“Great Stay!”

Ranked #4 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Cranford, New Jersey
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was our first visit to the Queen Victoria and we will definitely be back! The staff was extremely nice...especially Heidi! The location is excellent for the beach and shopping. The room was cozy and very clean. We have told all of our friends and family and will definitely return soon!

Room Tip: Room with a balcony is worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After our regular B&B just down the street closed its main building, hubby and I were forced to find a new place to stay. (We REALLY loved our old B&B - so this was going to be tough.)

After looking at reviews, I started following The Queen Victoria on Facebook for the future. With no plans to go away this summer (I'm 8 months pregnant) on a whim I booked a one-night stay in the Princess Louise room after The Queen Victoria posted to Facebook about a rare, one-night Saturday availability that just opened up. Perfect way for us to try someplace new, without too much of a commitment.

Every B&B does things slightly differently and it's tough to not get into, "Oh, well the *other* place does it this way...."

Strengths of The Queen Victoria, compared to our previous stays elsewhere:

1) Afternoon tea. Substantial, varied. Fruit, cucumber dip and crackers, iced tea. Perfect!

2) Quiet. I don't know how or why, but we never noticed other guests in our building. It made for a quiet experience, which we like.

3) The bathroom. Some of the other places we've stayed in Cape May (hotels and our favorite B&B)...well, it at least crosses your mind to maybe keep your socks on in the room, even though you know it's clean things sometimes show their age. I did not feel this way here.

4) Breakfast. I thought I was going to miss sitting on a porch at an assigned time, with breakfast served to me. I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed the self-serve buffet style. In our building (House of Royals) the parlor is set up with individual tables, so hubby and I didn't have to sit with other people at a common table. (I know others love this style, we don't.) The stuffed French toast souffle was really good. We had breakfast at 8:30 and were surprised that we were the only ones downstairs. Also, the heat was HORRIBLE - it was wonderful to have breakfast indoors!

5) Customer service. This was the first place we've stayed that didn't have on-site parking or valet parking, so I was nervous. I called two weeks before our stay and spoke with the innkeeper (Doug) who really took his time in answering my questions. I did not feel rushed or like a nuisance. Also, the courtesy call the day before check-in (received a voicemail - if we need anything before check in, just let them know) was a nice touch. After we checked out, we left our bag in the parlor of our building so we could enjoy Cape May a little more before going home. We thought it was very nice that they offered this.

Our room was comfortable and cool, no small feat for a 100 degree day. We found the main building to be hot and we were glad we didn't stay there. We surmised that they keep all the doors and windows open because, since it's the main building, there's a lot of people coming and going all the time and it probably wouldn't stay cool with A/C anyway.

No on-site parking made me nervous. Parking at the church immediately behind The Queen Victoria is convenient and you can park there for a $10/day donation - but, you can't park there on Sunday mornings. So at 11:00 on Saturday night we were driving around looking for free street parking, which was not as easy as I thought it would be.

Overall, it was a great experience and we are glad we stayed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cristin F
Binghamton, NY
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our fifth visit and the service and accommodations still continue to impress us! Wonderfully appointed rooms, excellent staff, free bicycles, beach chairs, and towels, outside showers, hot water tap and commercial Keurig coffee makers in the common areas, free bottled water, and, of course, the daily breakfast and afternoon tea.

Morning breakfast at the big table in the Queen Victoria building was a treat as usual. Egg casseroles, sausages, freshly baked breads and muffins, Wolferman's English muffins, fresh fruit, fresh juices, and gallons of coffee (poured by Doug, our cheerful innkeeper). Lots of good conversation amongst the guests to start the day.

Since we normally do not spend much time in our room, we decided this time to choose a small room. The Charles Dickens room is on the second floor of the main Queen Victoria building. Nicely appointed as any other room, but, well ... it's tiny. Good for average size and smaller folks. Still, had all the amenities -- private bath, AC, DVD/CD player, cable TV, safe, refrigerator, robes, and turn down service with chocolates. Sweet!

Union, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 July 2012

For my husband and I, this was our first experience at a B&B, and I'm scared to say that I may not stay at a hotel ever again.
The feeling of home is infused in this inn, along with the warmth and friendliness of the guests who stayed there with us. The innkeepers (especially Anna Marie) and staff were quite accommodating with our late check-in and very early departure. Since we love photography, Anna Maria advised us of the top spots that we had to go to get the most picturesque view of Cape May. She was so nice to steer us clear of the commotion of Sunset Beach for our sunset shots, and told us to head to the cove for a beautiful view which included the lighthouse. The cove was a short bike ride away.
Breakfast was delightful and the afternoon tea/snack just topped off our experience each day. Unfortunate for us, our trip was cut short due to a family emergency back home, so we missed breakfast and our last day of the Cape. The next morning I woke up craving quiche and coconut bread and reminisced on how delicious everything had been. Loved the Queen Victoria and would stay there time and time again!! Next time, I'll bring my mom... =)

Room Tip: The higher you get the hotter it is. But it's always a relief to walk into your air-conditioned...
1 Thank lilcherub44
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I were given a gift certificate to the Queen Victoria from our daughter and her husband as a gift when they got married. That was four years ago and we have returned every year for our romantic weekend! The innkeepers, Anna Marie and Doug, are very warm and welcoming as are the entire staff. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Each morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast on the porch of Prince Albert Hall (which is the building we stayed in) and the afternoon tea was the perfect "little something" after a day on the beach. We have always had such wonderful food that this year we bought the cookbook. The Queen Victoria is perfectly located between the beach and Washington Street Mall so no need to drive once you park your car. Anna Marie and Doug have great suggestions for dinners and we are working our way through their list. So far Tisha's, Union Park and Mad Batter are our top picks but there are so many great restaurants that you really can't go wrong! We highly recommend The Queen Victoria and look forward to our next visit.

1 Thank Gail K
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Queen Victoria in Cape May. The accommodations were clean, well maintained and very comfortable. The Inn, which is actually four main buildings, is perfectly located about one block from the beach and a block and a half to the Washington Street shops and restaurants. We parked our car and never moved it during our three night stay. Our room, the Princess Victoria, was located on the second floor of the House of Royals building, across the street from the main building. This room also had a private balcony we enjoyed that even afforded a view of the ocean (though be it a block away).

The breakfasts were delicious and abundant. The afternoon tea was also a treat. We were impressed by the hospitality of the Innkeepers and their staff and we appreciated their attention to detail. We were given guidance for the local restaurants (we really enjoyed Tisha’s). Beach chairs and beach towels were provided and well maintained bicycles were also available for our use. When we came back to the inn in the evening, there was always small treats provided in the beverage room of our building, as well as complimentary bottled water, soda, juice, tea and coffee (which was always available).

Though we had visited Cape May in the past, we had only stayed in Stone Harbor/Avolon and Ocean City as part of family vacations. We came to Cape May to celebrate our wedding anniversary and selected the Queen Victoria based on their website and feedback from previous guests. We were not disappointed and really enjoyed our stay.

2 Thank Jim M
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Had the wonderful opportunity to spend a couple of days here and cannot wait to go back! The room, Hampton Court, was absolutely beautful - complete with gas fireplace and antique furniture! The food each morning was the most delicious I've ever tasted (you can purchase their cookbook!) and was only made better by Anna Marie's (she and her husband, Doug, are the innkeepers) warm spirit! Everyone with whom we came into contact was just so nice....the place is gorgeous and couldn't be in a better spot - the heart of Cape May. Whether it's a special occasion or just a girls getaway, you will want to put the Queen Victoria on your list!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends