“Pretty view -- small menu”
Review of M’ocean - CLOSED

M’ocean
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our ocean-inspired restaurant and raw bar, located in Cape May, New Jersey, strikes a perfect balance of fresh coastal cuisine and fine dining. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and featuring simplistic menu options that reflect the simplicity of fresh ingredients and a cool ocean breeze, M'ocean delivers an evolving dining experience that stimulates all of your senses.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I would rate this place as "good" if that were an option, but "very good" might be an overstatement. Perhaps I have fine dining fatigue after a week in Cape May, but the menu here seemed overly complicated and I had trouble choosing dishes, as did my husband. I am no stranger to complex cuisine and appreciate creativity, but with this small of a menu, we didn't find anything that appealing. I settled on the asparagus salad, which came with panko-breaded, fried Meyer lemon slices, which should have been more thinly cut to make the rind more palatable. My roasted salmon was well-cooked, but there wasn't enough of the lemon beurre blanc. The Israeli couscous and charred corn accompaniments were delicious. My husband's prosciutto-melon salad was good, but he didn't like the mushroom pasta that came with his sea bass. He did enjoy the bass itself though, which was cooked perfectly. So it was a bit hit and miss, which, given the many other choices in Cape May, earns this place only an average rating. I am still baffled as to why the maître d would not let us sit at one of 3 empty tables on the balcony when we asked and sat us in an otherwise empty adjoining room. He said the tables were reserved but 2 of them were still available when we left and even 1/2 hour later when we passed by and looked up. It left us with a weird vibe.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had dinner here on July 22nd. Service was very amateurish... they brought this nasty amuse bouche the minute we sat down - no drinks yet and we still had menus. The selection is rather limited, but we each (4 of us) had something different and no one enjoyed their meals. We had a tuna dish (requested rare, came well done), the lobster pasta (not much lobster, gunky sauce), sea bass (very oily and fishy tasting) and the pork (probably the only edible dish). We did have oysters to start, and a couple of salads, and they were ok, but not great. The overall experience was nothing special and the check was about $300 (4 cocktails and a reasonable bottle of wine). We have been going to Cape May for many years, and there are so many good restaurants with great service to choose from. From the reviews, some people have enjoyed M'Ocean. We, however, will not be returning...

1  Thank emptynester57
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My friend and I had a table for two on the balcony overlooking Cape May beach...fabulous!
The food at the restaurant was Very Good ( a little pricey, but very good)! The waitress was very accommodating to our requests and needs and the rest of the staff was very friendly. Would definitely go back next time we're in Cape May!

2  Thank Heidi_NJ
Reviewed 12 August 2014

first and foremost the staff and management were killer and provided pristine accommodations. The oysters are the peak of freshness, the cocktails are unique and thoughtfully crafted and the food is good. powerful flavors surrounded the plates and each artfully
composed. the Berkshire
pork chop is absurd! again thank you to the management and our "traveled" server you provided ideal, humorous and perfectly paced service!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

First time visiting. Service was very attentive. Upstairs from the worn and dated Cabanas so don't let that fool you. We had oysters and clams to start. We had two orders of salmon at the table with a light Buerre blanc sauce, a corn salad which was great and a cous cous. One guest had Tuna that had a celantro rub on top. The tuna was over cooked and the flavors very strong on this dish. Came with Polenta, a little odd as a summer starch but it was good. Other entree was scallops seasoned with a kick of habaneros and mango. We don't usually taste each others dishes but this time we did and it was worth it. I would go back but a little pricey. It's BYOB which is nice. Give it a try. Tisha was our waitress and she was very nice.

1  Thank Mbf611