“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
York Haven, PA
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

The Southern Mansion is "Southern Hospitality" at it's finest. From the moment we were greeted at the door until the minute we left, we felt like we were staying with family and friends. The breakfast is outstanding and the afternoon tea and snacks were more than pleasing. The rooms were clean and the service was above and beyond anything I have ever experienced in a B & B. Perfect location and beautiful landscape to relax in and enjoy.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Southern Mansion for a much needed getaway. We usually stay at Congress Hall but but they were just way too expensive in July! The Southern Mansion was absolutely beautiful, the staff was super friendly and the decor was darling! We loved the breakfast, which is included with your stay, unlike at Congress Hall where you only pay for the room... and that is all you get.

Can't wait to stay there next year... It just may be our new favorite p;lace to stay in Cape May.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Manhattan, NY NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Long story short, even a "100% Confirmed Reservation" means nothing to the manager of this property.

Tale of Woe and Intrigue follows:

Inn accepted reservations for two rooms for Nov 25th and 26th.
Inn sent an e-mail entitled "100% Confirmed Reservation", and charged my credit card $340.00 for the first night of the two rooms.

Based upon these assurances, airline reservations were made for my parents, who were joining us for Thanksgiving. As usual with airline reservations, significant penalties are imposed for any changes made after the flights are booked.

Two days later, the Inn calls to inform me that my reservation was "canceled", as the Inn would not be open that week. The manager attempted to blame her employees for making an error, but this was clearly a lie. The Inn clearly made a business decision to close, based upon a lack of bookings, and made the decision after confirming my reservation, and after billing my credit card.

I asked for the same room rates to be used for the same rooms on the following weekend, but the manager refused to honor the confirmed reservation when the Inn would be open.

Given that the Inn has cost me $500 in airline ticket-change fees, I demand the same penalty from the Inn that they would have extracted from me - the forfeit of the first night's fees for both rooms, or $340.00.

They have clearly breached a very basic contract. In general, when a hotel turns away a guest with a reservation guaranteed by a credit card, it's obliged to find alternate accommodation at a nearby hotel - AND PAY FOR the first night there. This is called "walking." If the replacement room is more expensive, the hotel should cover the cost difference for all the nights of the reservation.

This Inn could not even be bothered to suggest alternate accommodations, so they simply cannot be trusted to handle the arrangements for Thanksgiving with my parents. Therefore, liquidated damages equal to the cost of the first night's stay is an equitable arrangement.

They have been reported to the local BBB, and if they ignore the BBB, I'll drag both Barbara & Mary (the owners) into court.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank packetfire
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

The Southern Mansion can't decide whether it wants to be a B&B or a museum and thus fails at both. The beds were definitely antiques and quite uncomfortable, the dresser drawers don't open and the toilets don't flush well, either. The wait staff were lovely, the food was average but beware of the rude office staff! Notwithstanding that they promote weddings, family retreats, showers and other family events, they are not at all family friendly. Though it does not say this anywhere on the website, children under 10 are definitely NOT welcome

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank hez282003
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

This has been our 3rd time staying in the Southern Mansion during their peak season and we always have had a great experience. They provide on site parking which is a real plus in Cape May, the rooms are a very nice size and very clean and comfortable. While they have eliminated their afternoon tea service they still provide a sit down breakfast- you pick your table and a nice breakfast choice. In comparison to the other B&B's the Southern Mansion common areas are air conditioned which is a real plus in July. My husband and I have stayed at numerous B&B's in Cape May and in the morning the breakfast common areas are so humid and you wait on line to obtain a small plate of food and then sit next to people and sweat. This is NOT my idea of being on vacation. One other additional perk for the Southern Mansion is they have an industrial ice machine where you can bring your cooler and fill it up to the brim, unlike other places where they have the small machines and you can only take a scoopful or 2. If you are willing to walk 2 extra blocks to get to the beach, this is the place for you!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Thorofare, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

The Southern Mansion was a beautiful place for a weekend away. We vacation in Cape May each summer and frequent the B&B's in the Spring, and the Mansion was at the top of our "must see" list.

I initially tried to reserve a Queen room, but they were booked and we recieved a free upgrade to a King, which was fantastic. The room was huge, particularly for a B&B and opulently decorared. We were incredibly comfortable.

The breakfast was limited: though there were croissants and fruit with cereal available, this is not why we stay at B&Bs. There were only two choices of hot meals each day, and one was always an omelet. The second choice was always a starch (pancakes, french toast). I travel with a picky eater, and the staff was nice enough to eliminate the fruit sauces whenever possible on the breads for him. We did encounter problems, however, when the waitress gave us the wrong menu and we ordered a meal which was not actually available. We love other CM B&Bs like the Angel of the Sea and their snack time and wine and cheese hour, which is not available here.

The reservation process was dicey: I originally tried twice to check reservations online, and am still waiting to hear back! I called in January after receiving a gift certificate for Christmas, and the woman admitted she was not familiar with the process and that the Inn was actually closed for the winter. I was not entirely comfortable that our reservation was properly taken care of, and called back when the Mansion re-opened to confirm. All was well, but it made me nervous. We were also told there'd be a wedding that night, and when I asked (interested to see!) they said no wedding was ever scheduled that weekend. Checking out was also slightly uncomfortable as the receptionist was on the phone and did not hang up...she simply took my key with a smile and a mouthed "thanks." Not rude, just...indifferent and disorganized. Not what I'd expect from such a setting!

Finally, the Southern Mansion is a wonderful place for a romantic getaway...but it's a 100+ year old building, and there's thin walls. :) Use discretion, especially when on the first floor!

We did have a lovely time and would return.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

When I & my fiance first arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Having not stayed there before we did not know what to expect and WOW!!! everything was just lovely, the staff, the rooms, the food, the location. We cannot wait top go back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple