“No - Just No!”

and 1 more site!
Colton Court Motor Inn
Ranked #36 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I wish I would have read the reviews first - we stayed one nite and left - the room was musty and smelled extremely bad - carpet was completely filthy - sheets were dirty - after the first nite we packed it in and went to another motel - on a positive note they did refund us the two nites we did not stay there

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra M

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Owners appear to be listening, and the place seems to be getting better. New carpets and LCD TVs in the rooms are nice touches. A few rough edges, but a great value. Clearly the onsite manager - her personality and her cats - are fixtures here. If you're considering staying at the Congress Hall or here, you might prefer Congress Hall . If you're on a tight budget - this might just be the place...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank alasftraveler
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I love Cape May and have visited for approximately 35 years but this was 1st time for my fiance. I did not make reservations knowing I could find someplace for 3 days without difficulty since it was 'after season'. I was not prepared for the prices however, every place I stopped was over $100 per night and we were staying for 3. Finally Colton Court's sign of $79. caught my eye and front desk girl was friendly and all looked clean so I committed. She gave me #5 right across from the office, windows were open and a/c was going when we brought in luggage..there was a smell however, that I wasn't sure if it was pinesol or some other cleaning product? Very dated, 1950's perhaps, but clean, 2 queen beds, newer carpet and flat screen tv, older furniture and small refrigerator. NO COFFEE MAKER...didn't realize this until morning! There were gnats all over the sink area and in tub, toilet room. The refrigerator was extremely noisy during the night and the smell continued....windows open, windows closed still there and annoying when entering. I went back to the office and spoke with owner who said it was the new combination a/c heater that was installed and the heater was burning off the new smell. Huh? My finance proceeded to get pretty sick and I took him to the ER in Cape May Courthouse the next evening....he was wheezing and having difficulty breathing. I now think it was an allergenic reaction to the mold in that room. We shall not visit them again.

Room Tip: If #5 did not have the strong smell attached to it, gnats were gone, coffee maker installed than it...
4  Thank Georgialois
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We left another motel and spent the last night here. Wish we had been here from the beginning and will definately stay here the whole time next trip. Right across from the ocean. We got a second floor 2 room suite facing the ocean. Very well equipped kitchenette, king size bed (a little hard, but OK). Comfortable couch which is a pullout bed (did not use). Bathroom is dated with pink tub and sink and toilet, but clean. Love the breeze off the ocean and the view. Can't beat it for the price, while not luxurious, it is fine.

Room Tip: Second floor facing the ocean is great.
1  Thank veraandwalt
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This year my friend and I decided to give Colton Court Motor Inn another shot. It hasn't got much more run down than the 2011 trip and we did find one improvement. The draperies at the windows were MUCH improved. Last year, tap top curtains over a rod that would fall down when we opened or closed them...This year, nicely working actual pleated top sheers and opaque drapes graced the windows. They opened and closed smoothly, allowed you to open all the way for full light to come on and unobstructed views out, or just the sheers or both closed to give total privacy inside.
The couch, as to be expected, was worn a bit as far as its firmness but still in very good shape and over-all I really like the couch in the living area. And even though it was October, the pool was open...several hotels had their pools closed already.
Also, found the a/c unit blows heat--we needed it as it was quite damp the first day there and chilly in the evenings.

Room Tip: Most upstairs rooms have ocean view. End unit that runs parallel to side streets has two windows on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pat H
Reviewed 8 October 2012

First of all Im not sure what all of these bad reviews are about. I read them and I was really paranoid on the way there that the place was going to be a real dump, with all of the negative reviews it received. Unfortunety I could not find anything else for the weekend. We arrived on Friday night and the manager Edie waited for us because we were running late. She is a very very sweet woman with a heart of gold. Our room was very nice for an older shore motel. It was also extremely clean and well maintained. (THIS IS A MOTEL PEOPLE!!!!!!< A SHORE MOTEL NOT THE RITZ) if you want fancy go spend 300+ a night down the street or at a bed and breakfast. The shower was clean and hot, The TV worked great, The staff was excellent especially the Manager Edie. She realizes that the place is dated and assured us that they are working on upgrading all the rooms by next summer. It was also right on the beach for easy access. I have nothing but nice things to say about the place. Again it is not the fanciest place in Cape May but its just fine for a weekend, or a week. If you are looking for a nice clean place to shower and sleep right on the beach, that was very reasonably priced then give the Colton a chance.

Room Tip: Try and get the second floor, it has a better view and ask for an updated room.
3  Thank Jacen B
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Edie has her managership rules. I think she is from NY, so.......... She was; liberal, considerate and the BOSS! We had no problems staying within a normal familys guide lines. Her staff was EXCELLANT; respectfull, VERY courteous when requests were made, one of the BEST staffs I have encountered ! ! The rooms are DATED, maintained and CLEAN! The linen was excellant. We have a dog. He was excepted! He's a dog, no problems with his behavior. ((take bags and you be respectfull)). All in all I recommend Colton Court Motor Inn in Cape May NJ. We visted Cape May in early Sept 2012.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family