“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #12 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Another GREAT stay at the Bedford Inn with Archie . We love staying here ... short walk to the beach, always a great breakfast, afternoon beverages and cookies, very clean rooms and a very friendly innkeeper.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My bf and I were visiting cape may for first time for 3 days for 4th of july. It's very quiet, beautiful, small town. Bedford Inn and Archie were very welcoming. Everything was great from start to finish. Breakfast was amazing, don't miss it! We stayed in Josephines room, its next to front porch on 2nd floor and we had the keys to the porch for early mornings and late evenings. You can enjoy your early morning coffee there, its very quiet and can hear and smell ocean from there:) Archie was very hospitable and even offered us to drive us to bus station when we were leaving. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank natia11
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was my first visit to the Bedford Inn. Before booking our reservation, I read reviews from multiple B&B's on tripadvisor.com. The Bedford Inn offers guests a wonderful tourist experience at an affordable price. The room was clean and well maintained. White fluffy towels were replenished in our bathroom daily. Breakfast was delicious, offered a good variety, and plentiful. Little things like a common refrigerator and ice box were also convenient. Best of all the inn is only one block from the beach. Archie has outdoor showers, beach chairs, and beach towels for guests to borrow when they visit the beach. The Innkeeper was professional, friendly, and attentive. The Bedford Inn is a keeper for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suejonessmith12
NJ
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Great stay at the Bedford!
We loved our room, the food and of course the Corgis! :)
The front porch is great, too bad it stares at the back of a big motel.
But being one block from the beach was great and supplying parking and beach chairs was another plus!

• Stayed July 2013
PA
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We want to take the opportunity to thank Archie for his excellent hospitality for the second year in a row. We have stayed in two other Cape May B&Bs in the past and The Bedford Inn is by far our preferred place to stay. It is convenient to the beach and shopping areas. We love being able to use the B&B beach chairs/towels and enjoy our morning walks in the beautiful surrounding neighborhood. The second floor balcony is our favorite place to relax and enjoy the afternoon breeze. We hope to return for a mini getaway in the fall.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

When we first arrived we had to sit in the reception room with our luggage while Archie was on the phone, that seemed to last quite a while at least 5 minutes, then we were given a tour and given the "house rules" put our finished breakfast plates on the side etc, and instructions on how to open the front door, including a test for one of our party to make sure we could get in again (would probably be easier to replace a tricky lock) and shown how to operate the coffee machine on the first floor. We eventually got to our rooms which were a bit fussy and over furnished for our taste but all part of the Cape May experience. Our rooms were at the front and we were given a key to the balcony which is obviously used by smokers as there were ash trays on the tables, which would make it a bit difficult to open windows if you were a non smoker, we were instructed not to lock the door before a certain time which we would loved to have done, instead of having to listen to someone sitting outside our single glazed window droning on and on, on his mobile phone for nearly an hour and half. It seemed that we were obviously late down for breakfast as there didn't seem to be an awful lot left, and we were one muffin short as someone who had breakfasted before us had taken two !

Room Tip: Probably avoid rooms at the front with the balcony if you don't want to be forced listen to othe...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ray C
BedfordInn, Owner at Bedford Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
I am sorry these guest had to wait 5 minutes for me to finish taking a reservation. I was the only one here when they came to check in. So rather than have them wait outside, I welcomed them in, asked if they would like to use the rest room (which is a great relief when someone has been on the road for a while) apologized for being on the phone and offered them the opportunity to wait in the parlor until I was finished with the call. Since I was already on the phone with another guest taking a reservation I felt I owed them the courtesy of finishing with them before I started something else. I'm sorry that they felt like the orientation was rules but I like to explain some things that are helpful for our guest to have a more pleasant stay. The door lock on the front door, which is very common on the B&B's in Cape May, can be somewhat tricky but convenient for getting in and out of the inn. As simple as it is to use the fire department likes us to review with each guests how to operate it in case of fire. The coffee machine is on the second floor for the benefit of our guests. Most of my guests like to know how to use it. I have had guests that tell me they won't use it in which case we bypass any instructions on it's use. There were 4 guests in this party and they reserved both rooms which are on the second floor up against the balcony that most of our guests love to enjoy. My assumption was that they wanted those rooms since there were many other rooms available when they booked online that would not have any potential porch issues. Both of these rooms each have three windows of which two face the porch. Since those two rooms are up against the porch I lock the doors to the porches usually around 10:30 pm for the privacy of the guests staying in those two rooms. We give them the key to the porch so that if they want to use it during the times it is closed to the other guests, they would be able to use it as a semi-private porch which most guests see as a benefit. I find that most people are considerate of others and I have very rarely if ever witnessed someone being disruptive of other guests. If I am made aware of this we would surely address the situation in a professional, courtesy manner for the benefit of all our guests. As for the ashtrays, well unfortunately they were unknowingly put there by guests that were here prior to the arrival of this party. As a part of our orientation we let smokers know that smoking is not allowed in the inn and that the smoking area is set up outside on the east side of our inn. We provide a bench and a smoking receptacle which is also a part of our orientation. Unfortunately, one of our previous guests must have put ash trays on the second floor porch instead of using the designated smoking area on the side of the inn. (Another reason for our orientation) As for the breakfast, we usually do a full breakfast served buffet style. For freshness we do not put all the food out at one time. As it is used we replenish the serving trays. Sometimes we get a rush of people and the food goes quickly in which case we have to replenish the food. It is possible that someone coming down after this rush might not see a fully stocked serving tray. In this case most people would usually ask for more and we obviously restock the food as quickly as humanly possible. I do not recall anyone requesting more from me that day. Had they said something I surely would have either put more food out from our kitchen or would have offered an alternative if I was out of something. Both of these guests were here only one night in which they came late in the day and really did not have enough time in my opinion to get a true feel of the our inn and Cape May. If they were to choose to come back I would love to make up to them any inconveniences or misunderstandings for a much more relaxing and comfortable stay.
Danville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent the weekend over June 15th at the Bedford Inn. This was our second time staying there. Archie was yet again a wonderful and accommodating host. Delicious breakfast, and the best restaurant recommendation. We will definitely be staying here when we come back in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple