“Fantastic place in Cape May!”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic place in Cape May!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was my second trip to Cape May this year, first in the summer and then off-season in November, and both times I stayed at the Southern Mansion. On both visits, I was extremely pleased with this property, and thoroughly enjoyed the unique and beautiful ambiance the Southern Mansion achieves. The service was impeccable, the breakfasts were delicious and the rooms (with nightly turn down service) both beautiful and comfortable. I think the key to staying at the Southern Mansion is you have to know what to expect - this is not a hotel with large flat screen televisions, spa style bathrooms, modern furniture and endless amenities. Also, this is not quite the small, intimate bed and breakfast where everyone seems to know everyone else. This is a very unique property, one which begs to linger in awhile, explore and to enjoy the grandeur and beauty of its architecture, romance and history. I don’t stay in the Southern Mansion (or travel to Cape May for that matter) to be coddled and pampered or waited on hand and foot. I stay here to immerse myself in the beauty of the Victorian period, with its amazing architecture, the period furniture, the grand parlor with its floor to ceiling mirrors and matching fireplaces, the intricate woodwork and crown moldings of the Superior King rooms and all the other interesting details that allow me to momentarily blanket myself in the romantic and intimate feel of that which makes Cape May such a wonderful town. When I think of Cape May, and the Southern Mansion, I am reminded of my other favorite town - Savannah, Georgia. For me, I am sure the Southern Mansion would be at home there just as well. I have stayed at other popular and well reviewed places in Cape May, and although they all were nice, I have to say, the Southern Mansion is my new spot, and I am sure I will return to this beautiful place many times in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Keikanca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
marlton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had a terrific weekend staying at the Mansion. The B&B was within walking distance to fabulous restaurants, shopping, and even took a carriage ride one evening. The staff was johnny on the spot with turndowns, information, and touring the establishment. The breakfast offered a wide selection with large portions - nobody left hungry; and the coffeepot was never ending. The serving staff was pleasant, knowledgeable, and spontaneous; superseded only by the atmosphere of the eating area

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

I absolutely love this place!! This wasn't my first time there... I don't stay anywhere else when i am in cape may but the Southern Mansion. First and for most the staff is great, their kind and helpful. The hotel its self is immaculate, with beautiful rooms, Breakfast is always delicious, I always enjoy my stay there and i would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about visiting cape may. Its in a great location..Only 1 block from the mall and a few blocks from the beach. I also attended a wedding there..... My niece got married at the Southern Mansion and everything was just the way she wanted it....it was a beautiful wedding. The perfect get away, full of hospitality and relaxation. I'm very picky sometimes of the hotels i stay in and its hard to please me but I've never had 1 complaint about this place.
-liz

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Rutherford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

My husband and I were very fortunate to be married at the Southern Mansion in magical Cape May, NJ on April 17, 2010.  This review has been a long time coming.  Words cannot express how lovely we feel the Mansion is nor how wonderful, kind, organized and professional Andreea the Wedding Coordinator is.  Those close to me describe me as meticulous, particular, obsessive and demanding.  I made calls and wrote numerous emails to Andreea as well as to Denise, the B & B Manager.  Consistently, they responded promptly and answered my questions (i.e., do you think this dish is better than the other dish, which tastes better, which is the best dessert, what do you think of my flowers, etc...).  Andreea deserved a drink or two after dealing with me!  Even during unexpected occurrences, such as a change of room, cancelled and rescheduled reservations, they were on top of it all! Andreea truly made my day everything and more than what I had expected or imagined.

My guests still thank me for having invited them to my wedding, as they had such a great time.  They loved everything about it, the place, the management, and the food!  It was a great reassurance to know that on such a stressful day for any bride, Andreea took care of everything, leaving me without unnecessary worries.

I would highly recommend the Southern Mansion to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

My wife and I stay at many B&B's. This was not a good choice. Cape May is worth the trip but this inn was overpriced and in my opinion dirty. The carpets were ugly and filled with dust. When the sun shone through the glass you could almost grab the dust in your hand. Not good when you have allergies like we have.
They did give me a discount (military), but put us in a 'loft' room. Whatever you do, don't get up to go down the stairs in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. The bed was not good.
Breakfast was OK, but it took nearly 30 min to be served. Not what you expect from a B&B/Inn atmosphere.
I think the place is way more show than substance. Recommend another B&B if you have to pay this kind of money.
JB

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ChapP62208
Carneys Point, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We attended a wedding there over the weekend. My first impression while entering was I had to fight with the crowd that was doing the tour. The place was beautiful, very elegant and beautiful views. I feel the price was a bit to much for my taste. With a discount for one night of wedding ran us about 223.00 (with tax and occupancy fee). I will admit, I was given an early check in, which I was greatful for. But I don't believe they have this type of perk for just everyone. I just happened to be there at the right time and the lady was being nice. Downfall, is the complaints we recieved from other guests staying in the building while we were all there for the wedding. The Southern Mansion should know that this was one of the most important nights of our friends' lives, their complaints were ridiculous. The unfriendly receptionist lady who insisted on telling us she did not intend on opening the doors for the smokers. Ridicuouls. It was 7 or 8 at night. Also, we all had breakfast on the porch in the morning. After we order, we find out they ran out of sausage. Come on, really? You knew you had a huge amount of people coming for a wedding and you didn't get sausage. Then after telling us, we sat there for a long time, it was almost 1030 and someone had to go explain that we were still waiting for our breakfast. Check out was at 11am. Their only best option was to let us check out at 1130. Are you kidding me? Not to mentino, they brought our plates of breakfast in shifts so 3 ate, while the other 8 of us sat and waited and waited. One final flow was the fact the bride and groom's room leaked. Yes, leaked on them all night. No accomodation other than one free stay next year for their anniversary. Horrible Service.....I'll NEVER EVER go back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Redkoolayde
Clifton, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

This Victorian-furnished B&B is interesting upon arrival, but that's pretty much where the attraction stops. At check-in the desk clerk complained of being overworked and said she was ready to go on unemployment! She did not offer to get help carrying our bags, so we carried them up three flights of stairs. Once in our room, a rickety luggage stand nearly collapsed under the weight of our suitcase, and not because it was heavy. The furnishings in general are tired and unconfortable. Unlike other B&Bs we've stayed at, we never met the host. The place seemed to be on autopilot. Little things that an expensive accommodation should provide were absent. Tissues were so rough and scratchy that I retrieved my trusty box of Kleenex from the car. There was a pad of paper in the room but no pen. No free water or soda was available if you wanted some for overnight. No mention of access to internet or DVDs. The only entertainment in the room was regular TV and a well-worn copy of an Umberto Eco novel. If you read that you might have slept through breakfast since there was no alarm clock in the room. No great loss there because breakfast was greasy uninspired diner fare. On the plus side, the room was quiet, cool and appeared clean. Unfortunately, the bad here far outweighs the good. This B&B is not a good value at all. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple