Beach Shack
Jetty Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$74
Madison Avenue Beach Club Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$102
The Southern Mansion(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$192
Heritage Inn(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$142
Ocean Club Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$169
La Mer Beachfront Inn(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$127
Congress Hall(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$181
Carroll Villa Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$226
Travelocity
Montreal Beach Resort(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$155
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrusty nailfire pitbeach serviceacross the streetbunk bedslounge chairslocation is greatflights of stairsmini fridgepark the carfirst floorsmall kitchenetteheated poolcan't wait to go backrooms were very cleanrestaurants and shopswashington mall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Staff at the hotel and Rusty Nail were helpful and friendly. Room, views and pool exceeded expectations. Beach set up and staff are awesome. Food and music at Rusty Nail are surprisingly good. Love this place.

Reviewed 27 June 2010

Let me start out by saying, I like this hotel - A LOT.

First of all, it's ON THE BEACH IN CAPE MAY! (With a great view from the room, BTW...)

That said, I advise you read this review CAREFULLY to avoid any unpleasant surprises. If you read it & decide to stay, I don't think you'll be disappointed...

Family came down for a couple of days in between school & camp - 4 kids (16,14,12,5). To find a place with one room - big enough to accomodate all 6 of us - and not bankrupt us - ON THE BEACH IN CAPE MAY - puts this one in 3 star territory even if it were an old cardboard box.

Ok, that said, the rooms have been renovated, updated - but don't be fooled by the pictures you see on the internet. It's an older 3 story motel next to Congress Hall & the Sandpiper. If you are expecting it to be either of these, it isn't. If that's what you want, it's not for you.

The rooms were updated, modernized - those new fluffy pillows, sheets, throws - metal sinks in the bathrooms, kitchen area - HDTV. But NO PHONES (many people would see this as a plus - we did). And the harvest gold bathtub in the all white bathroom kinda gave away the real age of the place, don't you think?

People are right about the 1 wall A/C in the back - if you want the room super cool, forget it. But remember - YOU'RE ON THE BEACH IN CAPE MAY! We opened the front windows & enjoyed the soft breezes at night, as well as the music from the Rusty Nail & the sound of kids having fun playing shuffleboard (my 5 yr old daughter beat me several times & may be ready to start hustling people on cruise ships...) or frizbee or hanging around the fire pit.

The other thing - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - much like the tub - there is a hint of moldiness. My guess is the rugs need to be pulled up & that it's not inside the walls or anything, but who knows. Anyway, this would not matter to most people EXCEPT ME - I HAVE MOLD ALLERGIES. I really tried to tough this one out, but after 2 nights, I couldn't breathe. If you are at all susceptable to this sort of thing, I'd steer clear until they investigate, fix this. I would have told them this myself, but I was so stuffed up, my wife just picked up stakes & headed home early the last day (we were planning on doing Morey's Piers in Wildwood on our way home, we didn't have to leave a day early or anything - she just decided I needed to go home and not try to do anything that day...)

Again, let me just state - everything was cleaned within an inch of its life & room service was great. However, if you're VERY SENSITIVE - like me - this will not work.

As others have stated, the Rusty Nail is a GREAT location for drinks - open air across from the beach. Not sure about food, but we really wanted to eat well seeing as we were there only a short time, so we ate dinner at the Lobster House, breakfast at Bill's (right near by), and even ventured up the road to Rio Grande to a new sushi, hibachi place that was simply excellent.

As for the beach, THIS IS THE STAND OUT FOR THIS HOTEL. It's right across the street and if you show them your room key, they'll set you up - chaise lounges, umbrellas, towels, the works. AND there's waitress service - $10 for a kids meal (again, this shouldn't surprise you) - which allowed us to stay all day. And the water was super clean & clear - a school of dolphins was romping around so close to us, my 16 yr old remarked "Dad, Flipper was right next to me!" Amazing! And my 5 yr old found these really cool baby sea turtles that she kept digging up & would burrow back down into the sand.

The restaurants, mini golf, arcade & south end of mall were all walkable, so if you want to you can park the car & stay. And of course, the ubiquitous Philly water ice & hot dog cart, along with ice cream and sweets (to help you keep that beach body in shape...)

Overall, this place was great - with a few caveats. If any of the things I mentioned caused you to think twice, I advise you to do so & look somewhere else. Otherwise, it's not fair to the people who run this place, who are really doing quite a lot to put their best foot forward. If you've read this review carefully, there should be no surprises - and if you want to stay in a low key, comfortable place that's good for the kids (nice pool, shuffleboard, frizbees, sand pit, etc.) and good for the grown ups (Rusty Nail, waitress service, etc.) RIGHT ON THE BEACH, then you're in for a good time.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed one night at the Beach Shack between longer stays in nice cottages along the eastern seacoast. We weren't expecting much -- just a motel, after all -- and we were pleasantly surprised. A nice, big room, complete with WiFi, refrigerator, microwave, and the basic necessities for flatware, plates and dishes. We had a nice, informal dinner around the restaurant's firepit. Don't know if I'll ever be in Cape May again, but if I am, I'd definitely stay again at the Beach Shack.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We have never stayed at a hotel in Cape May before, but my husband and I considered this one a good find. The room was comfortable, clean and had everything we needed: Microwave, dishes, wine glasses, fridge in the mini kitchen. It had two queens and room for a cot or crib. The beds and pillows were very comfortable .We did not hear any noise from other rooms. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. We had a good ocean view from our balcony. My husband and I have stayed at nicer places at the beach in terms of decor and size, but what we liked best about this place was how relaxing it was. We did not have to lug chairs, towels or umbrellas to the beach across the street due to the free beach service provided. There was a great inside/ outside bar/restaurant(Rusty Nail) at the Beach Shack. They took orders on the beach and at the pool. It was great to walk a few feet in the morning to breakfast at the Rusty Nail. We ate outside looking at the ocean. The breakfast was very good. The BEST part was at night they had a fire pit next to the bar. It was great fun listening to live entertainment from 4:30 on to 9:30 every night. Different singers (excellent) the two nights we stayed. We loved coming home from walking around the shops( very Close) to the Shack, and grabbing a frosty mug of beer, putting our feet up on the fire pit, listening to the music and meeting/talking to people. So you may get a nicer room somewhere else, probably more expensive, but we would opt again for the fun and convenient atmosphere of the Beach Shack. People who worked there were very nice. It had all the necessary ingredients for a great stay at the Beach. Go and have fun!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We previously had a great stay at Congress Hall so we looked forward to staying at Beach Shack (sister hotel). Since this motel opened last summer (2009) after renovation, and charging Congres Hall prices ($298 a night), we were expecting a good experience. Sadly it wasn't worth it. Pros: great location across from the beach, Rusty Nail for afternoon/evening drinks, walking distance to everything. Cons: its a run-down motel (other than a coat of paint and new TV, straight from the 50's), AC barely kept the sitebedroom cool, living room no AC. But worse, there's no staff on-site to complain to when our drunk abnoxious neighbors sitting outside their room continuing their party at 2am screaming about who knows what -- there's no phones in the room or emergency contact numbers posted for such a situation. If it wasn't for the price, I'd expect all of this nonsense, so its very disappointing Beach Shack is a Cape May Resort but without the quality. Don't waste your money!

1  Thank poppy360