“Cape May at it's Best”

Ranked #19 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Cape May at it's Best”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have travelled several times to Cape May and have stayed at several area B&B's as well as some hotels during the summer and fall season's but this was the first time I stayed at the Mooring and I was so sad to leave at the end of the week! The place was incredibly clean throughout and I for one loved the fact that it was decorated in a lovely victorian theme but comfortable and warm, not dark and stuffy like some of the other places I have stayed. We stayed in Room #12 and it was spacious and comfortable - the bed was firm and comfortable and the room offered ample privacy sometimes lacking in a B&B. Having your own parking spot is great so you can come and go without the hassle of worrying about parking. The location is excellent so if you prefer to park and walk to all, you can do that as well. The breakfasts were lovely and convenient. Ice tea and snacks in the afternoon was a nice touch as were the clean beach towels each day and the outdoor showers so you can extend your final day at the beach.

The part that really made the place were the innkeepers. Leslie and Vince really have the patience of saints and go out of their way to make you feel like part of the family. Leslie patiently answered all my little questions prior to arrival and went the extra mile to set up a dvd player for our room when my husband inquired if it had one. Vince is like "Cape May Google" on steroids. - he has the skinny on everything and every place in the area and will tell you straight. Trust me - if Vince tells you to go somewhere - go - you will not be disappointed! He has the most uncanny sense of showing up just when you need him - it was quite incredible. They made everything so easy with directions, information and advice.

Most of all - I think the place was very good value for the money, which is what I am all about - it was not the cheapest place to stay but for the money they offered a quality across the board that was equal or better to much more expensive places in town.

If anything can be improved I would consider possibly upgrading the 24 hour coffee station and ice situation. While filling up ice trays in the freezer of the communal refrigerator did bring me back to my childhood memories and was in some ways charming, there were a couple of times I wished there was a modern ice maker. An upgraded fridge with an ice maker would solve that problem. Also, the tv was a modern flatscreen but a little on the small side, though we considered that might have been purposeful to fit in with the decor. The air conditioner was a little noisy as well but worked effectively and we had a week of days from 90-100 degrees!

We will look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
JDW8456
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The Mooring has all the essentials for a great stay in Cape May: on-site parking, simple but elegant rooms tastefully furnished in a semi - Victorian motif, personal seating in the dining room for breakfast that allows for privacy or communing, and very tentative hosts.

The innkeepers provide a lovingly clean guest home and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. They serve a wide range of in seasonal fresh fruit and deliciously enhanced yogurt as a continental breakfast to go along with the regular breakfast staples with The Mooring twists added.

Their front rooms provide the best of two worlds. You can use the air conditioner for comfortable sleeping in the heat of the summer or let the ocean breezes freshen your room while you relax on your semi-private porch from the long day on the beach. 4 o'clock high tea allows Leslie, to show off her talents when it comes to dessert and is not to be missed.

Vince has done an exceptional job upgrading the front room bathrooms, doing the work himself, to bring them into the 21st century while keeping with the original decor. Nice work, Vince!!!

So if you want a taste of how visiting Cape May was way back when, I highly recommend booking a room at The Mooring, Cape May's original Guest House.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We went for just one night over the Memorial Day weekend and had a very pleasant stay there. Breakfast looked nice although we just had a cup of coffee. Vince really went above and beyond giving us directions of free parking. Will def recommand it.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was our second visit to the mooring and couldn't have asked for a better experience! The inn keepers are fantastic and always willing to lend a hand, the location can't be beat and the rooms are immaculate. Bonus-The breakfast was delicious! My husband had praline-crunch french toast while i enjoyed their texan omelet. We loved our quiet little retreat in room #2 and look forward to spending many more anniversaries there!

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Mine and my husbands first time in Cape May, NJ. Staying at The Mooring definintely made our stay the best weekend getaway. The location of the Mooring is literally a block away from the clean beaches of Cape May. This was also our first time at a bed & breakfast, and to be honest, I was a bit skeptic on what to expect. I was fearing a musty smelling, dusty Victorian with not so great food... let me tell you-this place is NONE of that!

What impacted my decision to stay here was definitely the previous reviews and people, everyone has great things to say when their expectations are exceeded. The Mooring is conveniently located to the beaches, the outdoor mall, and all the shops and beautiful houses. My husband and I walked or biked everywhere during our extended weekend. There were even bike racks to lock our bikes we rented over night. The Mooring is beautiful, exceptionally clean. Our room was on the 3rd floor and had a wonderful breeze during the night. The room smelt of clean laundry and was imaculate and beautifully decorated with a Parisian theme.

The breakfast in the morning was better than any cafe or diner. It was so good that we didnt even have a crumb left. They give you a choice of sweet or salty as breakfast choice, fruit, and the Greek yogurt with the nuts, fruit, and honey was our favorite. Everything was so filling and tea time and cookies were a nice delight in the afternoon.

I honestly have not a single complaint. Its been quite a delight and most thanks to Vince (very knowledgable of the area-take his advice! And hes very happy to help), Emily & Michael!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank PAydin
Robbinsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just spent another glorious weekend in Cape May at the Mooring!! It is the best B&B in Cape May if you want extreme hospitality, gourmet breakfasts and high tea, authentic Victorian charm, comfy cozy rooms artfully decorated and spotlessly clean, outdoor showers, bike racks, parking, AC and to be treated like a king and/or queen for your stay and welcome you like losng lost family. If all that turns you off, then try somewhere else and pay way more $$$ for much less!! Thanks again to Vince and Leslie...welcome summer.

Room Tip: I love Room #1 but all are just awesome.
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Yes Cape May is a delightful getaway, but what made it even more delightful was our stay at the Mooring B&B. We have stayed in Cape May several times throughout the years. Each time has been very enjoyable but there was something special about this most recent visit.Our host and hostess, Leslie and Vince were very gracious. They made us feel right at home. Our accomodations were excellent. The B&B is spotless and so appealing to the eye. The decor is lovely and each morning the breakfast was delicious. Vince was more than happy to offer other options for breakfast if we so desired. The proximity to the beach is perfect. It is located on a quiet street with little traffic. They were more than happy to suggest some intersting things that we might want to do during the day. I know that when we do choose to visit Cape May again we would not stay anywhere else.