“Great waiter, unique and delightful meals - Cash/Personal Check ONLY”
Review of Island Grill

Island Grill
Ranked #51 of 137 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: American Coastal Cuisine inspired by the land and the sea, featuring locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients. Thank you for another fabulous season. See you in May 2017!
New Jersey
“Great waiter, unique and delightful meals - Cash/Personal Check ONLY”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were a group of 6, seated on the front porch, and had our own private room since it wasn't super busy that night. Our waiter (I forget his name) was hysterical and made the night so much fun. A few of us had the Caesar Salad and it was fine. One of us had the Crab & Beet salad and were a bit disappointed because it was a small serving of crab tossed with lemon aioli, sliced roasted beets, pickled celery and arugula (which actually looked like a few blades of grass). She was expecting a salad, not a display of items on a plate. It was not described to us before ordering.

I and another had the Pan Seared Scallops in a bouillabaisse broth, braised leeks, roasted salsify (a root vegetable) and crispy prosciutto. I was hesitant with the description but the chef is very talented when it comes to incorporating ingredients into new tastes/flavors. One of our party had the Grilled Filet Mignon, charred scallion, harissa butter, roasted carrots and petite potatoes. She enjoyed her meal. Two others had the Grilled Pork Chop - hickory smoked tomato, great northern bean ragout, and onion soubise. They both enjoyed their meals. Another had the Fried Calamari, crispy brisket, lemon aioli (didn't want the sweet & spicy peppers). She said it was some of the best calamari she's ever had.

The descriptions of the entrees are not what I'm used to, even after watching a lot of the Food Network, but this chef is truly a genius when it comes to combining ingredients to expand your palate.

• Visited October 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Never Again!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My family of 4 went to the Island Grille for a special occation. Money wasnt going to be a issue so we therefore tried 2 appetizers and each ordered a entree. The coconut shrimp was burned..the salad was mediocre at best..How you can screw up a salad is beyond me. Our waitress asked how our dinner was at the end of our meal and I expressed the shrimp was overcooked. The owner came over and asked me about our meal and me specifically regarding the shrimp..After I told her it was over done you would have thought I insulted her first born. Her ego is thru the roof. If you ask someone how their meal is...expect some good compliments and some bad. I felt it was for her best interest. We got our bill..paid it. Didnt get any change back and left a below average tip.Too many other good restaurants that don't cost a arm and leg without the attitude.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank 101jenjen
Eastern U.S.
“Excellent, but remember, they only take cash”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The food, the staff, the setting = all excellent!!! Don't pay attention to the information in the various restaurant guides that are all over Cape May. Their information about this restaurant is incorrect. Use Trip Advisor or Yelp for more accurate information and reviews.

Visited October 2013
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
“Decent meal, good service, nice decor...”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Ate here with a group of 7 last weekend and it was very good. Haven't eaten here in years. It's a BYOB, we had good service, great salads, my coconut shrimp was burned, entrees were good. A good place to eat once in a while in Cape May...

• Visited September 2013
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“What the heck happened?”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Last summer I wrote a review saying this was my very favorite restaurant in Cape May. It truly was. I ate here a bunch of times in the past few years. This year..I'm not sure what happened, but WOW! It sucked! First let me say, the people working there are lovely! So Nice! The food was terrible. I went back twice because I couldn't believe a change that drastic could happen. But yes, it was worse each time I went. Over inflated prices, paired with boring food on a very limited menu. I was so disappointed!. For three people.2 adults and a child...(.3 apps and 2 entrees and a salad...$230.) NO alcohol is served here. We brought our own wine. I wouldn't mind if the food was still amazing, but the lobster Mac tasted so fishy I couldn't eat it. The fish was really gross. We came back and tried again with friends that wanted to go...Everyone was shocked at how everything was so different from last summer... What a bummer !

• Visited August 2013