“THE BEST B&B AROUND GREAT PLACE AND GREAT PEOPLE!!”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We have been going to Cape May for 13 years and back in Octber thought we would try a B&B the Southern Mansion So glad we did. Have been there three times and never once had any problems. We love all the staff very willing to make your stay happy even the night security Harry was great to talk with. We will be seeing our friends again at the Southern Mansion. The Welshans from Pa!

• Stayed: January 2011

Reviewed 14 December 2010

We have just returned from our trip this past week-end. It was our first time staying at the Southern Mansion and I was pleasantly surprised. It is one of the most charming places I have ever stayed at, really unique by its interiors and cozy atmosphere, especially for this time of the year (December). The fireplaces in the living room are such a nice feature for the cold season! The house was absolutely beautiful, and we almost felt like in an art museum! Our room was immaculate, and very spacious: 12 foot ceilings and amazing crown moldings. I have travelled a lot in Europe and I am always impressed by places that have a history and so many architectural details. One of the front desk employees was nice enough to show us some other rooms during our stay and they were all different! The complimentary morning breakfast was delicious, with a lot of items to choose from.
The location was great for this time of the year, two blocks from the Washington Mall. However in the summer, there are six blocks to the beach and there is no pool on premisses.
We enjoyed our stay very much and we'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JennyJazz_10
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was my second trip to Cape May this year, first in the summer and then off-season in November, and both times I stayed at the Southern Mansion. On both visits, I was extremely pleased with this property, and thoroughly enjoyed the unique and beautiful ambiance the Southern Mansion achieves. The service was impeccable, the breakfasts were delicious and the rooms (with nightly turn down service) both beautiful and comfortable. I think the key to staying at the Southern Mansion is you have to know what to expect - this is not a hotel with large flat screen televisions, spa style bathrooms, modern furniture and endless amenities. Also, this is not quite the small, intimate bed and breakfast where everyone seems to know everyone else. This is a very unique property, one which begs to linger in awhile, explore and to enjoy the grandeur and beauty of its architecture, romance and history. I don’t stay in the Southern Mansion (or travel to Cape May for that matter) to be coddled and pampered or waited on hand and foot. I stay here to immerse myself in the beauty of the Victorian period, with its amazing architecture, the period furniture, the grand parlor with its floor to ceiling mirrors and matching fireplaces, the intricate woodwork and crown moldings of the Superior King rooms and all the other interesting details that allow me to momentarily blanket myself in the romantic and intimate feel of that which makes Cape May such a wonderful town. When I think of Cape May, and the Southern Mansion, I am reminded of my other favorite town - Savannah, Georgia. For me, I am sure the Southern Mansion would be at home there just as well. I have stayed at other popular and well reviewed places in Cape May, and although they all were nice, I have to say, the Southern Mansion is my new spot, and I am sure I will return to this beautiful place many times in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Keikanca
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had a terrific weekend staying at the Mansion. The B&B was within walking distance to fabulous restaurants, shopping, and even took a carriage ride one evening. The staff was johnny on the spot with turndowns, information, and touring the establishment. The breakfast offered a wide selection with large portions - nobody left hungry; and the coffeepot was never ending. The serving staff was pleasant, knowledgeable, and spontaneous; superseded only by the atmosphere of the eating area

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I absolutely love this place!! This wasn't my first time there... I don't stay anywhere else when i am in cape may but the Southern Mansion. First and for most the staff is great, their kind and helpful. The hotel its self is immaculate, with beautiful rooms, Breakfast is always delicious, I always enjoy my stay there and i would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about visiting cape may. Its in a great location..Only 1 block from the mall and a few blocks from the beach. I also attended a wedding there..... My niece got married at the Southern Mansion and everything was just the way she wanted it....it was a beautiful wedding. The perfect get away, full of hospitality and relaxation. I'm very picky sometimes of the hotels i stay in and its hard to please me but I've never had 1 complaint about this place.
-liz

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2010

My husband and I were very fortunate to be married at the Southern Mansion in magical Cape May, NJ on April 17, 2010.  This review has been a long time coming.  Words cannot express how lovely we feel the Mansion is nor how wonderful, kind, organized and professional Andreea the Wedding Coordinator is.  Those close to me describe me as meticulous, particular, obsessive and demanding.  I made calls and wrote numerous emails to Andreea as well as to Denise, the B & B Manager.  Consistently, they responded promptly and answered my questions (i.e., do you think this dish is better than the other dish, which tastes better, which is the best dessert, what do you think of my flowers, etc...).  Andreea deserved a drink or two after dealing with me!  Even during unexpected occurrences, such as a change of room, cancelled and rescheduled reservations, they were on top of it all! Andreea truly made my day everything and more than what I had expected or imagined.

My guests still thank me for having invited them to my wedding, as they had such a great time.  They loved everything about it, the place, the management, and the food!  It was a great reassurance to know that on such a stressful day for any bride, Andreea took care of everything, leaving me without unnecessary worries.

I would highly recommend the Southern Mansion to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My wife and I stay at many B&B's. This was not a good choice. Cape May is worth the trip but this inn was overpriced and in my opinion dirty. The carpets were ugly and filled with dust. When the sun shone through the glass you could almost grab the dust in your hand. Not good when you have allergies like we have.
They did give me a discount (military), but put us in a 'loft' room. Whatever you do, don't get up to go down the stairs in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. The bed was not good.
Breakfast was OK, but it took nearly 30 min to be served. Not what you expect from a B&B/Inn atmosphere.
I think the place is way more show than substance. Recommend another B&B if you have to pay this kind of money.
JB