“Slipping a bit.”
Review of Angel of the Sea

Angel of the Sea
Ranked #5 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My recent stay at the Angel was not as good as previous visits. Upon checking into our room, there was a burnt out light bulb laying in the middle of our bed, it was promptly removed by the gentleman who escorted us to our room, so not that big of a deal. Our room was very, very dusty and the rugs were not vacuumed. Also, wet, used towels that we left on the bathroom floor to be removed were not taken away after the room was serviced. The breakfast portion on our first morning was teeny tiny, neither of us are huge eaters and we were still starving. When I requested a second breakfast for the two of us to split, it was a big hassle. The attendant stated that we would have to wait until the end of breakfast to see if there was another portion left. I understand that they need to have enough for all of the guests, but I find it difficult to believe that there would not be one extra portion available. We were getting ready to go to Wawa to purchase breakfast sandwiches when the attendant kindly gave us another plate to split. They do have other offerings on the buffet, but we don't visit the Angel to fill up on cereal, yogurt, etc. This experience & hassle was very disappointing to us. We normally love our visits to the Angel & this trip has me worried that they are slipping a little in the customer service & cleaning departments.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank peachgirl_10
Ron S, Owner at Angel of the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2015

Dear Peach Girl,

8/23/2015: Please give us another try! We recently purchased the Inn on May 19th 2015. Over these first 90+ days of ownership, I'm fairly confident that we have addressed all of the concerns you've raised. I can tell from your review that you have stayed here several times over the years and perhaps the Angel holds a special place. It would mean so much to us if you would come back and let us show you what we've done.

Feel free to call the front desk. I will return your call if you give me the opportunity. I would love to chat over breakfast out on the oceanfront porch with Peach Girl.

Thanks,

Ron, Theresa and the staff.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Angel of the Sea is a Victorian B&B right on the ocean in Cape May. The Inn itself is loaded with history and period decor - a bit overdone. The staff was very nice as was our room. Breakfast and afternoon tea was terrific. The wine and cheese was okay. The wines were mediocre. If I return to Cape May, I will try a different B&B.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We spent the weekend of March 28th at this lovely inn.
The weather was lousy all 3 days but the Angel of the Sea offered a nicely appointed room, delicious breakfast and very friendly staff. The inn is very close to the beach but it is about 20 mins walk to the center of town. Nice walk and not a problem for us at all but just thought I mention it.
Jamie was spot on in steering us towards the Rio Grande diner for fabulous crab cakes.

All in all, a nice experience just not memorable.

Room Tip: Room 19 has it's own entrance and private balcony. Perfect combination if the weather cooperates...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariaBNewJersey
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I went to Cape May this past weekend to participate in a Sherlock Holmes weekend. If we were going to stay in Cape May for this event, the package gave us a price to stay at this inn. We did not look further into pricing other hotels, so we decided why not stay here and see what this inn is all about.
This hotel/inn looks lovely on the outside, but the inside was just OK. The main area/check-in desk is cluttered with angels which I get, but a little too busy for me. Our room which was on the first floor was across the porch from the main building. It was just OK.
Tea time was just OK--Wine/cheese, OK, and breakfast was a little disappointing. The portion size they served was OK for women, but for a big man, the portion was small.
The value for what we spent was at best average.

Room Tip: I have no advice in choosing a room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our first time at a B&B and we were very impressed. The staff was very friendly and the place was really cozy. The breakfast served was delicious both mornings. We would definitely return. The only downside was the shared entrance to our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private entrance.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darlene C
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We received a groupon for a getaway before our third child was born. We were hesitant about going in January because it is so cold, however once we got to the Angel of the Sea we did not want to leave. The house is rich in history and charm and is maintained VERY well. We stayed in the Deluxe suite which was adorned with a vintage Victorian decor. I am not one to relax or enjoy a hotel stay in fear of lack of cleanliness and odors bother me. The Angel of the Sea was clean and odorless. The food was amazing, wine and cheese at 4 which we missed due to being out and about was brought back out for us at 6. The breakfast was outstanding and extensive, and the staff made you feel welcome and at home. A must visit even if only for a short time. We will absolutely return to Angel of the Sea.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 27 January 2014

When thinking about a romantic weekend, The Angel is the first place that pops to mind. I have been here numerous times. Each time the staff go out of their way to make it just as special as my last. My girlfriend has always loved the charm of the Angel. Most young couples, like us, don't give B&B's a chance. We are certainly glad we did! It has been that getway we need, each time we've gone. I highly recommend this place for any couple. Room 8 is our favorite!

Room Tip: Room 8 is really nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business