“Good...could be great”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We spent July 4th weekend at this semi-B&B located about 2 blocks from the pedestrian mall. Southern Mansion charges rates equivalent to the better hotels and B&B's in Cape May. While we enjoyed a very large room with excellent towels, linens and bedding, and while the public areas are very well maintained, there are several things missing that would put this on a par with similarly priced hotels. Most of these are minor improvements that should be provided where a room costs $300 or more per night.

The SM is nowhere near the beach. Given its large fenced in grounds, a pool would be a welcome addition.

The front porch is lovely, with rockers and padded chairs, but is unusable in the afternoon because it faces west. Awnings and ceiling fans would allow the porch to be enjoyed at all times.

There is no safe in the rooms, a necessity for guests who will be going to the beach and don't want to worry about their valuables being unprotected (either in the room or on the beach).

There is one newspaper put out in the lounge. This is ridiculous for a place that has 25 rooms.

There are no afternoon tea edibles as most B&B's provide, although coffee, tea and lemonade are available.

The front entry system which requires punching in a code is acceptable at night, but is it really necessary during daytime when the front desk is staffed. The system is a bit awkward and requires 2 hands to open the door, which is annoying if you are carrying something.

To summarize, the hotel/B&B is in a good location for access to the best restaurants in town without the hassle of finding a parking space. The breakfast is excellent, featuring many choices of hot and cold items. Air conditioning worked well, and the beds were very comfortable. Overall, I felt the room was a bit overpriced, for the reasons listed above. Wireless internet service was free and works well in the front building, but the desk indicated that service may be spotty in the additions.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are preferred as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SEAPOINTER

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Pros:
I visit cape May several times a year during all seasons. I have tried numerous Bed and Breakfasts including the Queen Victoria, which is top rated. in addition, I have stayed in the Virginia Hotel and Congress Hall, which are great in the summer because of the pool, and yet, always return to the Southern Mansion. It has beautiful elegant rooms, common areas, and grounds. When it comes to romance, privacy, and elegance, the Southern Mansion is the best choice in Cape May.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My stay at the southern mansion was delighted. My boyfriend and I booked them through another website, and we were pleasantly surprised. The outer and inner decor of the building was remarkable, the rooms were huge and nicely decorated. They served a delicious breakfast with all the fixing. My only concern about SM was the old wooden antique beds in the room. They were large California king size but made a lot if squeaky noises. Lol! :)

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 23 April 2011

While there may be many nice places to stay in Cape May, nothing compares to the Southern Mansion. The beautiful rooms, lush grounds, delicious breakfasts and personal attention from the staff make your stay a memorable one. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Rita, a knowledgeable, friendly host who had wonderful suggestions for where to go and what to do in Cape May. She gave us background knowledge on the mansion, and made herself available for any and all questions (her best suggestion being the Washington Inn for dinner-fantastic food, highly recommend it.) The rooms were GORGEOUS and comfortable, well kept and impeccably clean. Being in our room, 21, was like stepping back in time to a different era. There was a gorgeous solarium where we enjoyed a cup of fresh coffee and comfortable wooden rocking chairs that gave us a view of the gorgeous gardens. The food we enjoyed for breakfast was second to none. I thoroughly enjoyed the best french toast I had ever eaten and my significant other enjoyed pouched eggs that were so good he ordered them 2 days in a row! Much thanks to Rita, Denise, and Barbara for all their help- we promise to come back over and over again. There really is nowhere else we'd rather stay in Cape May!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank mmmiller1228
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My wife and I started staying here before we were married. 12 years (& 2 kids) later, the Southern Mansion continues to be our favorite 'getaway' destination - domestic or international. Forget calling their team a 'staff,' from the moment you arrive - they immediately make you feel like family. We've never been disappointed with a request (and we've tried a few challenges along the way). We've stayed in the main house and the Annex (newer construction). Rooms are impressive throughout, but we prefer the main house. Other than traditional B&B's, the Southern Mansion has a great balance of full access to a traditional Victorian-style home, modern amenities, and the ability to find your own space in the house to be alone. It is in walking distance to all of the major shops & restaurants in Cape May, which is a big plus. If you comparison shop to some of the other B&B's / hotels in town, you'll be surprised at what you get for the money. We look forward to continuing our visits for years to come.

Room Tip: They try hard to accomodate specific room requests
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom52511
Reviewed 8 March 2011

My husband, daughter and I traveled to Cape May to look at real estate and stayed in a suite configured as a room and loft with its own solarium - beautiful! However, the loft which housed the king bed, while lovely, had very low ceilings, and neither my husband nor I could stand up straight in the room. This was a minor inconvenience but should be made clear to guests staying in this room - accommodations were well appointed and clean and concerns were immediately addressed. The main house is gorgeous - the main living room inviting with double fireplaces. The breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. The staff was gracious and helpful. However, I must say that the coffee recipe needs to be updated - weak and nondescript. The tea selection was fabulous.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
mangsoma, Owner at The Southern Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

Thank you for your review. We agreed the coffee was not good that day! So we went out and implemented a whole new system. It is really delicious now. Hope you'll get to try it again soon! Thanks again ! Denise

Reviewed 6 March 2011

I come to Cape May because it provides me with another place in time. A get away from home that allows me to truly relax. My husband and I have been coming down for years and we have stayed at a number of hotels and B & B's. Then we found the Southern Mansion. Well I can't say enough. You have to see this place to believe it! The guests are interesting, the staff courteous and helpful, and the breakfasts are fresh and healthy!
If life starts getting hectic at home and we decide that we need a Cape May visit, we will always call "our" Mansion first. If they're booked we still come down anyway but it's not the same. Thanks again to everyone for our last visit, and I hope to see you all again real soon. Donna & Bill

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple