“Second Time Around was Just as Good”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #3 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
North Arlington, New Jersey
“Second Time Around was Just as Good”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I always try to stay at different B&B's in Cape May, but for our anniversary this year, we felt we HAD to return to the Queen Victoria. Yet again, it did not disappoint. As before, the owners know how to treat their guests, welcoming us into their home, and making sure every possible need is taken care of. The breakfasts yet again were delicious, the room (we stayed in Covent Garden, although we were hardly in it!) was beautifully decorated and restored, and the warmth of the family was everywhere. A hard working staff was always there to assist as well.

Hopefully we will return again to the Queen Victoria soon. Besides from the love they have obviously put into their property, the owners and staff just have that instinct when it comes to welcoming guests. (They actually remembered us from a year ago!) Thank you for making another anniversary a memorable one!

Room Tip: We stayed in Covent Garden, a room labeled as a suite with it's own private entrance. Rooms lik...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thanks so much for returning to The Queen Victoria to celebrate your anniversary. It says a lot based upon your fondness of exploring different inns all the time. I'm so glad that you felt so welcome and comfortable during both your stays with us. My wife and I, and our entire staff, truly want every guest to have a wonderful time and love their visit to both The Queen Victoria and Cape May. I'm also glad that you enjoyed our food so much.

I hope that you WILL be returning for another visit to The Queen Victoria soon. Remember, we're not just for anniversaries any more!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Riverdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The Queen Victoria is a beautiful Inn with a perfect location. A 2 minute walk in any direction gets you shops, restaurants, entertainment and beaches.

We stayed in Brighton and had a whole pantry and sitting area to ourselves (shared with one other room but they didn't use it). The fridge was always stocked with complimentary bottled water and various sodas and had plenty of space for storage. There was a Keurig brewer with various types of coffees and teas which was nice. We had a separate entrance shared with the other second floor room. Q. V. Inn has four buildings and the Queen's Cottage is the only one in which only guests staying in that building can access it which made it all the more private. If you want peace and quiet, stay in Queen's Cottage. The only drawback I saw on Brighton is the fact that the bathroom is outside the room. You must constantly go back and forth between room and bathroom with Whitehall sitting in between you. It was a minor issue and was easily forgotten by me and my girlfriend.

The breakfasts were delicious and accommodating to all types of palates. The egg frittata with queso sauce was my favorite. The innkeepers were always there with a smile to top off coffee mugs and give advice on how to spend our day. My girlfriend and I aren't the most social people in the world and we were happy to find that there were many private seating options at the Q. V. whether it be outside or on the big wrap around porch. Tea time was also outstanding and the iced teas were a hit.

Some of the other amenities that my girlfriend and I took advantage of were the beach chairs and towels, the bicycles and the outdoor shower (real shower with shampoo/conditioner soap and towels) after the beach. Some rooms came with free parking but we had no issue finding non-metered parking a few blocks away. You are given a map of non-metered areas when you check in so it's no issue.

I really have nothing bad to say about Queen Victoria B&B. All of the details are taken care of and you are left with no worries. I would recommend this place to anyone without hesitation. This is my first TripAdvisor review and I'm glad it could be on the Q. V. We are planning our next stay there already :).

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angel G
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post this review Angel. I'm really happy that you guys enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria so much. It sounds like you really made the most of it and enjoyed everything that The Queen Victoria has to offer.

The Queen's Cottage IS a great choice for folks seeking a little more privacy, though all of our buildings feel pretty private, I think. Many guests ask me if we have anybody else staying on their floor of the building, even when we're completely full, because they rarely see other guests there and they never hear them.

All of our rooms have private bathrooms, of course, but the Brighton room is the only room in The Queen Victoria whose bath is outside the room. I'm glad it wasn't a problem for you. On the upside, Brighton has access to that parlor and pantry that you mentioned, which really increases the amount of comfortable space you have available to you. As you mentioned, you rarely see the other couple with access to that space.

Because The Queen Victoria is a larger in (35 rooms), it allows guests to have as much privacy or social experience as they want. We always try to have options for folks that wish to keep more to themselves.

Thanks so much for making us your first Tripadvisor post!

nyc
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed in two different rooms in Queen Victoria. I would recommend the rooms only at the main building. My friend and i went here for a few days and all the rooms were booked so we had to switch rooms after 1 night. However, the second room we were assigned to was really creepy so we ended up paying addl $40 bucks a night to stay in a different room at the main building. I would say one of the biggest drawbacks is that the occupancy is 2-3 pp a room, therefore if i ever go with my kids i would need to book 2 separate rooms. The food is awesome, and their home made jam is awesome i even bought some to take home. Rooms were pretty clean and everyone is pretty friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank linniex125
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I'm happy that your stay at The Queen Victoria was a good one. I'm especially pleased that you enjoyed the food so much.

I'm sorry that you didn't like the room that we originally moved you into last year. Creepy isn't a word I've ever heard used to refer to one of our rooms (it seems a bit harsh), so I'm a little surprised at your description of the Princess Alice room. That building is rumored to have a couple of ghosts. Perhaps you were picking up on that :)

I hope that you'll come back to stay at The Queen Victoria again soon. We'll be sure to keep you in one of our other buildings.

By the way, we do have a few rooms that can accommodate families with children, though we have a minimum age of 8yrs for the kids.

Bayonne NJ
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Absolutely a must experience, both Diane and I love it. What a pleasant time from the moment we checked in. Our room was beautiful, extremely clean and comfortable. Location couldn't be better, you are one block from the beach and 2 blocks from the shops. The owners meet and greet you at breakfast and spend time getting to know you and to ensure you have all that you need (nice touch). The staff is super friendly and helpful. The place has beach chairs, bicycles, water, coffee, juice, and even an umbrella which are all included. I can see this place as being one of our summer vacation spots, or winter as they are open all year.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Chelsea, it was really comfortable and charming.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gil_Diane
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thanks so much Gill. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this review. I'm very happy that you and Diane enjoyed your stay at The Queen Victoria so much. It was a pleasure getting to meet you and spend some time chatting with you. It is a great compliment that you're viewing us as one of your Vacation spots. We'd love to have you back for a return visit in either the Summer or Winter (or Spring and Fall!).

Doug
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The Queen Victoria Bed and Breakfast is a lovely place. The decor is to perfection. There is attention to detail right down to the chocolates on your pillow and the toiletries offered. Breakfast was average to good. We were served an egg casserole and ham along with the expected fruit, cereal, pastries and coffee. The food was cold as it was laid out buffet style. As beautiful.and perfect as this place.seems, I felt it lacked a certain warmth. The inn consists of several houses situated downtown. I did not like my room that was accessed from outside steps and pegged as a suite...I was actually disappointed when I saw it and wish I had requested another room. The rates are rather high ...but it is Cape May. Ancillary staff was helpful and friendly. Coffee and drinks were available around the clock. I am glad I had the experience but will try other places the next time I visit Cape May.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moonmama55
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks for this review and important feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at The Queen Victoria wasn't all you had hoped for. I can imagine that if you were expecting the cozy intimacy of a small 5 or 6 room inn, then one of our garden suites with a private entrance from outside would have lacked the warmth you were hoping for. Anna Marie and I try very hard to make everyone feel very welcome and comfortable. It sounds like you only stayed one night with us (you mentioned only one breakfast), so perhaps we didn't have a chance to make you feel as welcome as we would have wanted to you feel.

I'm VERY sorry that you were disappointed in our breakfast. While "Average to Good" is not a scathing criticism, it is far from what we hope to deliver (and very different than we are accustomed to hearing). Our food should never be cold, no matter if it served buffet style or not. I can't imagine how it might have happened, unless one of our warming trays was malfunctioning or got unplugged (unfortunately, this has happened before).

I can certainly understand and appreciate your decision not to return. There are many fine places to stay in Cape May. I hope you find one that is perfect for you.

Highland Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

As always a relaxing stay at the Queen Victoria. A lovely way to spend a long weekend. Doug and AnnaMarie are wonderful hosts! Delicious food and I can not stop emphasizing how incredibly clean the rooms are!

• Stayed May 2014
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks so much Karyn. I appreciate this follow up review (I noticed that you posted a review here previously). Housekeeping is so important to us and our staff work very hard to make sure our rooms are as clean as they can possibly be. I'm glad you enjoyed and appreciate it. I'm also very pleased that you enjoyed our food so much.

As much as I appreciate your review and the compliments, I'm much more thankful for your continuing patronage of The Queen Victoria. I hope we'll have the honor of your business again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Queen Victoria after reading great reviews and we were not disappointed at all! We stayed in The Empress for three nights, we would of moved in if it was an option. The room was spectacular, the staff was very helpful and friendly, and Doug and Anna Marie were a delight. I loved that Anna Maria and Doug are very hands on with their staff and take the time out to speak to everyone staying in the inn. Doug and Anna made as feel as we were family. The food was delicious and tea time was my ultimate favorite. My boyfriend and I will definitely be staying here again. I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant vacation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kateryne A
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks so much Kateryne. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your first visit with us so much. The Empress room really is special. I hope you took advantage of all it had to offer. I love the title of your review! I guess I couldn't ever ask for higher praise than that. It was a pleasure getting to meet you both. I hope we'll be seeing you again one of these days in the not too distant future. It sounds like next time we'll have to arrange for a longer visit :)