“Not a good hotel to stay at!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beach Shack

Beach Shack
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Not a good hotel to stay at!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked a trip for a weekend in October. I called the next day. Less than 24 hours to cancel it. Because we found out my husband had a business trip that week. They wouldn't not give me my money back. Their policy is will refund up to so many days before you check in. I cancel over a month before the trip. I had to get my credit card company involved. I have stayed at the congress hall many times. Never had one problem. This place has gotta a lot of bad reviews. It's ashame because they are part of the congress hall group. Very disappoint with this hotel! I don't recommend staying here, please read all the review, or you may be disappoint in your stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Htholdings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Perfect hotel in Cape May. All of the hotels in Cape May are across a small street from the beach. You can't find a better location. The hotel is top notch. Rooms are very clean, the beds extremely comfortable, and the staff friendly. Our favorite part is the fire pit. Across from the pool is a sandy area with a bar/restaurant. You can sit at a table in the sand in front of a warm bonfire. They have local musicians play every night.

The town is very quaint and historical. Make sure you go to sunset beach at sunset. It is gorgeous!

Do not spend money on a whale watch. There are no whales in the area. You only see a few dolphins.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shanchicago
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

the 'shack' is the most unique, well laid out, attention to artistic detail hotel i found on tripadvisor from california. when i arrived, i saw all the other places i checked out. thrilled i choose the 'beach shack'. the rusty nail restaurant played live music to create an ambiance of 'ocean life'. the food was fantastic. the room was clean & comfortable w/great bedding! the peeps that run the shack & restaurant were smiley & extremely courteous. the view from the 3rd floor was spectacular. everyone made my stay so simple & wonderful. i was there so see my son graduate from the coast guard. i would love to go back again...& will!

Room Tip: rooms on the rusty nail side allowed you to hear the live music which was lovely. the pool side seem...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank catherine1031
Pittstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Went to the Beach Shack AGAIN. Stayed on the second floor this time.There's people to help with the luggage&so nice doing it. In fact by the time I came down for more Jose had most of the stuff in the room. Excellent service. I'm so glad because My Husband Has a Pacemaker& I had 3 teeth pulled the day before.So really needed this trip. When I checked in Jennifer said that if We didn't like or think We'd like to stay on the 1st floor it was available to Us. The Staff is wonderful Tamika helped Me with My Laptop because I couldn't get Wi-Fi. The Front desk go beyond Their job to make Your stay the best& relaxing trip.This time the weather was wonderful&the Beach was just calm enough to go in this time. My Husband&I walked to the end of Beach Ave. then on the Beach back. I don't suggest You eat at The Cove. Food wasn't good & the Menu is on the High side. Not worth it. Will right a review next. Plus a reveiw for the Rusty Nail on the property. Planning on going again in May & October.

Room Tip: The rooms are very nice. If You want a view of the ocean the 3rd floor is the best 2nd floor has a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Beach Shack & this visit was as good as last September's. Our room was spacious with lovely linens & cool beach decor. Check in was friendly & fast & we had no trouble getting a first floor room as we requested. Friday night we spent in their bar, the Rusty Nail, sitting with our toes in the sand while enjoying appetizers & drinks. We moved to a table for dinner; I had bow ties in vodka sauce with fresh veggies while hubby had a pulled pork sandwich. Everything was delicious & plentiful and service was wonderful. (Don't think it was just because it was off-season: the temp was 80 & the place was packed!) After dinner we moved to the firepit area for chocolate martinis & the lively acoustic guitar music provided. Service on the beach & at the pool Saturday was excellent & the beach was lovely. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! Go once & you'll be hooked!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Moviegal246
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Myself, husband, and daughter stayed at Beach Shack for a week in September. We stayed in one of the rooms with the semi-private deck overlooking The Rusty Nail. We originally had booked a single room but upon arrival decided that we needed a little extra space with the 3 of us and staying a whole week.

I was so wonderfully surprised by everything. The reception staff was wonderful at the time of check in. When we went to our room is was very spacious with a large "living room", kitchen sink, mini fridge, and microwave. We had 2 queen beds in our bedroom which was really nice also. On our balcony we have several lounge chairs and a fantastic view of the ocean and all the going ons at The Rust Nail. We absolutely loved all the live music and enjoyed on more than one occasion sitting outside and listening to everything. The location is amazing and feel that it is not a far walk from "downtown square". We also loved the pool and that it was just a walk down the stairs and plenty of towels always around for guests to use.

You cannot beat the beach service that they have with complimentary beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels. The beach attendant was absolutely fabulous and so friendly. Just to know that was out there whenever we were ready was the best part of the whole entire trip!!

The only things I have to say is that the tub was very outdated. Everything else in our bathroom was great except the shower. It drained SOO slowly and I was usually standing in a small pool of water by the time my shower was through. There was also very little water pressure and found the hot water going from hot to cold through most all of my showers. They do need to spend the money and go ahead and update the tubs. It seriously would make a world of difference!! The carpet was a bit stained, but it did not bother me at all. Everything was clean and the beds were super comfy.

The Rusty Nail was just OK. We ate there the first night and left there feeling satisfied. It is a great place for back up in case you need food in a hurry, but definitely didn't need to go there on multiple nights. The whole atmosphere of the place was fantastic though. We always walked through the place when we left and loved seeing all the people enjoying themselves.

I would DEFINITELY recommend staying here and we will most definitely be back to stay next year and hopefully in the same room. Besides the tub I absolutely loved everything about the room, place, and staff and have no other negative things to say. My husband and I are still talking about how awesome our stay was and how we will be back! I know that people say that staying at the Sandpiper (sister property) is better, but the atmosphere is unbeatable at Beach Shack and made the trip for us. A+++++!!!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend one of the rooms on the semi-private balcony! And if your lucky (like us) you are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley M
Drums, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed at the beach shack,after it was to have been renovated,I guess they missed the room I was in,the carpet was dirty,never walked in my bare feet, The view was great,but for the price of the room,not worth it. Would not recommend to a friend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple