“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Clark, New Jersey
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Staff friendly, rooms large, nicely decorated and extremely clean. Breakfast wonderful, Close to everything except beach. Very relaxing atmosphere. Have gone back many times and will again.
Very interesting tour of the mansion. Be sure to do that.

Room Tip: We have stayed in several different rooms and each was wonderful in its own way. Can't go wrong...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
York Haven, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love the Southern Mansion. The rooms are beautiful and well kept. The mansion house alone is gorgeous but it was even more so decorated for Christmas. I don't feel like I'm at a hotel or an inn when I'm there, I feel like I'm at home. Our stay was wonderful, relaxing and we didn't want to leave. The fact that the breakfast is outstanding is just a bonus on staying at one of the most elegant places in cape may. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2013
Buckingham, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

My wife and I just returned from our shared 40th birthday weekend retreat (Dec 14/15, 2013). The Southern Mansion is a gem, authentic Victorian top to bottom. We were greeted by Ken at the front desk, who couldn't have made a better first impression...warm and welcoming, funny and chatty, just a nice, nice guy. Our room was #11, a split level King room with a sitting room, nice bathroom with roomy shower and claw-footed tub, and a really cool lofted bedroom up a spiral staircase. Breakfast was solid...a nice spread of pastries, fruit, yogurt, tea, coffee, and salmon, and a to-order menu for eggs, French toast, etc... Coffee and tea appeared to be available well into the afternoon/evening. Location was perfect, immediately across the street from The Washington Inn (we had an excellent dinner here, but to be honest, we had an even better dinner at the Peter Shields Inn, which isn't too far from The Southern Mansion), just a few short blocks (easily walkable) to the Mall area, and a short drive to the lighthouse area. The Southern Mansion has off-street parking for guests, which is a huge plus. The interior of The Southern Mansion is spectacular, with multiple fireplaces, period furniture, grand cathedral and spiral staircases, and stunning mouldings and paint schemes. Lots of paintings of naked ladies, but hey, that's also true to the period. We learned that The Southern Mansion has the same ownership as the Willow Creek Winery, where we went for a really nice "Sip and Shop" event (drink a glass of wine while checking out/shopping with local vendors). We ran in to Ken at this event, and he recognized us and treated us like old friends. It's a very nice, new winery, with surprisingly good wines. We visited in December, and it seemed like we had Cape May virtually to ourselves...I'm sure that added to the enjoyment of our trip.
There were a few negatives. Ken was awesome, and the majority of other front desk staff we interacted with were quality. The staff at breakfast were attentive and pleasant. There was one front desk person who wasn't nearly as pleasant, and I have to say that our visit might have felt a little different were she the person we interacted with most as opposed to Ken. Also, the power went out in our room multiple times when my wife was trying to use the hair dryer (both nights of our stay, and using both the hair dryer permanently mounted in our room and my wife's personal hair dryer plugged into the GFI outlet). We were told this happens quite a bit in Room 11, and it happened to us despite turning off essentially everything in the room but the hair dryer. Personally, I put a lot more value in the response to a problem, and the staff were quick on the fix. Besides, it was pretty funny.
Overall, positives FAR outweigh the negatives. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 11 was very cool with the lofted bedroom area and spiral staircase.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Randolph, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been coming to Cape May for many years. Though we've tried other B&Bs, we always return here. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than others, but there is a reason for that. The Southern Mansion isn't a typical B&B for all the reasons mentioned in the favorable reviews. We especially like Room 25, large, private and so comfortable.

We were, however, very disappointed to learn upon check in that they have done away with their wonderful afternoon tea. Sure, there is tea and other beverages available, but gone is the lovely spread of afternoon treats. For the price of the rooms, we felt this was a real takeaway and really left us lost when it was something we were so looking forward to.

Instead, we found the Butterfly Tea Room on Sunset Blvd, which we highly recommend for those who love afternoon tea. When we visited, they offered their Christmas menu: scones, homemade soup, finger sandwiches, sweets and of course, your choice of tea. The owner is a true delight. She lets you pick your own tea pot from a large selection of all different styles. Such fun. A must see the next time visiting Cape May

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmartinangelo
Mineral, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Southern Mansion is a B&B... but we found it to be much more. The facility, built in 1863 and fully restored to that state, including many items and artwork left over from past eras, is as close to living in the 19th century as we could ask for. The room, large by any standard, had furniture like (and some actually from) the 1860s. The huge parlor/sitting room had beautifull Victorian decorations and two fireplaces. The staff was friendly and efficient... and the "full breakfast" (on the house) was as good as any we have been served anywhere (by an attentive wait staff,) with specials each day plus a full standard menu.
The facility is in town, three blocks from the northern start of the Washington Street outdoor shopping mall, nearly a quarter mile long (my wife loved that feature.)
The Southern Mansion isn't the only great B&B in town, but it is certainly at the top of our list.

Room Tip: We were is Room 15 on the ground floor, known as the Lincoln Bedroom. It is close to the main areas...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bschaeff
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have written a ton of reviews for this place throughout 20 plus years. I have to say it has never ever disappointed my husband, my daughter, and myself. This trip was my husband and I. We have stayed in many rooms here but by far our favorite is The Master Suite right next to the office and right off the Parlor. It's as large or larger than an apartment in NY. I don't know that I'd ever want to stay in another room again. Check in is always smooth and very friendly. The place is always immaculate. The grounds are amazing. The porch is amazing. The gorgeous attention to detail in the ornate decor is so fitting to the time period in which it reflects. Barbara Bray Wilde did an amazing job in finding antiques and decor that suit this place perfectly. The bedding is always phenomenal. I love the pillows and mattress and comforter. They always smell so clean and fresh. We always get a perfect night sleep here. Breakfast is always amazing and plenty of food and beverages to choose from. We both ordered egg white omelet with asparagus, crabmeat and hollandaise sauce, sausages, home fries and whole wheat toast. They also had cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, muffins, house smoked salmon with capers, tomato, and field greens. All to die for.
We are looking to book soon again soon.

Room Tip: The master suite. I think it's Room 2. Really though I love all the rooms.
Enfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Southern Mansion Nov. 10 & 11, 2013. We wanted a quiet get away for our anniversary. It was our first Bed & Breakfast stay. The location is great, short walk to the shore & the outdoor mall. This time of year many stores and restaurants are closed for the season. Ken, front desk, greeted us warmly and is very pleasant. They are very helpful when we were looking for a place to eat. They have menus of area restaurants and called ahead for us to make sure they were open. The breakfast was delicious, the room was large and comfortable(high beds, be carefull!) Included in our stay was a visit to the Willow Creek Winery(same owner as Mansion),very enjoyable tour and tasting. My only complaint is we rushed back from the winery tour to take the mansion tour( as posted on large sighs in front of the mansion) to be told there was no tour at that time.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 first floor, good location, close to breakfast and easily accessible to parking...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple