“Bad reservation policy - BE CAREFUL” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandpiper Beach Resort

Sandpiper Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Memphis, Tennessee
“Bad reservation policy - BE CAREFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

We needed to cancel a reservation 3 days in advance because of medical reasons. We called the hotel and they refused to refund or credit any of our money. The insisted that we were going to be charged in full for the entire stay. I would never book there again

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank dubon61

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
BeanTown USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We (2 adults, 3 kids) stayed a night at the Sandpiper Beach Resort on our way to Virginia. We stayed on the third floor in a two bedroom/two bath "suite" (which is the size of an apartment in the city) fully facing the ocean with a private balcony. The views were absolutely incredible, especially with the major thunder and rain storm we were getting that night. It's a fully functioning apartment with a full sized fridge and stove in the kitchen, a comfortable livingroom/dining room and washer/dryer in the unit. The master bedroom has an attached bathroom with an enormous two person shower stall. All the furnishings were tastefully done in neutral tones and the bedding and towels were plush and luxurious. The entire unit was spotless and tidy with two flat screen tvs to keep the kids occupied. We had an extremely enjoyable stay and will definitely come back to the Sandpiper again in the future.

Our one and only gripe was during check in. I'm not sure when their offices close but we arrived at 7PM only to find a note on their door telling us to go check in at another building. That was a little inconvenient but it did give us an opportunity to see some of the sites. This is a beautiful resort just steps away from the beach! It's definitely worth the extra money to get that much space and proximity to the beach.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank happyvacactioner
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

My husband and two young girls stayed at the Sandpiper this past week. We were so looking forward to our stay in Cape May. We had never been and decided to check it out in the off season. The Sandpiper was beautiful and the amenities were perfect for our small family. We stayed in a two bedroom, one bath apartment with ocean views on the third floor. We paid $178/night! It was an incredible deal - these rooms go for over $500/night in the summer.

The beds were super comfy, the towels were soft and the place was immaculately clean. The kitchen had a dishwasher and there was even a washer and dryer in the unit. We had a third floor ocean view. My best advice when booking at the Sandpiper is to pay the extra few dollars for the ocean view. It was so amazing and relaxing to sit out our balcony and listen to the waves. We drank our coffee out there in the morning and our wine and cheese out there after we put the girls to bed. Charley, the concierge, personally helped us when we were missing a screen on our screen door. The problem was solved within a matter of minutes after reporting it.

The location was incredible! We walked to The Washington Mall, which was only a few blocks. Across the street was the gorgeous beach.

We are already looking to book our next trip to The Sandpiper. We miss it already!

Room Tip: Book in the off season and ask for the ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

Our family had a great time at the Sandpiper. Excellent location. Stayed in a 2 BR 2 Bath that was very well laid out. Lots of space. Nicely decorated for a beach stay. Loved the beach chair service - it was so nice to just walk across the beach with a bucket of sand toys, some books and mags and suntan lotion. Everything else you need was provided by the friendly beach staff - lounge charis, beach chairs, small beach table and towels. The pool was a little small, but adequate. Housekeeping came twice a day - a thorough cleaning in the morning, which was always done before lunch, then an afternon sweep-up of sand and trash removal. One complaint - the heat exchanger ac system is very loud - took a while to get used to. Overall I would highly recommed to any family travelling to the Cape May area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

Just spent 3 nights there in a one bedroom, one bathroom apt. on the 3rd floor. First impression, beside the uninviting tunnel to get to the (so slow) elevator, we found the furniture of the living room cheap & ugly and the bathroom ridiculously small and unpractical- no counter, no shelf. Fully equipped kitchen but should you want to cook a full meal, you have to sit on stools at the counter which are just good enough for bfast or a quick lunch.
The entrance is in the bedroom. First night, we saw that the blinds could not block the light coming from the fixture next to the door which you cannot shut off. That was a major issue for our quality of sleep even if the bedding was very comfortable. We didn't use the air con but the heating system located in a closet in the bedroom. It is so noisy that we couldn't stay in the room while it was on. Housekeeping was excellent and free WiFi was a plus. But overall we found the place overpriced for what you have.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kiakami
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

We loved our stay. The rooms are updated with granite countertops in the kitchen area, stainless steel appliances, and a nice living room area with flat screen t.v. It is nice to have the bedroom separate so that my husband who gets up earlier than me, can go out in the living room to watch t.v. without waking me up. Bedroom is a bit small, but clean, comfortable and has a tiny flat screen t.v. Hotel provides beach service with chairs and umbrellas which was great! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed here with my husband and two children ages 8 and 4 the second week of September. Our rates were lower because it was off-season a bit. I'm not sure if I would have paid their regular rates for the room we had, but we still loved it and had a wonderful time. However, overall it is pretty pricey. We had a one bedroom and my kids slept on the pullout couch. We certainly were provided with everything really necessary. Not to bore with a long list, but I do want to mention some details for the benefit of others who will be staying there. You get a nice large stainless steel fridge with an icemaker, a dishwasher, a coffee pot, a microwave, a toaster, an oven/stove, and a washer and dryer in the closet (spacesavers). They provide small coffee packets, but if you are a coffee drinker, bring sugar or sweetener with you, you don't get much. Also, any other foodstuff (salt, pepper, etc) should be brought, as well as paper products (except toilet paper). They do give you dishwashing liquid (for dishwasher and sink) and a sponge. You get the basic pots, pans, bowls, spatula, can opener, etc. Utensils, glasses and dishes for four. No measuring cup (I use one for coffee). There are TVs in both rooms, and one DVD player. You also get an iron, ironing board, and hair dryer, and two terry robes. For everything else you are on your own. There is a small arcade room downstairs for the kids, too.

The room was very clean and nicely decorated, very new. We felt very comfortable and at home. Our balcony faced the ocean and had rocking chairs, such a simple but nice touch. The bathroom was spotless. The twice daily maid service was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. The dark hallways people are talking about? Ridiculous. So you have to walk down a dark hallway to get from the parking lot to the stairs/elevator. It's not like an underpass. It's just a hallway. Yes, it has a "motel" feel, and I guess some people have a problem with that because of the prices you are paying, but I really think that to even have mentioned it in the first place was silly. Ignore those comments, they truly have no bearing on the experience of staying there. Based on others' reviews, we stayed on the third floor, so we had no issues of the noise above us (in fact, we with our two kids probably WERE the noise above other! oops--actually I was surprised how well my kids behaved! I guess a sign of enjoying themselves and not being bored).

The pool is nice with a very small (5 foot square?) barred-off area for toddlers to swim in (but it was perfect for my water-fearing son!). They provide you with towels for everything, plus you get the amenity of Congress Hall of chairs, towels, and umbrella on the beach as well as lunch delivery. So don't even bother packing chairs or towels with you, leave them home. Not needed whatsoever. I will say our food-on-the-beach experience was not so great--overpriced, not so yummy, and it took a little over an hour to get to us. Won't do that again, but the concept is nice, and if you are not picky, so is the convenience.

Back to the room, the bed was uncomfortable for me, but my husband loved it!! Very firm, so it depends what you like. The bedding was luxurious, like big mountains of soft marshmallow clouds. I felt very spoiled laying in that bed!

My kids had a wonderful time. We brought our Wii with us and hooked it up to the TV. We were always leaving stuff in the room and felt very safe, had no concerns about the cleaning people--they seemed very professional. The gym is clean clean clean and has enough machines, you get your own parking space (in Cape May this is a big plus!!), and free wireless internet.

My favorite part of everything was just sitting on the porch in the morning drinking my coffee with my husband, watching and listening to the ocean. If I had any complaints at all, and this is stretching it, I'd say that it was the entrance door going straight into the bedroom. You somehow feel that the blinds don't completely give you privacy there (and there are blinds on the double window and door, so lots of window going into the bedroom from the front entrance). However, when walking by other's rooms, I noted I could never see into their rooms, so it eased my mind. Also, even though it is a lovely place and you get some amenities of Congress Hall, it isn't a super top shelf luxury hotel, so I do feel they are slightly overpriced. Thank goodness for the kitchen so we could save some money on going out for food.

Lastly, if you do go to Cape May, a couple of quick recommendations--avoid the Ugly Mug (awful food, really!), and do go to George's (right down the block from the Sandpiper)--don't listen to the poor reviews, only listen to the good ones, trust me! And also the Blue Pig at Congress Hall is amazing amazing amazing! Absolutely do go there. And don't miss Sunset Beach (at sunset, of course!). Enjoy!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family