“Hospitality Galore”

Ranked #8 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Decatur, Alabama
“Hospitality Galore”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Our trip was one of nostalgia. My 82 year old mother was returning home after a very long absence and I was returning to Cape May where I had spent many summers. My wish was for the trip to be fun, yet calm for my mother. I got my wish!!! From the MOMENT I made the reservations with McKinley. walked to the front door until we drove away, we experienced the meaning of warm and friendly hospitality. The Gingerbread House is located 1 block from the beach and a few blocks from the shops & restaurants of the Washington Street Mall. The outside of the inn is landscaped beautifully and well maintained; the inside is furnished with Victorian elegance and relaxing. Our room and bathroom were comfortable and very clean. Joan is very knowledgeable about the Cape May area and you can count on her recommendations for food and activities. Fred takes well-deserved pride in his meticulous restoration of the house. If we ever return to the area, we know we will be enthusiastically and warmly welcomed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gingerbread House for our anniversary in December 2012, and again in June 2013 for no special occasion other than a desire to return to this lovely B&B in our favorite seaside escape-- Cape May, NJ. Fred and Joan, the owners, along with the sweet McKinley, go to great lengths to make their guests feel at home. Their warm hospitality adds to the charm of this fabulously decorated and spotlessly maintained house and property. Joan's breakfasts are delectable, as are the little treats she has available throughout the day. The antiques, flowers, and artwork are exquisite, and cozy front porch is a summertime delight. The Gingerbread House is now officially our "home away from home" whenever we are in Cape May. Can't wait to go back again!

Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Fred and Joan's to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Everything about our stay at the Gingerbread House was exceptional, from the warm hospitality of the hosts, to the amazing breakfasts and treats, to the comfortable, charming and impeccably maintained rooms and common areas. We can't recommend Gingerbread House strongly enough and would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely!
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and I spent our one year anniversary in Cape May at the beautiful Gingerbread House. It was our first experience at a bed and breakfest and thanks to Joan, Fred, and Mckinnley we would definitely go again. Their hospitality was first class, the flowerbeds were kept to perfection, and inside the house was adorned with antiques and flowers. Fred does an amazing job keeping the woodwork in beautiful condition and the rooms were very clean. They are all very helpful in suggesting things to see and recommending restuarants. If you travel to Cape May I highly suggest staying at the lovely Gingerbread House.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I love the Gingerbread House! My boyfriend and I went down to Cape May at the end of May. Our room was very lovely and well maintained. I only interacted with Fred briefly but his wife, Jean and the other innkeeper, McKinsey were very friendly and helpful about suggesting activities and recommending restaurants. This B&B is located in the historic district which means it was surrounded by many other beautiful Victorian era homes. We were about a block north of the beach and about 2 blocks south of a tons of restaurants and shops at Washington St. Mall and the area. I know I will be coming back one day so I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My partner and I decided very last minute to head down to Cape May for our one year anniversary. Having never been before (and it being the eleventh hour), we were unsure of what sort of accommodations we should expect or would even be available. The Gingerbread House was an absolute Godsend! We could never have imagined or predicted just how wonderful and warm Joan, Fred and the entire Gingerbread family would be to us. The room was immaculate (deluxe room on the second floor) and included every amenity you could ever want – including beach towels and beach chairs! Breakfasts were a delight (and delicious!). Joan and Fred truly bent over backwards to ensure every part of our stay was picture perfect – and it was! We can't wait to come back to Cape May and stay at the Gingerbread House. We cannot recommend this bed and breakfast enough. Thanks, Joan and Fred!

Room Tip: We had the deluxe room at the top of the stairs (second floor) and found it to be rather spacious an...
Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I just returned from Cape May and for the second year we stayed at the Gingerbread House. The location is perfect for getting around town. We parked our car when we arrived and didn't move it until the day we left. You can walk/bike ride just about everywhere in Cape May. The inn keepers Joan, Fred, and McKinnley are the best! They make you feel as welcome as if it were your own house. The home cooked breakfast is incredible! We looked forward to it every morning and still talk about our favorite dishes. The inn is kept clean and cozy, not to mention decorated to perfection. I highly recommend staying at the Gingerbread House when going to Cape May. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple