“Another Great stay at the Queen”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 December 2013

After staying in many other B&Bs in Cape May we came across Queen Victoria about nine years ago and wouldn't think I'm going anywhere else.itswonderful to be there and the way you're treated like a family member rather than just a guest Doug and Annamarie are the nicest people you will ever meet

• Stayed: November 2013
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

With this user name I'm not quite sure who you are, but I really appreciate you taking the time to post this lovely review. I'm so pleased that after trying several other inns in Cape May you decided that The Queen Victoria was the place to call home for all of these years. Thanks so much for your loyal patronage of The Queen Victoria. I'm sure you know how much we appreciate it.

Merry Christmas to you!

There are newer reviews for The Queen Victoria

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was our first stay at a bed and breakfast in Cape May. We stayed in the Hampton Court suite in Prince Albert Hall. It was recommended by a friend. We were not disappointed. The suite was beautiful. The gas fireplace was warm and cozy. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. It was decorated for the holidays in true Victorian style. My husband especially liked their special blend coffee. Maria was very helpful and made dinner reservations for us. We especially liked how everything was so close. We could walk to shops, restaurants, even church. We enjoyed the trolley ride of the Christmas lights and the visit to the Emlen Physic (sp.) mansion. What a lovely treat for us to begin the holiday season!

Room Tip: The Hampton Court suite was separated from the rest of the house which was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this beautiful review Pat. I'm glad your friend inspired you to stay with us and that his advice turned out so well for you. I really love the Hampton Court suite for its rich and elegant wall coverings and beautiful antique furniture. I'm pretty fond of our new custom Queen Victoria Blend of coffee too, so we have a lot in common. We're very fortunate to be so ideally situated in the heart of beautiful Cape May. Like you, most of our guests park their cars when they arrive and never need or use them during their entire visit. Thank you for making The Queen Victoria your home in Cape May this Thanksgiving. It really is the perfect way to kick off the Christmas season.

Thanks,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The Queen Victoria the first weekend of December 2013. If I wasn't in the Christmas spirit prior to my visit, I definitely was after a wonderful weekend with Doug and Anna Marie. They treat everyone like family. They make sure they know everyone's name. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms are very comfortable. Looking forward to seeing them again next year!

Donna Harding

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for this wonderful review Donna. It was so nice to meet you and Roger and share our Christmas Cheer with you. I'm glad it put you into the Christmas spirit. Cape May is wonderful every day of the year, but Christmas is truly special. I know that we'll be seeing you again in a few months, so until then Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and good health to you both.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our first stay at a B & B in Cape May and The Queen Victoria did not disappoint, in fact..., it far exceeded our expectations ~ a top notch B & B...! We loved our accomodations in the Gilbert & Sullivan room with the cozy gas fireplace in the living room, it had a seperate bedroom with antique brass bed, and antique oak dresser, it was so quaint, we loved coming back to our room every evening and sitting by the cozy fireplace...! The Queen Victoria was decorated for Christmas with many beautiful Christmas trees in each of the houses, and we were even able to purchase one of the Inn's unique Winter Rose Poinsettia's to bring home with us, thanks Anna Marie for the tip on how to water them with "ice cubes"...! We enjoyed the delicious homemade breakfast everyday and it was a pleasure to have the owners/innkeepers serving our coffee and mingling and chatting with the guests every morning, Doug & Anna Marie are really very friendly and easy going couple...! Afternoon "tea time" was always fun to look forward to everyday too, it was nice getting to sample 2 different teas of the day, plus their delicious sweets and savories and fun to chat with the other guests, and even Doug & Anna Marie would join afternoon "tea-time", so we could chat with them again, such a fun place to visit, for sure...! We enjoyed doing some Christmas shopping on the Washingtoon Street Mall, which is just a short walk from The Queen Victoria, we took the Holiday Lights Trolley tour one evening and enjoyed seeing all the historic B & B's and homes all decked out with their holiday lights, we even sang Christmas carol's while touring on the trolley, that was a fun experience. We also toured the Emlen Physick Estate & Carriage House which also was decorated beautifully for the holidays...! We did some antiquing in the area, which is something we always enjoy to do also...! By far, this was a very relaxing vacation for us and we can't wait to plan our next little mini get-away at The Queen Victoria...!!! Doug & Anna Marie are the best host & hostess and their entire staff were very friendly and willing to help in any way possible with the guests questions for things to do in area, places to eat, etc...! Doug & Anna Marie thought of every detail that their guests may need during their stay, right down to leaving a plastic bag in our room for their guests to bring home the Inn's wonderful smelling Bayberry soap ~ loved it, and you can even buy it down in their gift shop too...!! We had a absolutely wonderful time and we would totally recommend to everyone to stay at The Queen Victoria, you will be glad you did, just as much as we enjoyed our stay...! We can't wait to plan our next trip to The Queen Victoria in quaint and beautiful Cape May, NJ...!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gilbert & Sullivan room, and it was very roomy with a seperate living room area...
1  Thank Elmer - Linda D
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Wow! That is some review. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria and Cape May so much. It sounds like you really "did it all" and fully experienced Cape May at Christmas. All of that in only 2 days! Cape May is such a wonderful little village all the time, but Christmas is especially wonderful/magical here.

It was really a pleasure getting to meet you both and spend some time getting to know you. I hope that we'll have an opportunity for a repeat performance soon! You guys live so close, you can sneak back down to Cape May easily.

I hope you enjoy that poinsettia. The ice cube trick really is a great one for keeping them healthy and watered just right.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We visited for our 25th anniversary. The rooms were clean and very comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Doug and Anna Marie are outgoing and make you very comfortable. Cape May is a great place to visit. We look forward to the opportunity to visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post this review Joe. I'm happy that your 25th anniversary celebration at The Queen Victoria was a great one for you. We always love to help our guests celebrate their special occasions. Thank you for entrusting us with yours!

I hope you'll have an opportunity to visit with us again sometime soon. Maybe a birthday next time!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The location of the B&B was a block from ocean and trolley, not to mention all the great restaurants! The room, Kew Gardens, was more than I expected. It was ground floor with two chairs and table outside the door. There was a couch and table next to the fireplace,a TV over the fireplace, and a nice queen bed,plus an additional seating area with another couch and easy chair. There was a fridge in room . The small touches like lip balm, bath salts for the whirlpool tub, and turndown added to the luxury. Breakfast was wonderful, especially the eggs with three cheeses! The high tea was a great time to meet other people and indulge in chocolate cake and savory tastes.
We liked it so much we booked next year! This, from a travel agent, is high praise! There is no pool, but none is needed.

Room Tip: Great rooms on every floor. In winter, I prefer a fireplace. I also like first floor. If you have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for this wonderful review Paula. It was truly a pleasure to meet you last weekend and show you around the inn. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria so much. I'm glad that you appreciated all our little special touches. Such praise from a travel agent (and former hotel owner) is high praise, indeed. Of course, the reservation that you made for next year means more to us than any review ever could. By the way, the "Eggs with Three Cheeses" is my personal favorite too!

Wishing you a wonderful year until we see you next time!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for our Thanksgiving trip so that we could see the Holiday lights. It was our first time at Queen Victoria. We booked in the early summer for our trip and found that we didn't even get first pick of rooms, so 'd recommend booking early. I booked online and was a little confused because I saw something on the website that said "Thanksgiving package", so I called up and the woman seemed a little confused and said there was no Thanksgiving package.

I was concerned about getting an early reservation for Thanksgiving dinner since I've made the mistake of thinking I can wait until October before making reservations for Thanksgiving at other places and it seemed like restaurants book up quickly. I was told that there would be dinner recommendations sent to me in late October and I was afraid of waiting that long. I did my own research and found the Ebbitt Room to have good reviews for Thanksgiving.

When I did receive the e-mail, I explained I made reservations for the Ebbit Room and asked if them if they had any particular favorite restaurants, maybe ones their guests came back with positive reviews for in the past and I was told they had complete confidence in all of the ones they listed in their e-mail and that Ebbitt Room was most expensive. That disappointed me a little since I was looking for a little more direction.

We left Thanksgiving morning for our trip and there was no traffic getting there so had no troubles there. Our room was ready immediately, at 12pm. I had received a phone call the day before asking when we would be coming in because they wanted to send their staff home for the holiday and they would be there I think until 2 or 3.

We had the Hampton Court room. It had a gas fireplace and whirlpool. The fireplace gets the room really hot and I had to open the window a few times afterward. Overall the room was very nice and nicely decorated. The only complaints I would have (which really can't be avoided) are the noise - I think from the heater and the water pressure. The noises kept me up a bit at night, but since the house is old I guess it happens. The water pressure was terrible in the shower and made washing my hair a little difficult.

There were Thanksgiving h'orderves in the afternoon which were delicious and that gave us the opportunity to meet our hosts, who wonder great to talk to. We had dinner at the Ebbitt Room (which was very nice) and then called it a night early. The next day we spent shopping and going to the zoo. Breakfast was delicious and afternoon tea was nice, but crowded. We did the Christmas Ghost tour which would have been a lot nicer if it wasn't for the drunk guy sitting in front of us. That's also when we saw how hard it was finding parking around there, even when it's not the summer. I can't even imagine finding parking in the summer, it must be really hard.

The last day of breakfast was the most delicious and crowded. There are three houses that serve breakfast and a family of four was having a hard time finding a place for all of them to sit. The breads they had were really delicious though and I even got to take some home!

All in all, a great stay in Cape May and would definitely return. The owners and real Victorian decor are what really makes this place stand out. I can't believe this place is only #3 on Trip Advisor.

One final note, even though it was too cold for the beach this place was one short block from the water. Most of the places around there were shutdown in November but I think the location would be ideal in the summer. I'd highly recommend a room with a parking spot though in the summer!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thanks for the nice review Jennifer. I'm so glad that your Thanksgiving trip to The Queen Victoria was a great one. Thanksgiving is a wonderful and beautiful time to visit Cape May, which explains why we already had so many bookings when you reserved your room. Many of our guests return every year, making us their home for the holiday. I'm sorry about the confusion with the "Package" you saw on our website (I'll have to clean that up). We've found that with all the special menus that restaurants have for Thanksgiving, the package concept didn't work very well. I understand your feelings about the feedback we gave you regarding the Ebbitt room, but we really don't recommend any restaurants that we don't feel are wonderful. I'm sure you saw our "Favorite" star listed next to their name on the restaurant list, making them one of our particular favorites (I took my wife there for our anniversary this year). I'm guessing that we also listed 4-5 other restaurants, all of which are equally good. You would have loved any one of them. We are really spoiled when it comes to great restaurants in Cape May.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the food we served at breakfast, tea, and the special reception that we hosted on Thanksgiving. We always try to make sure there is enough variety for everyone's personal preferences.

I wish you had said something about the shower pressure to us while you were here, so we could have addressed it right away and eliminated an irritant for you. The building itself has wonderful pressure, but the little filter screens inside the shower head can trap some sediments and reduce the pressure.

I can certainly understand your thoughts about parking, but I can honestly say it has never taken me longer than 5 minutes to find a parking spot in the 10 years my wife and I have owned the inn. During the summer season, when the meters are turned on, most of our guests park a block to two from the inn in the residential streets. Since almost everything is walking distance to the inn, they rarely use their cars during their stay. What a joy ... to be car free for a few days!