“Met my "high" standards for a bed and breakfast!”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I need to begin by stating that I am not a fan of "bed and breakfasts". They tend to be very stuffy, somewhat unconfortable, dark and esoteric. The Southern Mansion, did not disappoint. Although, the exterior and grounds are quite impressive and beautiful, the interior met my high standards as stated above; stuffy, uncomfortable, dark and esoteric. I can add to this that although the shower was quite large it was provided water through a shower head that reminded me of a hose nozzle that had no adjustments. The entire place was immaculate. Breakfast consisted of a wide assortment of juices, fruits and pastries. Guests were provided a chice of 2 entrees for breakfast. An additional charge was applied for someone who wanted another entree.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ken R

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Was invited to a wedding at the Southern Mansion so we stay there for 2 nights. It is a great hotel, quaint & romantic. Each room is unique to itself which a traditional vintage decor which adds to the charm of the property. Walking distance to the town and a short ride to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 17traveler17
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our tour of The Southern Mansion was wonderful! The beauty and history of the Mansion are incredible. Our tour guide, Hamilton, whose family currently owns the Mansion, was very welcoming and informative. The tour was only $10 per person and it lasted a full hour. Hamilton was very knowledgeable and she answered all of our questions, and told us many interesting stories about the families who previously lived there. The Mansion had fallen into disrepair before the it was purchased and beautifully restored by Hamilton's family. It was impeccably restored and decorated for the period in which it was originally built and much of the original furniture and wall hangings were also restored and were on display. The family even milled the lumber from some of the trees on the grounds to use in the restoration.The Mansion also boasts magnificent gardens. The tour was great and we highly recommend it!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank and Linda B
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during our anniversary. The inn is beautiful, and has it's own parking which is a huge plus. It's also across from my favorite restaurant (Washington inn) . We booked a room with a private entrance which was very convenient forgoing in and out of and especially packing and unpacking. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars was the breakfast. It was good, but you were served from a menu and if u wanted more had to pay extra seemed a bit hotelish and less bed and breakfast style .

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank cattjer812
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Southern Mansion is unique because you have the feel of being on a secluded estate, but you also enjoy the benefits of being within easy walking distance of the beaches and shopping areas. We have vacationed in Cape May many times before, and the Southern Mansion is superior to all of the places we have stayed previously. All of the staff were courteous and accommodating. We stayed in a Premier King Room on the second floor of the annex building. The room was immaculate and beautifully decorated. The breakfast was delicious and the coffee was excellent. (Bad coffee can make or break a breakfast for me !) We will definitely stay at the Southern Mansion again. Although hotel information says wifi is in common areas only, I was able to connect to an xfinity hotspot from my room. I loved that the hotel is such a quiet environment- children over the age of 10 are welcome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna B
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My daughter and I have been coming to Cape May for years and have always wanted to stay at The Southern Mansion. We finally made an overnight trip in early June and had a great stay! The place is immaculate, the gardens are beautiful, and the breakfast was delicious! The staff was exceptionally friendly (Ken and Rita especially) as well. I would definitely recommend staying here! The tour was also very nice (Jasmine did a good job) and is free if you're staying at the Mansion!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JoAnne P
Reviewed 10 June 2014

my husband and I just staye there this past weekend for our 1st year anniversary married the staff are great the mansion is GORGEOUS the whole place is a dream we will continue to go every year evertything is close by beach is three blocks down. if your going to dine out you MUST try Lucky Bones!! and also the blue rose which is located across the street from the mansion. we loved it and give it 5 stars!! John & Michelle

Room Tip: we stayed in the third floor room 8 it was gorgeous