“Lucked into the Turret Room” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Red Cottage

The Red Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Red Cottage
Philadelphia
“Lucked into the Turret Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

My family and I booked a room at an affiliated hotel online that was in fact overbooked. The owners not only honored our deal but bumped us up to the Inn at 22 Jackson St's Turret Room. They usually don't allow children but were empty midweek in early summer. The turret room is in fact the whole 3rd floor, including 2 bedrooms (with a king in one and a queen in the other), a living room, and a roof deck. Plenty of space to put the kids to bed early and hang out and have some drinks. Plus, through it's affiliation to Congress Hall we got to use the pool and beach services. That meant no need to pack towels and beach chairs, which are provided. Altogether it was a great experience. I'm not sure it would have been possible though midsummer or in a better economy. We truly lucked out. But I would recommend the Congress Hall hotel group (which includes the Star Inn and Virginia Hotel) to anyone.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hattonized

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

My husband and I were able to get a one night stay (on a Saturday night, how rare) at the Inn at 22 Jackson this past weekend. At $300 a night, the room price felt like a lot to me at first, but it was definitely worth the price. The Inn itself is beautifully kept -- Victorian, but not overloaded with knick-knacks like some B&Bs tend to be. We stayed in the Holly suite, which has a really nice sized bedroom, sitting room and bathroom. The room was clean and bright and there was plenty of space and a great bed - the only complaint I have is of the shower - seriously the smallest I have ever seen. But that didn't ruin our stay at all because of all the other wonderful offerings.

Breakfast was delicious - cinnamon bread french toast with fresh fruit, coffee cake and sausages (and plenty to go around). We ate on the porch and relaxed, and then took a ride on the complimentary bikes.

We also took advantage of the happy hour across the street at the Virginia (a very lovely historic hotel) and had complimentary wine and a cheese plate. We loved the beach service -- umbrellas, towels and chairs, and a nice young man who will set everything up for you.

The complimentary valet and the outdoor shower that you can use even after you check out were also a huge bonus. All the extras made it feel well worth the price, and our mini-vacation was excellent.

• Liked — the great location and all the extras
  • Disliked — tiny shower
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmurphy
modernphoenixv2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2008

I just got back from another visit to the Inn at 22 Jackson Street and once again, we had a wonderful time! My wife, my friend John and I all stayed in the Turret Suite and we really appreciated all the space and the wonderful views. The suite encompasses the entire third-floor of the house and it includes two bedrooms, a sitting room with a wet bar, a front sitting room with a small balcony over Jackson Street and another large balcony in the back of the house.

There's a fireplace in the main sitting room, along with a VCR and DVD player hooked up to the TV. On the bookshelf are a number of books from all different genres, board games, a puzzle and even some movies. The beds in each room are very good and have four, big fluffy pillows. They're also covered with down comforters that are super-comfortable. In the bathroom, there are fancy soaps with imported shampoo and conditioner that smell wonderful. It's the little things like that, that make the Inn at 22 Jackson such a special place.

Breakfast was really good and made at the inn by a substitute innkeeper (the regular innkeeper is on vacation). We had blueberry pancakes yesterday and frittatas this morning. There were also pastries and a big bowl of cut fruit, along with coffee and two kinds of juice. I had no problem connecting to the internet all weekend, nor did my friend John. We both had our laptops with us.

My only complaint would be that the house needs to be scraped and repainted, because the paint is chipping off in many place. It's a shame too, because the Inn at 22 Jackson is one of the most beautiful buildings in Cape May. I am sure that is in the works, though, considering it is owned by the same people who own Congress Hall and the Virginia Hotel.

This is our second visit to the Inn and we will gladly return again. The people are friendly, the house is gorgeous and the location is perfect!

