“A trip back in time”
Review of The Chalfonte

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
The Chalfonte
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New Jersey
“A trip back in time”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

A visit here really is like a trip back in time, so if that's not your cup of tea then look elsewhere. But if it is, a visit to the Chalfonte is a lot of fun. Keep in mind the hotel is old...really old, and you've just got to roll with it. The rooms vary wildly, but the room I had was charming, quiet, and super-clean. The bathroom was new, and so was the bed, but the furnishings were antique.

The website is very clear--the rooms do not have televisions. The AC is central AC, so you can't control it. There is wifi and mine worked great. The staff was friendly and helpful, but one thing I will say is you have to ask questions. For example, I didn't know there was an ice machine until I saw a guest with a bucket of ice.

But I LOVED the unique atmosphere, the front porch and rocking chairs, the silence w/o TV and the urge to get on the computer. It's 2 short blocks to the beach. I sat on the 2nd story balcony and watched fireworks for the 4th of July. I read a lot of books. I found the staff helpful and as a solo traveller really kind and friendly. (I travel alone a lot and I can't always say this.) And I was sad to leave.

A few things to know: Ask questions of the staff. They were happy to answer. Don't assume something isn't available just because no one mentioned it--I saw a guest get an ironing board, for example.

It's been said before--call their # to get the best room choices and also to learn if there's a wedding going on. I also got a better rate than I would have on the website. Maybe that was luck, but calling is clearly the best option.

Expect this to be "old time", so if you like to control your AC (I don't care), want to watch TV, and want big rooms automatically, etc., this might not be the place for you in Cape May.

I met a lot of great people just hanging on the porch or having a glass of wine at their bar. I feel like I found my spot at Cape May, maybe you will, too.

Room Tip: Call the hotel itself and have them describe different options for you. In some rooms have you shar...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I came here with my fourteen-year-old daughter and stayed for a week. The experience was great. The Southern-style meals in the Magnolia Room restaurant were absolutely delicious and satisfying. The rooms were clean and convenient. There were many ways to keep busy on the one rainy day we had, whether it be board games in the television room or listening to a band play at the Kind Edward Bar. The location worked well in terms of beach and leisure activities out of the hotel. We'll certainly be returning.

• Stayed June 2013
Na
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We frequent Cape May every year during the 4th of July. Our usual BB was booked so the only place that had availability was the Chalfonte. This will be our last time booking here at
the Chal-not. There was no TV in the room and when I called the front desk they told me that they remove them during the summertime. The street parking was horrible, the room we stayed in was tiny and on the 3rd floor of the southern house. It's an adjacent house next to the Chalfonte with no BB feel to it. The bathroom had no toilet paper holder and my 5 yr old daughter had to struggle to hold the roll of paper and go to the bathroom. Last but not least no AC thermo control from inside the room. We payed after taxes ~$530 for 2 nights but never again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Our family of four stayed at The Chalfonte for four days and it was wonderful. We have two teenagers and we all loved it. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. We liked that there was no tv or phones in the room, as it really felt like you were back in time. The room was decorated Victorian and you felt right at home walking around the hotel in bare feet. The front porch is wonderful ... you can rock and hear the ocean and watch the horse and carriages go by. The location is great, you can walk to the beach and also Washington Mall ... perfect! We drove all the way from Minnesota to stay at Cape May and The Chalfonte, and we were not disappointed. We will go back some day! Don't miss the sunset at Sunset Beach!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
ny
Reviewed 28 June 2013

we visited the hotel for dinner because their fried chicken was supposed to be wonderful. We had to order the complete meal for $36 which included an appetizer and salad....which I did not want. The chicken leg and thigh was very very dry and very small. It was horrible.. I asked for a potato and had to have the non descript rice.... which I did not eat. I was so disappointed and I did report it to the people who were in charge. The general manager was not there. I would never return there to eat again... I ended up not being able to at the meal --but did have a a cup of soup just so I would have some sort of dinner. The clam chowder was ok....

1 Thank arl629
latrobe,pa
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We typically stay in a B&B but when our usual place was booked we decided on the Chalfonte's Southern Quarters, which is a separate building, located next door to the main hotel. We picked room 4 specifically for the large, private 2nd floor porch, private bath and AC. The room was a nice size with a full and twin size bed. The Southern quarters is located on the ocean side of the property and the ocean breeze was so nice that we only needed the AC at night. We did not eat in the restaurant, however the King Edward bar is very nice and allowed us to take drinks back to our room to enjoy on the porch. The location is great and we had no problem finding parking. Would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank tammy75
Wildwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Amazing great Southern-style food. Located within the porch of this Historic Hotel. Tried their Sunday evening buffet and couldn't get enough. The fried chicken was the best but everything in the buffet was outstanding, from the salads to dessert. Will definitely return with friends!!!

Room Tip: After dinner we toured the Lobby, Lounge & Grounds. Beautiful, welcoming & quaint. I didn...
1 Thank Tim B