My husband surprised me with a weekend get away for my birthday! He booked The Mason Cottage. It was one of the few B&B's that we have never been to. We come to Cape May every fall or Christmastime. The inn was very cozy & nice but definately lacking "warmth" the innkeeper was "too herself" and although we were not mistreated by any means it was not a welcoming feel either. Which, honestly, is one of the reasons you stay at a B&B. (otherwise why not stay at a hotel like Congress Hall??) Anyway, we thought maybe it was just "us" but we had talked to other guests and they had a similar experience. The day we checked out we were waiting for the Halloween Parade to begin. It was at 3pm and we had an hour or so to kill so we went back to the Mason bc we had to pick up some leftovers (from all of our fabulous meals! The Washington Inn & Tisha's are winners!!!) We decided to have a cup of tea and read on the porch. ANY B&B that we have been to always encourages and welcomes you to hang around the next day before you leave. It was at this time that we both felt unwelcomed and when we said goodbye to Patti...all we got was "bye" ??? No "thank you for coming" or "come see us again" nothing, nada, zip. That was our last impression of The Mason Cottage and although when we first stepped thru the doorway we thought, this place has a lot of potential, it was very clean with nice rooms...we will not be back next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mason Cottage is a lovely country Victorian B&B located in the heart of historic Cape May. The inn is just one block from the beach and two blocks from many fine shops and restaurants. Built in 1871, the Mason Cottage is endowed with lofty ceilings, full-length windows and a sweeping veranda, all so characteristic of Victorian homes of the period. There are nine lovely antique appointed rooms/suites to choose from, each with a private bath. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Mason Cottage Bed And Breakfast Inn
- The Mason Cottage Hotel Cape May
- The Mason Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn Cape May, New Jersey