“Not a bad stay!”

Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New York City, New York
“Not a bad stay!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

After reading all the reviews I was VERY weary about staying at this hotel/motel. I just hitting up Cape May for the night so figured I would deal with it.

When I called they told me that there was a 2 night minimal like most hotels ( starting to see that trend now) but on there website I was allowed to book one night and got my confirmation.

The hotel is located in a perfect location. Right on Beach Ave across the beach, the hotel/motel had plenty of parking and it was well taken care of on the outside. The pool area was clean, nice size pool and plenty chairs ( its off season :)

Booking was very precis that it only started at 2pm, but at 1:37 the young lady at the office came and found me at teh pool and gave me my key. I did find it odd that there we no bathrooms in the courtyard, but there really wasn't a lobby just a small office.

My room was a large size- two beds ( hard but its a motel) a new tv, fridge and microwave. The rooms are VERY outdated but for 100 on the beach I really wouldn't complain. The only issue was my room had a smell- like wet/old smell. Wasn't sure what it was but like I said I stayed a night.

I would stay there again for a night or two again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the 'breezeway" on the first floor, all the difference was two room away froma...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pastytravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was what we expected for the price. Clean but a bit outdated. But an excellent location and could not beat the price. Unfortunately, this year they are a refusing to honor a one night reservation even though their booking system accepted it and they have removed all references to a 2 night minimum from their website. Had this problem with another Cape May hotel that accepted a 2 night stay and then tried to force us to book 3 nights. Seems like a scam in the area. Got a nasty email that I would have to book Friday night too or couldn't come. Must be from the crazy owner referenced in other posts.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah C

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We've been going to the Colton for a few years now. It is a great location, beachfront, and the best view in all of New Jersey, the cove. Edie, and her staff are always accommodating and very pleasant. The owners have been doing a great job renovating the hotel, and swimming pool. We love it there, feel very much at home, and it's a great place to relax, sit on the beach, and watch the dolphins. You can park your car and walk everywhere.

Sue and Chas

Room Tip: If you're looking for a reasonable place to stay, in an excellent location, then this is the pla...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chas S
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Musty, old bedspreads, no attention to detail and the prices are sky high. When I made the reservation they said there would be absolutely no refunds and now I know why...if we could have we would have moved to another place.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2013

OH, wow, where to start. We were not given the room that was promised. The lady in charge blamed the computer booking program as if it was not her responsibility. Refused to offer discount, even though the room could not fit the planned number in our party. Got vicious and vile immediately and would not listen to any reason.
So, if all of this were not enough, the rooms were outdated and musty.
Do not go here!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelore2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Never coming back here. While the location is perfect and close to the beach, this inn was horrendous. Rooms were extremely old and outdated. TV was actually brand new but was mounted in a terrible spot. The TV was facing the bathroom and imposdible to see if you were in bed. They claim to have free wifi but the signal isnt strong enough to reach the rooms. I had to walk outside and go down to the pool just to get a signal. Also like I said before the owner is a crazy. She tried to water her plants with the hose but instead watered the guests' towels and clothes which were they drying on their balconies. She even intential sprayed the hose at a guest. When the guest complained she said, "I'm just trying to water my plants." As a frequent Cape May vacationer, I know for a fact there are better places. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank guy j
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed from July 20th till the 23rd. It is a good hotel if you are looking for a value. Great location. Room was clean. Only complaint is that the one of the two beds sagged in the middle. We had a breezeway room and the air conditioner was great. Would stay again

• Stayed July 2013