“Never ever disappointed.”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have written a ton of reviews for this place throughout 20 plus years. I have to say it has never ever disappointed my husband, my daughter, and myself. This trip was my husband and I. We have stayed in many rooms here but by far our favorite is The Master Suite right next to the office and right off the Parlor. It's as large or larger than an apartment in NY. I don't know that I'd ever want to stay in another room again. Check in is always smooth and very friendly. The place is always immaculate. The grounds are amazing. The porch is amazing. The gorgeous attention to detail in the ornate decor is so fitting to the time period in which it reflects. Barbara Bray Wilde did an amazing job in finding antiques and decor that suit this place perfectly. The bedding is always phenomenal. I love the pillows and mattress and comforter. They always smell so clean and fresh. We always get a perfect night sleep here. Breakfast is always amazing and plenty of food and beverages to choose from. We both ordered egg white omelet with asparagus, crabmeat and hollandaise sauce, sausages, home fries and whole wheat toast. They also had cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, muffins, house smoked salmon with capers, tomato, and field greens. All to die for.
We are looking to book soon again soon.

Room Tip: The master suite. I think it's Room 2. Really though I love all the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Southern Mansion Nov. 10 & 11, 2013. We wanted a quiet get away for our anniversary. It was our first Bed & Breakfast stay. The location is great, short walk to the shore & the outdoor mall. This time of year many stores and restaurants are closed for the season. Ken, front desk, greeted us warmly and is very pleasant. They are very helpful when we were looking for a place to eat. They have menus of area restaurants and called ahead for us to make sure they were open. The breakfast was delicious, the room was large and comfortable(high beds, be carefull!) Included in our stay was a visit to the Willow Creek Winery(same owner as Mansion),very enjoyable tour and tasting. My only complaint is we rushed back from the winery tour to take the mansion tour( as posted on large sighs in front of the mansion) to be told there was no tour at that time.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 first floor, good location, close to breakfast and easily accessible to parking...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our 2-day stay took place in this large comfy Victorian mansion-and it is just that. Our third floor room in the main building could accommodate a family of four with its two beds.The holiday decoration was delightful and tasteful. We didn't mind the stairs-good exercise. I suggest they re-stuff the Victorian antique couches in the main salon for more comfort. The breakfast to order was fine but the muffin recipe was far too oily. Easy walk to the main shopping area. Not so much to do in the winter but of the several couples we met, several were repeat visits, quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: Third floor was quiet. If you need better accessibility, there are rooms in the addition on the firs...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have read a number if the negative reviews of this hotel. I expect they are honest and should be taken seriously, but the portrait they paint was not at all our experience. Indeed given what we paid - half price thanks to a living social deal - I would give it five stars. I rate it 4 stars not to mislead people who are paying the Inn's usual price. Why four or five stars? Here's what it had going for it: nice property; well appointed, clean room, comfortable bed, not much external noise, and a good breakfast in pleasant surroundings. Not only did the breakfast include a nice buffet style selection, including quite good house smoked salmon during the first day of our stay, but there was also a cooked option, including for the health conscious an egg white omelet special and for those not so health conscious tasty sausage. Also the few requests we had were quickly and politely attended to.
We prefer the lesser formality and lesser elegance of a homey bed and breakfast and probably would not stay here if we visited Cape May again, especially at full price, but if we were looking for a place of this sort we would not hesitate to return based on our experience, which was nothing like the negatives I have read. However, the Inn does not match the level of some similarly priced small hotels in other locations which is why I give it only 4 stars - for Cape May, however, it's prices are probably not out of line, especially in high season.

In addition to the hotel our Living Social deal entitled us to a visit to a local winery that was started by the owners of the hotel. The winery was in about it's sixth year but in the first year of its own production and the cellars and facilities for winemaking were not yet complete. Thus the tour we had focused on the vineyards. Thanks to Stacy our guide and herself a former, it was perhaps the most informative and interesting winery tour we have ever taken, much more so than some tours I have taken of Napa Valley and French wineries. If you can get Stacey to take you on a tour you will be delighted by her personality and knowledge, although the cost at $15 is quite high if you aren't taking the tour as part off deal. The wines themselves were fine, but the owners must have thought better of them than their quality justified because they struck us as overpriced. At $14 a bottle we might have taken some home; at twice that we weren't tempted - a bit like the room prices perhaps. There seems to be a theme here - the owners think a bit better of their property than they should and so they price things at a bit more than seems quality-justified. Still if you like stylish comfort, if you don't mind paying for comfort, and if your experience is like ours, you won't regret choosing to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had our wedding at the Southern Mansion and despite three days of rain and being forced indoors, it was beautiful. The staff made us and our guests feel welcomed and they do a great overall job. Staying here isn't for everyone, but if you like historic and quirky charm and a fantastic breakfast, this is the place. I proposed and was married here and it will always be my first choice whenever we are staying in Cape May.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just got married here at the end of September. Our guests were so pleased with the beautiful grounds, the fabulous food and the gorgeous ballroom that they cannot stop talking about our wedding. Our ceremony was held on the well-manicured grounds of the mansion. The cocktail hour was held outside among high top tables with delicious hors d'oeuvres passed. The ballroom brings you back to a gorgeous Victorian era. Any bride would be foolish to not consider this establishment when you look for a venue. The rooms were stunning and the breakfast is delicious each and every day. We look forward to seeing this lovely old girl for as many anniversaries as we can.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room here. Avoid the solarium if possible when weddings occur. You will have to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

For me it was a first at the Mansion and I was very impressed with the layout and the place. The only negative thing was parking since we did not overnight there, so we had to park somewhere and at night walking to ones car wherever it was was treacherous (uneven side walks). The ceremony and reception was outside and other than fighting the lawn with ones heels it was just lovely. Food and Drinks were excellent. The Dinner itself was something else - wonderful food in wonderful company. Highly recommendable for special functions.I was told that the rooms were just great and one night I would like to stay there, breakfast/brunch - the works. Cape May speaks for itself and for this particular event it was lovely, weather and all. Very impressed. Chris E

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends