I love the Aveda products - and hey the price of my room is the same as CH. We have stayed there for over 10 years but it had no vacancy when reserving a few weeks ahead. I wouldn't run I would just be cautious about staying here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank tl56
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Room was disappointing. Rug was filthy-cut my finger on the chipped laminate on the bedside table. Could never get door open or locked- tried three keys- management told me to "jiggle" door to open. Bathroom door wouldn't close. Small wall unit to air condition 2 rooms- at "66 degrees" it was so hot in the room our fudge melted Décor pitiful- room cramped- no sitting area as described. Rusty nail OK but late in evening- too loud, too many intoxicated people in court especially for young children coming back form evening activities. Room ridiculously overpriced- location good- Had to wait 20 minutes in line for umbrella and beach chairs included in price- Perhaps we stayed in a section not renovated but it was advertised as "opened in May" - you would have expected it would have looked nicer- wish I hadn't spent the money here- Would never recommend- in over 35 years of staying in Cape May- worst hotel I ever stayed at.

Room Tip: No elevator- if you have trouble with stairs- ask for a ground floor
3 Thank singlemom2013
Brick, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Paid $430 for a one night stay on a Saturday in August. For that price, I am expecting the owners to put some money back into the place. When I saw the website, the photos of the rooms looked clean and up-to-date. They must have been photo-shopped. The room had a musty smell, I think coming from the air conditioner. I wore sandals in the room the whole time, as I did not want to step with my bare feet on the old carpet, which was sort-of vacuumed. The mirror had some sort of black marks on it. There were a few flies in the room too, which we proceeded to hunt down and kill as soon as we got in the room. The bathroom is very dated too. It is one of those kinds of places that no matter how hard housekeeping works, they just can't get it to look clean because it's all so old and worn out. Oh, and the fridge had a funny smell too. I just think that for the price, they could repaint, , add new floors, and update the bathrooms. The place is a goldmine - - nice pool, cool outdoor bar, restaurant with bands, etc. Lots of potential to be an A+ place, but like I said, the owners need to "give back" to the place and give those rooms a facelift! I hate when I go to a hotel/motel room and I feel like I can't just kick back and feel at home because I am afraid some sort of germs are lurking on the old carpet or seat cushions. The place is very kid-friendly, and we were going to bring our 10 month old daughter, but I am glad we didn't because there is no way I could've let her crawl around on those floors. Appearance leaves a lasting impression and this room just didn't fit the bill for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms are "worn out." Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple