“The perfect getaway!”
Review of Angel of the Sea

Angel of the Sea
Ranked #5 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We received a groupon for a getaway before our third child was born. We were hesitant about going in January because it is so cold, however once we got to the Angel of the Sea we did not want to leave. The house is rich in history and charm and is maintained VERY well. We stayed in the Deluxe suite which was adorned with a vintage Victorian decor. I am not one to relax or enjoy a hotel stay in fear of lack of cleanliness and odors bother me. The Angel of the Sea was clean and odorless. The food was amazing, wine and cheese at 4 which we missed due to being out and about was brought back out for us at 6. The breakfast was outstanding and extensive, and the staff made you feel welcome and at home. A must visit even if only for a short time. We will absolutely return to Angel of the Sea.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 27 January 2014

When thinking about a romantic weekend, The Angel is the first place that pops to mind. I have been here numerous times. Each time the staff go out of their way to make it just as special as my last. My girlfriend has always loved the charm of the Angel. Most young couples, like us, don't give B&B's a chance. We are certainly glad we did! It has been that getway we need, each time we've gone. I highly recommend this place for any couple. Room 8 is our favorite!

Room Tip: Room 8 is really nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I'm not a big fan of B&B's but my wife's family were getting together and this is where they wanted to stay.

We arrived on a cold, snowy afternoon. Some of the family were already in the lobby/ sitting area. Some were wondering out loud why there wasn't any warm beverage available. The staff chose to ignore their murmurs even though I've read in other reviews that coffee and tea are available all day. My wife even inquired if there was a Starbucks nearby. She was told, no Starbucks but there is a WaWa. No offer to provide coffee or tea.

Anyway, my wife had opted for a room with an ocean view, at a premium price of course. I thought it was a tad expensive for a Sunday night in December but you choose your battles carefully. The ironic part is that with the snow, mist and low hanging clouds you couldn't tell there was an ocean.

I'm not really into wicker, but the room was OK, large enough to not feel cramped. The bath was a decent size with a claw- foot tub surrounded by an ugly plastic shower curtain. The bottom of the tub could stand to be refinished, looked pretty nasty. If you're not athletic you may want a room with a shower stall as it was a little difficult to climb in and out of.

The porch had a small table and chairs. We didn't use it due to the weather but the cigarette butts in the bucket of sand would have been off-putting had we wanted to.

We found the bed to be very comfortable, slept well. No complaints there.

Breakfast was very good. Nice selection of fruit, cereal, pastry plus a choice from two hot items.

We didn't think about it until we were on our way home but we never received the bottle of champagne we were supposed to get at check-in. I guess if you don't ask you don't get.

I'm not one to get too upset over a cup of coffee or a bottle of cheap champagne but on the whole we found the hospitality to be lacking. I doubt we will return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ABFine
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My family and I visit the Angel every year during the weekend of Thanksgiving. Lia, Chet, Shannon, Mark and Chris always make us feel at home. The staff is amazing!! We feel as if we are staying with family. The breakfast, desserts and let's not forget the magnificent wine & cheese are all part of the fabulous experience you will receive at the Angel. We can't ask for anything more and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else!!

Rich, Totowa, New Jersey

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Ricorj
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our first b&b we really loved it. We only stayed one night and I can not compare this to anywhere else but I really loved all the amenities we got that hotels usually don't provide. Our room was 23 very clean and smelled great the bed was comfortable and turned down for us when we came back from dinner. They provide afternoon tea& sweets which I missed and we brought our own cheese & wine not realizing they offered that at 5:30 as well. Our bathroom was clean the water was plenty hot & the towels were big and plenty full. The breakfast was nice and I was very delighted to meet such wonderful people. Recommend this place I will return.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had been told about "Angel" being such a lovely place to stay; and we certainly were not disappointed. We ended up being the only people there one evening, but enjoyed looking at all the jewelry cases with items for sale as well more modern amenities, such as: the internet access and flat screen TV. There is always ice water available in the dining room as well as tea in the evening. We were there at an in between time in Nov. They were decorating the following day for xmas. There is an interesting view from every room. Would love to come in warmer weather to sit outside on the porch. The attention to detail is amazing as well as the breakfast (even for one couple) as well as the afternoon coffee or tea and wine and cheese. Staff is lovely. I was lucky enough to have the owners husband show me all the rooms. One more beautiful than the next. You will certainly enjoy your stay. Plenty of parking and far enough away from the hubbub. Kathy M

Room Tip: Lots of stairs, so if you have knee problems, opt for downstairs. There are two buildings, but the c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Angel of the Sea is a beautifully decorated BandB from the common areas to your private room. Plenty of porch space for relaxing outside, weather permitting, with views of the ocean. No other BandB serves as much delicious food, from breakfast in the am to tea and sweets @4pm and wine and cheese at 5:30pm. We'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2013