“Another great visit”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our 5th visit to Cape May and our 5th stay at the Queen Victoria. As always of stay was absolutely delightful. This time we stayed in the Princess Alice room in the House of Royals. While the weather could not be helped -- it was cloudy, gray, and rainy -- we enjoyed our time talking with other guests, various staff, and Doug and Anna Maria. The staff of the Queen Victoria is top notch and truly is a class act. As a result, the Queen Victoria represents what really is the best ... of the Best... in Cape May. Thank you so much again and we'll see you in the summer of 2015.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

With 5 visits to The Queen Victoria under you belt, I hope you feel like you're returning home when you visit Cape May. Thanks so much for your kind words about the inn and our staff. We've got a very good group of people working for us. I'm glad that they made you feel so welcome and comfortable.

I'm sorry that the weather didn't treat you better than it did during your visit this year. At least we didn't get completely washed out as I had feared. One of the great things about Cape May is that there is a lot to do besides the beach when the weather isn't perfect. A rainy day in Cape May is better than a perfect day in most other places (in my completely biased opinion).

I hope that we'll have the pleasure of your company again next year, or perhaps sooner!

Thanks again,

Doug

Write a ReviewReviews (1,089)

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We just returned from our stay in the Princess Alice room in the House of Royals. Everything was wonderful! The balcony was especially enjoyable; we would sit there for hours and relax. I am especially grateful to Anna Marie, who went out of her way to assist me in planning a surprise vow renewal with my husband. Breakfast was delicious- try the orange juice!! Not every building has breakfast, and only Prince Albert has tea, so make sure you plan around that. Perfectly located place to stay! We will definitely return!

Stayed: August 2014

We're so pleased that your first visit to The Queen Victoria, and your vow renewal, was such a great time for you Catherine. I mentioned in my response to the previous review that we love to be a celebration destination. I'm glad we were your choice for your "babymoon" and vow renewal.

The Princess Alice balcony is a great place to relax and gaze out at the beach. It is also the perfect spot to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, or perhaps a glass of wine in the evening (I guess you didn't get to do much of that on your babymoon, though).

I hope that we'll get to see you again sometime in the future. I imagine it will be a while, though, with your little one on the way. Best wishes for a healthy, happy addition to your family!

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We have been coming back to the Queen Victoria every year since our first visit to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, 4 years ago. I don't think I'd stay anywhere else. With 4 buildings and several room options, there's something to fit everyone. The innkeepers, Doug and AnnaMarie are friendly and helpful with suggestions for restaurants and excursions. The rooms are beautiful, afternoon tea is a nice way to meet other guests, and the breakfasts are incredible!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for this great review Darla. I'm so happy that you've made The Queen Victoria your "home" in Cape May. We absolutely love to be a celebration destination. I'm so thrilled you chose The Queen Victoria for your 25th anniversary celebration 5 years ago. I hope that we'll be seeing you again next year for your 30th!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I always try to stay at different B&B's in Cape May, but for our anniversary this year, we felt we HAD to return to the Queen Victoria. Yet again, it did not disappoint. As before, the owners know how to treat their guests, welcoming us into their home, and making sure every possible need is taken care of. The breakfasts yet again were delicious, the room (we stayed in Covent Garden, although we were hardly in it!) was beautifully decorated and restored, and the warmth of the family was everywhere. A hard working staff was always there to assist as well.

Hopefully we will return again to the Queen Victoria soon. Besides from the love they have obviously put into their property, the owners and staff just have that instinct when it comes to welcoming guests. (They actually remembered us from a year ago!) Thank you for making another anniversary a memorable one!

Room Tip: We stayed in Covent Garden, a room labeled as a suite with it's own private entrance. Rooms lik...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thanks so much for returning to The Queen Victoria to celebrate your anniversary. It says a lot based upon your fondness of exploring different inns all the time. I'm so glad that you felt so welcome and comfortable during both your stays with us. My wife and I, and our entire staff, truly want every guest to have a wonderful time and love their visit to both The Queen Victoria and Cape May. I'm also glad that you enjoyed our food so much.

I hope that you WILL be returning for another visit to The Queen Victoria soon. Remember, we're not just for anniversaries any more!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Queen Victoria is a beautiful Inn with a perfect location. A 2 minute walk in any direction gets you shops, restaurants, entertainment and beaches.

We stayed in Brighton and had a whole pantry and sitting area to ourselves (shared with one other room but they didn't use it). The fridge was always stocked with complimentary bottled water and various sodas and had plenty of space for storage. There was a Keurig brewer with various types of coffees and teas which was nice. We had a separate entrance shared with the other second floor room. Q. V. Inn has four buildings and the Queen's Cottage is the only one in which only guests staying in that building can access it which made it all the more private. If you want peace and quiet, stay in Queen's Cottage. The only drawback I saw on Brighton is the fact that the bathroom is outside the room. You must constantly go back and forth between room and bathroom with Whitehall sitting in between you. It was a minor issue and was easily forgotten by me and my girlfriend.

The breakfasts were delicious and accommodating to all types of palates. The egg frittata with queso sauce was my favorite. The innkeepers were always there with a smile to top off coffee mugs and give advice on how to spend our day. My girlfriend and I aren't the most social people in the world and we were happy to find that there were many private seating options at the Q. V. whether it be outside or on the big wrap around porch. Tea time was also outstanding and the iced teas were a hit.

Some of the other amenities that my girlfriend and I took advantage of were the beach chairs and towels, the bicycles and the outdoor shower (real shower with shampoo/conditioner soap and towels) after the beach. Some rooms came with free parking but we had no issue finding non-metered parking a few blocks away. You are given a map of non-metered areas when you check in so it's no issue.

I really have nothing bad to say about Queen Victoria B&B. All of the details are taken care of and you are left with no worries. I would recommend this place to anyone without hesitation. This is my first TripAdvisor review and I'm glad it could be on the Q. V. We are planning our next stay there already :).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angel G
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post this review Angel. I'm really happy that you guys enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria so much. It sounds like you really made the most of it and enjoyed everything that The Queen Victoria has to offer.

The Queen's Cottage IS a great choice for folks seeking a little more privacy, though all of our buildings feel pretty private, I think. Many guests ask me if we have anybody else staying on their floor of the building, even when we're completely full, because they rarely see other guests there and they never hear them.

All of our rooms have private bathrooms, of course, but the Brighton room is the only room in The Queen Victoria whose bath is outside the room. I'm glad it wasn't a problem for you. On the upside, Brighton has access to that parlor and pantry that you mentioned, which really increases the amount of comfortable space you have available to you. As you mentioned, you rarely see the other couple with access to that space.

Because The Queen Victoria is a larger in (35 rooms), it allows guests to have as much privacy or social experience as they want. We always try to have options for folks that wish to keep more to themselves.

Thanks so much for making us your first Tripadvisor post!

Doug McMain

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed in two different rooms in Queen Victoria. I would recommend the rooms only at the main building. My friend and i went here for a few days and all the rooms were booked so we had to switch rooms after 1 night. However, the second room we were assigned to was really creepy so we ended up paying addl $40 bucks a night to stay in a different room at the main building. I would say one of the biggest drawbacks is that the occupancy is 2-3 pp a room, therefore if i ever go with my kids i would need to book 2 separate rooms. The food is awesome, and their home made jam is awesome i even bought some to take home. Rooms were pretty clean and everyone is pretty friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank linniex125
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I'm happy that your stay at The Queen Victoria was a good one. I'm especially pleased that you enjoyed the food so much.

I'm sorry that you didn't like the room that we originally moved you into last year. Creepy isn't a word I've ever heard used to refer to one of our rooms (it seems a bit harsh), so I'm a little surprised at your description of the Princess Alice room. That building is rumored to have a couple of ghosts. Perhaps you were picking up on that :)

I hope that you'll come back to stay at The Queen Victoria again soon. We'll be sure to keep you in one of our other buildings.

By the way, we do have a few rooms that can accommodate families with children, though we have a minimum age of 8yrs for the kids.

Doug McMain

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Absolutely a must experience, both Diane and I love it. What a pleasant time from the moment we checked in. Our room was beautiful, extremely clean and comfortable. Location couldn't be better, you are one block from the beach and 2 blocks from the shops. The owners meet and greet you at breakfast and spend time getting to know you and to ensure you have all that you need (nice touch). The staff is super friendly and helpful. The place has beach chairs, bicycles, water, coffee, juice, and even an umbrella which are all included. I can see this place as being one of our summer vacation spots, or winter as they are open all year.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Chelsea, it was really comfortable and charming.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gil_Diane
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thanks so much Gill. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this review. I'm very happy that you and Diane enjoyed your stay at The Queen Victoria so much. It was a pleasure getting to meet you and spend some time chatting with you. It is a great compliment that you're viewing us as one of your Vacation spots. We'd love to have you back for a return visit in either the Summer or Winter (or Spring and Fall!).