“Worth the price of admission”

Emlen Physick Estate
Ranked #8 of 59 things to do in Cape May
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: 1879 Emlen Physick Estate, Cape May's only Victorian house museum. Daily tours and special exhibits; trolley tours of the Historic District. Museum shop, gallery, and restaurant. Check website for guided and self-guided tour times.
New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worth the price of admission”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We decided to do the trolley and Physick Estate tour during a rainy visit to Cape May.
We were pleasantly surprised with the tour. The driver and the tour guide were very knowledgeable and friendly. The Physick Estate tour was entertaining and informative. The woman conducting the tour made it lively and she was well informed. The estate is well preserved, the woodwork and furniture are beautiful. The stories regarding the house inhabitants and future owners were very entertaining.

Definitely worth it.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank MariaBNewJersey

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Victorian Delight Galore!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

While it was raining and sleeting in Cape May, we bought a ticket at the Emlen Physick Estate to do both the Trolly Tour and the Physick Estate Tour. Tickets in hand, we drove to the Pedestrian Mall and hopped on an old fashion trolly bus, and had a guided tour of all the famous Victorian houses in Cape May. Even though the rain blurred my pictures, we learned a lot about different Victorian architecture, (and went back the next day to see our favorites again.)
The Trolly took us to the Emlen Physick Estate for an entertaining tour inside. The gal was as humorous as she was knowledgeable. I couldn't believe how they got back most of the origin furniture! Emlen Physick was very eccentric and had the deco, wall paper, moldings, fire places, furniture, vases, and all fantastically designed for him. I loved the kitchen and all the utensils and stoves! We was 15 beautifully restored rooms. Being a Victorian dancer myself, I really appreciated being able to step back into time in this luxurious Victorian home. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.
Then the trolley took us back to the mall. Still had time for Wine tasting!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Noraski
Jackson, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Repeat visitor”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I've been lucky enough to visit a few times over the years, and I never get tired of it. I only wish I could take photos, but I understand in the view of preservation that this isn't possible. It's such a lovely house and so well taken care of now. My tour guides have all be friendly, engaging, and knowledgeable. Anyone interested history/architecture would enjoy a visit here.

Visited August 2013

Kings Park, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Tour of the Estate.”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I love learning about history, love buildings like this. The furniture and architecture was magnificent. They also told stories about how the residents spent their time and the etiquette of the time period. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn something new.

Visited July 2013

Christiana, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Researching Victorian Cape May”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I love the way the house and estate are preserved. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and personable. I have been to the Estate several times. Loved the stories about Aunt Emilie. This house was part of my research about CM when I was writing one of my books. Gave me some valuable information.

Visited August 2013