“Culinary Wonder”

Pier House
Ranked #19 of 142 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: US$4 - US$39
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pittsburgh Avenue
Transit: In season trolley service every 15 min in front of restaurant.
Description: Restaurant Temporarily Closed For Renovations
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We go to The Pier House every year for our Anniversary. We stay at the La Mer Beachfront located on the same premises. We travel in from Long Island and adore the staff, owners, and cusine. The cocktail lounge is a gem too. As for the food, be prepared for some awesome dinners that are cooked to perfection. Some of the fish specials are worth the ticket. My husband bragged that he had his best meals served here, I agree. Also love the fact that having a few cocktails and walking to your room with a view is a treat.

1  Thank Yanksansky

Reviewed 22 February 2010

Real good to very good food 98% of the time. Great wine list, You can eat at the bar or at a table, Street parking, Patio seating weather permitting, The wait staff needs some tweeking, And they seem to love to bring your dinner to you while your still working on your appetizers. Just a little pricey for what it is. All in all I go 6 to 8 or so times a year

Reviewed 19 October 2009

We just recently returned from a two-night trip to Cape May for my birthday. We stayed at La Mer Motor Inn which is located directly behind Pier House. One of the perks of staying at La Mer is that they give you 15% off of breakfast at the restaurant. I'm glad we used it because it was definitely worth it. They also were giving 15% off dinner if you ate before 6 or 6:30. That's a little too early for us, so we didn't take them up on it.

They had a large breakfast menu with prices running about like any other breakfast place i.e. $5 - $10 per entree with most things running about $8. We both had scrambled eggs with toast and home fries. We shared a side of pancakes which the hubby wanted and a side of andouille sausage that I wanted. We definitely over ordered on the food especially given the fact that the portions are so large.

Breakfast is breakfast is breakfast, I guess, but this really was above average. The eggs were very light and fluffy. The toast wasn't just plain toast, but was a thicker slice that was really good. The home fries were good, but nothing special. The pancakes had a very good flavor and were very fluffy. The andouille sausage was delicious if you like andouille sausage. In the end, I'd recommend this place and hope to return to Cape May and try out their dinner. We ate there year's ago when it was Water's Edge and was one of the best meals I've ever eaten out. I'd like to see how the Pier House stacks up in comparison.

1  Thank cloudydrms
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I've been going to Cape May for over 20 years and found this to be one of the best restaurants in town, the only con is that its not a BYOB and the wine is a little pricey, the steak and salmon were cooked perfect and the service was among the best we've experienced while visiting Cape May over the years.

Reviewed 23 August 2009

We are out of town guests and were here on vacation. We've dined here several times in years gone by when this restaurant was known as the Water's Edge and have never been disappointed... until now.

When we were seated the a/c was cranking and most of our party put on outside jackets to beat the cold. Choosing wines we were undecided so asked if we could try a sample before committing but were advised that the bar tender doesn't allow this, commenting that it's not a wine tasting bar. Talk about causing an awkward atmosphere.

For appetizers we ordered the Lamb Lollichips which sounded great with their lavender glaze, but they were WAY too rare, barely even seared on the outside. I like rare meats but not to the degree that the meat is rubbery and raw. On our servers recommendation we ordered the 'Macho Tuna' and were again disappointed. Three piles were artfully presented on wonton crisps but with a minimal amount of tuna. There was nothing macho about this dish at all. We added the Roka & Beets Salad at the last minute and with crisp greens, pear, pistachios, and tasty manouri cheese, this was the saving grace for our first plates.

I ordered the Blackened Tuna for my entree but the spice was way too overpowering and although ordered rare, it arrived more medium - way too overcooked along with the soft rice - definitely not al dente. Apart from my initial tastes I hardly touched the dish. Sea Bass generally is a wonderful white and flaky fish but not here, causing the person that ordered it to think she'd been served swordfish instead. Cutting into the Crab Cakes revealed an unattractive, pasty white interior and the flavor was definitely fishy and finally, the Pork arrived dry - another failure.

These dishes weren't exactly cheap and needless to say, there was a ton of food left on our plates when our server came to clear our table. We aired our disappointment and asked for the check, not wanting to spend any more time or money on dessert. Our server said he was sorry we were disappointed but offered nothing else.

A great shame. We had some fantastic memories of this place but this will definitely be our last visit.