“Wouldn't go back”

Sandpiper Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Just spent 3 nights there in a one bedroom, one bathroom apt. on the 3rd floor. First impression, beside the uninviting tunnel to get to the (so slow) elevator, we found the furniture of the living room cheap & ugly and the bathroom ridiculously small and unpractical- no counter, no shelf. Fully equipped kitchen but should you want to cook a full meal, you have to sit on stools at the counter which are just good enough for bfast or a quick lunch.
The entrance is in the bedroom. First night, we saw that the blinds could not block the light coming from the fixture next to the door which you cannot shut off. That was a major issue for our quality of sleep even if the bedding was very comfortable. We didn't use the air con but the heating system located in a closet in the bedroom. It is so noisy that we couldn't stay in the room while it was on. Housekeeping was excellent and free WiFi was a plus. But overall we found the place overpriced for what you have.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kiakami

Reviewed 16 October 2010

We loved our stay. The rooms are updated with granite countertops in the kitchen area, stainless steel appliances, and a nice living room area with flat screen t.v. It is nice to have the bedroom separate so that my husband who gets up earlier than me, can go out in the living room to watch t.v. without waking me up. Bedroom is a bit small, but clean, comfortable and has a tiny flat screen t.v. Hotel provides beach service with chairs and umbrellas which was great! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed here with my husband and two children ages 8 and 4 the second week of September. Our rates were lower because it was off-season a bit. I'm not sure if I would have paid their regular rates for the room we had, but we still loved it and had a wonderful time. However, overall it is pretty pricey. We had a one bedroom and my kids slept on the pullout couch. We certainly were provided with everything really necessary. Not to bore with a long list, but I do want to mention some details for the benefit of others who will be staying there. You get a nice large stainless steel fridge with an icemaker, a dishwasher, a coffee pot, a microwave, a toaster, an oven/stove, and a washer and dryer in the closet (spacesavers). They provide small coffee packets, but if you are a coffee drinker, bring sugar or sweetener with you, you don't get much. Also, any other foodstuff (salt, pepper, etc) should be brought, as well as paper products (except toilet paper). They do give you dishwashing liquid (for dishwasher and sink) and a sponge. You get the basic pots, pans, bowls, spatula, can opener, etc. Utensils, glasses and dishes for four. No measuring cup (I use one for coffee). There are TVs in both rooms, and one DVD player. You also get an iron, ironing board, and hair dryer, and two terry robes. For everything else you are on your own. There is a small arcade room downstairs for the kids, too.

The room was very clean and nicely decorated, very new. We felt very comfortable and at home. Our balcony faced the ocean and had rocking chairs, such a simple but nice touch. The bathroom was spotless. The twice daily maid service was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. The dark hallways people are talking about? Ridiculous. So you have to walk down a dark hallway to get from the parking lot to the stairs/elevator. It's not like an underpass. It's just a hallway. Yes, it has a "motel" feel, and I guess some people have a problem with that because of the prices you are paying, but I really think that to even have mentioned it in the first place was silly. Ignore those comments, they truly have no bearing on the experience of staying there. Based on others' reviews, we stayed on the third floor, so we had no issues of the noise above us (in fact, we with our two kids probably WERE the noise above other! oops--actually I was surprised how well my kids behaved! I guess a sign of enjoying themselves and not being bored).

The pool is nice with a very small (5 foot square?) barred-off area for toddlers to swim in (but it was perfect for my water-fearing son!). They provide you with towels for everything, plus you get the amenity of Congress Hall of chairs, towels, and umbrella on the beach as well as lunch delivery. So don't even bother packing chairs or towels with you, leave them home. Not needed whatsoever. I will say our food-on-the-beach experience was not so great--overpriced, not so yummy, and it took a little over an hour to get to us. Won't do that again, but the concept is nice, and if you are not picky, so is the convenience.

Back to the room, the bed was uncomfortable for me, but my husband loved it!! Very firm, so it depends what you like. The bedding was luxurious, like big mountains of soft marshmallow clouds. I felt very spoiled laying in that bed!

My kids had a wonderful time. We brought our Wii with us and hooked it up to the TV. We were always leaving stuff in the room and felt very safe, had no concerns about the cleaning people--they seemed very professional. The gym is clean clean clean and has enough machines, you get your own parking space (in Cape May this is a big plus!!), and free wireless internet.

My favorite part of everything was just sitting on the porch in the morning drinking my coffee with my husband, watching and listening to the ocean. If I had any complaints at all, and this is stretching it, I'd say that it was the entrance door going straight into the bedroom. You somehow feel that the blinds don't completely give you privacy there (and there are blinds on the double window and door, so lots of window going into the bedroom from the front entrance). However, when walking by other's rooms, I noted I could never see into their rooms, so it eased my mind. Also, even though it is a lovely place and you get some amenities of Congress Hall, it isn't a super top shelf luxury hotel, so I do feel they are slightly overpriced. Thank goodness for the kitchen so we could save some money on going out for food.

Lastly, if you do go to Cape May, a couple of quick recommendations--avoid the Ugly Mug (awful food, really!), and do go to George's (right down the block from the Sandpiper)--don't listen to the poor reviews, only listen to the good ones, trust me! And also the Blue Pig at Congress Hall is amazing amazing amazing! Absolutely do go there. And don't miss Sunset Beach (at sunset, of course!). Enjoy!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank peach66
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My wife and I have stayed numerous times at this property. It is expensive, but so are many of the other properties. The Sandpiper are actually privately owned Condos, that are managed by the folks from Congress Hall. They were renovated in 2006. Given the choice for example the Sandpiper is far better than say the Beach Shack, which is owned and also managed by Congress Hall.

There are basically one and two bedroom units, of various size and layout. Almost all rooms have views with a balcony, and a kitchen area. Some larger than others. The rooms are immaculate and the bedding is very good. There are flat panel TV's and many also have a small TV in the Bedroom. The cable has a decent number of stations and there is a DVD player.

I have some very minor gripes, but nothing that would keep me from coming back. For example I hate smooth top stoves, but others may like them and they are easy to clean. Besides you will probably eat out at one of the many BYOB's. Also they need to upgrade the bi-fold doors on the closets with better quality stuff, they are a bit low rent. Again minor nits.

As for amenities. There is a shallow pool, fitness room, lounge and game room, sauna, and elevators. Each unit has it's own assigned parking spot. Also you have access to the beach chairs and umbrellas from Congress Hall at no additional charge.

All in all it is a great property with an upscale feel and excellent management.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MuttonHead
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We spent six days/five nights at the Sandpiper in mid-June and were completely thrilled with our stay. The online booking allowed us to see a rate special and adjust our arrival dates to take advantage with a Friday-Wednesday stay (ideal for our schedules). The rooms are very clean and open with great views of the beach. We took the advice of other reviews on here and booked a third floor room. We had no issues with noise either from the hallway or from neighboring rooms. Also, while you hear the A/C kick-on it's not booming. The cathedral ceilings, open floor plan and well stocked kitchen made this a great home base for our beach vacation. We were able to stock up at the local Acme Market (Frank will tell you where to go, he's great!) and were also pleased with how affordable everything in Cape May is from coffee to dinner. The beach service from Congress Hall (included in your room rental) was fantastic. It was brilliant to walk across the street to the beach and have a friendly staff member place beach chairs, umbrella, towels and table wherever you like along the shoreline. Then food/drink service on the beach is very reasonable with sandwiches as low as $5 and it arrives quickly. The gym has all new equipment, including free weights, yoga at Congress Hall is easy to get to, and the ability to walk everywhere is fantastic. The twice daily maid service was very helpful with the sand we tracked in from the beach. We found the front desk helpful and the "long dark hallway" others have mentioned to be no big deal. It's a hallway to the elevator, it's easy and quick to use. Also the in suite washer/dryer made keeping our beach gear clean a snap. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Femfacti
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Just got back from Cape May last week. The Sandpiper is a great place to stay. Location was excellent (right across the street from the beach). The condo units were very clean, modern, and comfortable. Loved the beach view. The pool is small and has a limited amount of chairs. However, you can always use the facilities at the beach provided by Congress Hall at ZERO cost. Would definitely go back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed in a two-bedroom, two-bath suite with my extended family (which included a teenager and grandmother) and was very pleased with the suite and the location of the Sandpiper Beach. It was close enough to the heart of Cape May and across the street from the beach. The kitchen was well-equipped with pots, pans, utensils and plates, and the bathrooms were well stocked with towels and toiletries. The condo was modern and decorated nicely. There was a private porch or balcony with each unit which was a nice feature. The pool was not large but the water was warm,

Would recommend staying at this condo with an extended family..

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family