• Liked — The location is incredible and the amenities are wonderful. The house itself is gorgeous!
  • Disliked — Nothing, we had a great time!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank modernphoenixv2
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

My husband & I have been visiting Cape May since 1974. We have been staying at B & B's every time we visit the area. The Inn at 22 Jackson street was next on our list since the location was ideal for walking to the beach, shopping and dining.
We stayed in the Turret which we found to be a very spacious. 2 bedrooms, living room with bar, fridge, microwave, fireplace. There were two porches, the front of the inn had a small area to go out onto and the back had a larger, 4+ to relax.
What I found disappointing was the bathroom. The claw foot tub was also a shower which was very small and made it difficult and awkward to shower in, not to mention you couldn't completely close the shower curtain and the floor got wet.
In comparing the numerous B & B's we have stayed in over the last decade plus, we found that what one can offer in accomadations, it can also lack.
Everyone bases their opinions and judgements on a multitude of reasons....location, room size, bathroom features...tub, shower. jacuzzi, comfortable bed, breakfast, decor, friendliness of innkeeper, price, so on, so on. The Inn at 22 Jackson was nice.... however we found it not the best in our comparisons with the others.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DBee54

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2007

Great location but the cottage itself was very tired and really in need of renovation. The carpets were threadbare, dirty and had holes in them; the floor showing around the edges of the carpets was very dirty. The main bathroom had many cracked tiles and evidence of where old fixtures had fallen off the wall but not been replaced. The towels were small but had been through the wash many many times and were hard. First bedroom was tiny tiny, the bed was essentially wall to wall. Second bedroom slightly better size but the en suite bathroom facilty was so small that we had to throw the clothes outside the bathroom as literally there was no room even to put discarded clothes. None of the beds were queens both were only doubles. Flat screen TV in each room which worked well enough, but few channels available. We had a fabulous weekend, but mark that one to our friends who are so much fun and the great location, no credit to the cottage itself. I guess the owners attitude is if you have a prime location, why bother? Would not stay here again, nor recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
north carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2007

well if you're planning on staying here don't. i also stayed in the holly suite. everything that i just read about it is true. the inn owners told us before we rented that there was internet service and that no children were allowed. well guess what, a couple with 3 kids under 4 were staying there and they loved to play. not a big problem but the internet service was somewhere between no existant and intermittant. i have on a normal day an hour or so of work to do on the internet with a vpn connection. this turned into 4 or 5 hours because of the connection. i couldn't connect from my room so i had to go to the front porch. not much better but i did get connected. they told me i could go across the street. i didn't ask if it was ok to go there at 4 am in my boxer shorts when i get a call! i wouldn't stay here again if it was free!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — being there
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank badhabit_wb
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2007

Well, I have been to Cape May many times, however this was a first for my fiance. I decided to book us in for a weekend at the Inn at 22 Jackson. Bluntly, never again will I do that. The check in (across the street at the Virginia Hotel) seemed smooth, until we were told that the Inn Keepers would not be present!?! Why keep the B&B open at all, and why not tell me when I was booking the reservation?? The whole experience is kind of ruined after that. If I wanted to stay in a hotel, I would have, but here's a thought, having a local Inn keeper around at a B&B is the whole point. With many of the off season places closed for the winter, thank God I have been to Cape May before, at least I could navigate us around and provide some history to my fiance. As far as the room was concerned, we stayed in the Holly Suite. The room itself appeared nice at first glance, but a few hours in and the overall disappointment sent in. What appears to be a marvelous King size bed is relly two twins slid together, with a terrible hump down the middle. Next, the ceiling fan in the bedroom rocked and "knocked" all night, making a quiet time sleeping all but impossible. Next, the bathroom had a shower stall that was literally 3 feet by 3 feet, I am an average size person and I could barely turn around without rubbing up against the walls or curtain. The Victorian design is what Cape May is all about, but the old world sink had faucets whose downspouts barely cleared the lip of the basin making simple hand washing a difficult task, and even the toilet had a problem with its flushing mechanism. To top it all off, we were in our room for about an hour and it was very warm. The ditgital thermostat registered 76F, so we lowered the temp to a comfortable 68F only to have an employee from the Virginia hotel come by and ask us to raise the temperature in our room because our thermostat controlled the temperature for the whole floor and another guest was cold?!?! The Inn at 22 Jackson aside, Cape May was lovely as usual, and we discovered numerous other Inns we'll be trying in the future...My advise, spend your money somewhere other than the Inn at 22 Jackson, while enjoying Cape May.

• Disliked — The fact that there were no Inn Keepers and the overall room issues.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple