The Southern Mansion
Jetty Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$171
Madison Avenue Beach Club Motel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$132
Congress Hall(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$419
Ocean Club Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$253
La Mer Beachfront Inn(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$277
US$270
The Grand Hotel(Cape May)
US$189
Carroll Villa Hotel(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$260
Travelocity
Montreal Beach Resort(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$245
Travelocity
Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$205
Wilbraham Mansion(Cape May)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$262
All reviewshouse smoked salmonassortment of pastrieseggs any stylewillow creek wineryfrench toastinn staffhot entreesyogurtwedding venuerooms are gorgeousget awayafternoon teabreakfast was excellentprivate entrancebed and breakfastliving socialturn down service
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I just came back from a 3-night stay at the Southern Mansion. First, let me start by saying that the hotel appears in person as it does on the website -- it is a beautiful property, rooms are gorgeous, and the construction and renovation of the facility is top notch. Quite beautiful, actually. It's in the details and other amenities that we found the hotel to fall short. Let me explain . . .

LOCATION: The hotel is well situated within Cape May. Plenty of on-site parking is provided, which means you can park and walk everywhere you want to go. The "mall" is a short 2 block walk (5 minutes), and the beach is about 5-6 blocks (about 12 minutes). In fact, the hotel is located directly across the street from the Washington Inn restaurant, one of the perennial best in Cape May.

ROOM: The room was exactly as advertised on the website -- We chose room 11A, which was a queen room located on the second floor of the main building. It is listed as "smaller" on the website, but it was perfectly adequate in size for our needs. One surprise was that the bathroom sink was located in the bedroom and not in the bathroom as one would expect, but that was perfectly fine with us. Bed was extremely comfortable, and room was exceptionally clean. Also, one much appreciated bath robe was provided (but, why not two?).

SERVICE & AMENITIES: Now, this is where we get to the disappointing part. I hope that management takes this as a list of "needed improvements" to help make their property one that I would want to return to. We have traveled pretty extensively, and expect certain amenities at this price point that were just nowhere to be found. We have found these amenities at other B&B's (and even some hotel chains), where attention to detail and personal service is why you go. List as follows: (1) Wifi was only available in the main area of the hotel, not in the room. This meant that we were not able to watch movies in bed as we had planned; (2) No movie / DVD library to utilize, or DVD player in room; (3) No in-room refrigerator (even the Best Western provides one of these!); (4) Not enough drawer space in our room, so we couldn't even properly unpack; (5) provided beach chairs and towels were not up to par -- towels were threadbare, and chairs were cheap sand chairs that did not even lay flat. Had I known, I would have brought my own from home. (6) No late-night snack or chocolate at turn-down service; (7) grumpy front desk staff. In addition, very little, if any, amenities are provided at this facility. While staying at another Cape May B&B (Angel of the Sea), conveniences such as bicycles and beach passes were provided as a complimentary amenity for guests, making our stay there that much enjoyable and memorable.

BREAKFAST & FOOD: At best, average. When staying at B&B's, we feel that part of the experience is to be treated to something a little special for breakfast, and this was not the case here. On the daily menu is a buffet spread (danish, cereal, salmon, fresh fruit), and the menu included your standard fare -- eggs, pancakes, omelette, french toast and a daily special (which every day we were there was an omelette). I could make all of this myself at home, which was disappointing. No special treats here. The beverages provided throughout the day were watered down, and there were no snacks as is typically provided by B&B's - no homemade cookies, scones, brownies, etc. Disappointing!

VALUE: For $250+ a night, I frankly expect more for my money. I understand that Cape May is typically a little more on the pricey side, but if I am paying this much, I expect to have a little more of a luxurious feel, which just was missing here.

This place is caught somewhere between a B&B and a boutique hotel, and not really doing either category justice. It is a beautiful property, with beautiful rooms, but management really needs to step up the service and amenities to match the beautiful surroundings. Probably would pass on this during our next trip to Cape May and try somewhere else.

4  Thank Amush
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Very nice, well kept B&B. We stayed in room 3, please be aware that there is a very large painting of a fully naked woman hanging prominently on a wall. They did advise us of this when making the reservation, to their credit. On site parking is a plus. Bed was comfortable and bedding was really nice.

1  Thank Dave G
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Southern Mansion and from the moment we walked in and met Ken at the front desk, our visit was perfect. The property is a beautiful Victorian mansion that is immaculately clean and well appointed. The sitting room is large, airy and gorgeous. We stayed in Room 3, with red walls, a king sized bed and gorgeous furnishings. And a HUGE portrait of a naked lady on the wall!! The place is fun, has an exotic feel, and is just gorgeous. When we got to our room, our tv didn't work. Ken, the front desk guy came right up and began trouble shooting, He was wonderful. He contacted a couple of staff people by phone until someone made a suggestion that it may be the cable box. He came back again and did what was suggested and voila, it worked!! He did this all with a smile and what impressed me the most was that he CARED!!! This was customer service at its BEST!!! I hope Ken sees this- Ken- you were fabulous!!!
Breakfast is served at 8 AM. They have an assortment of pastries, cereals, juices, coffee, etc that are out already. Then they have an extensive breakfast menu of pancakes, eggs, french toast, etc. Breakfast was delicious.
Everything about this place was opulent. The grounds reminded me of an English garden. There is a large porch with chairs to relax and read on. The location of this bed and breakfast was walking distance to the Washington Street Mall- with loads of shops and restaurants. It was lovely to walk there both during the day and in the evening.
This was a great place!

Room Tip: Room 3 was the only room we saw (it was our room). It was gorgeous!! King bed/comfy sheets/blanket. Gorgeous furniture!
3  Thank Marian S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I just completed a weekend stay at the Southern Mansion, and we were extremely pleased. This was our 7th visit to Cape May, and we have rented a number of different homes with other families and also stayed at a few inns and B&Bs. The Southern Mansion met and exceeded all of our expectations. We always stay within walking distance, and the Southern Mansion was a nice walk to the beach and to town, as well as a great place from which to bike all around. Ample parking on-site is also a nice plus so close to town. Our room was very spacious, clean and quiet. We especially liked all of the rocking chair/porch options to relax - at the front of the hotel as well as on the enclosed hallway in front of our room. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept.I have seen some negative feedback about the breakfast, and I'm extremely puzzled. The pastries and fruit were all very tasty (especially the scones). In addition, a full breakfast is given, and my egg white omelette with crab and asparagus was delicious. There were many options to choose from, and none of our party had any complaints. A nice treat is that lemonade, tea and coffee are set out all day, and the coffee happened to be excellent (nice to have an ice coffee in the afternoon). It was even enjoyable to listen in on parts of the historical tours that were given (but not intrusive) to learn about the wonderful history of the inn. What perhaps stood out the most to me was the service we received from every member of the staff. To a person, everyone was pleasant, engaging and clearly trying to make sure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. The little accommodations they provided (allowing us to check-out towels on our departure day) may seem small, but it is often the little things that separate one establishment from another. In sum, our stay was wonderful top-to-bottom. We would gladly return to the Southern Mansion.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Room 18 in the back of the hotel but with easy ground floor access.
1  Thank DAC614
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We just completed our stay at the Southern Mansion for the first time. It was like our home away from home. The room was very, nice and clean and the bed was comfy. The staff was pleasant, the breakfast good and the grounds were well kept. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013