“Home away from Home”

Ranked #3 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
nj
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

From the minute I made the reservations, I knew our stay would be delightful.
The inn owners Anne Marie & Doug go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable, with all your needs met. We stayed in the Osbourne mini suite, the room is very comfortable, air conditioned with access to private parking & beach chairs & towels. Bikes are available too. If you have trouble getting in and out of a tub the shower maybe difficult to navigate as it is in the 2 person Jacuzzi.
The breakfasts were outstanding! When we came back from the beach we spent time on the pretty covered porch with rocking chairs.
Will certainly return in the future. Also only one block to the beach, one block to the shops,
I would say this is a perfect B&B.

Room Tip: Room is on the first floor with private side entrance.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria. The Osborne suite is one of our most popular rooms. In fact, it is the most viewed page on our website. I guess it is something about the decor of the room.

Lots of visitors manage to spend time on the beach, the bikes, and all over town. I'm glad you've discovered that sitting on the porch in a rocking chair and watching the world go by is a wonderful "Cape May" thing to do too. VERY relaxing.

I hope we'll get to see you again soon.

Doug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is one of my two favorite bed and breakfasts in Cape May! It is comprised of several Victorian buildings with a total of over thirty rooms. Check the website carefully for photos and descriptions of each room, including the floor if stairs are an issue. A wonderful tea is included, with delicious home baked goods, hot and iced tea, cheese and crackers. Guest pantry is available with complimentary water and cold drinks. Guest rooms are furnished in Victorian antiques, with comfortable seating and mini refrigerators, television, lovely bathrooms, and amenities. Location is ideal, about a block from the beach in one direction, and shopping and restaurants in the other.
Parking for the most part is on the street, about a block or so away. All in all, a wonderful experience in a beautiful Victorian seaside resort!

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thanks so much for this great review. Now you've got me guessing what your other favorite B&B in Cape May is!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves so much during your recent stay. It sounds like you loved everything, which is wonderful. I really agree with you about our location. When my wife and I first purchased the inn, we lamented the fact that we weren't located on the beach. It didn't take us long to figure out we were much better off where we are. The beach is just a block away, as is the main shopping & dining district. We really are in the heart of town, near everything.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this review. We certainly appreciate it.

New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Queen Victoria for our 15th anniversary. Being new to the B and B experience, we were a bit apprehensive. Our concerns quickly left us as we were transported back to a simpler time and place. A beautiful print of the B and B as well as happy anniversary wishes were waiting for us in our room. What a great surprise! The amenities at the Queen Victoria were great...from the stocked refrigerator with cold beverages on the first floor to the free use of bicycles, beach chairs, towels and so much more. Our room (The Windsor) was quite comfortable as we had ample space and the a/c worked great, especially with the 2 ceiling fans. All of the staff was so pleasant and diligent. We loved the little added touches of turn down service and chocolates each night. From the delicious breakfast (LOVED the Queen's Oats) to the porch swings, this was THE PERFECT romantic get away for our anniversary. We will definitely be back! Thank you Doug and Anna Marie!

QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
What a lovely review. I'm so pleased that you chose The Queen Victoria for your 15th anniversary. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your experience so much. We are always thrilled to have people celebrating the special occasions in their life with us. I'm glad we were the "Perfect Anniversary Get Away" for you. I'm also glad to hear that you're planning on a return trip.

Thanks,

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our first trip to Cape May, so we picked a place to stay based on reviews. What a great choice! The Queen Victoria lived up to every expectation. The rooms are wonderfully finished and the grounds are beautiful. The food at breakfast is 5 star as well, prepared by a chef.

Doug and Anna Marie were wonderful and gracious hosts throughout.

When we return to Cape May, we won't think 2 seconds about where to stay -- it will be the Queen Vic!

Room Tip: The Prince Alfred is a corner room in the House of Royals. It has two balconies. Great room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Queen Victoria Gary. We're thrilled that you liked the decor and landscaping, and perhaps most importantly the food. Our chef loves coming up with interesting and tasty dishes for our guests.

I hope that you'll be coming back for a another visit soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second time staying at the Queen Victoria, and it was a wonderful vacation! The innkeepers,Doug and Anna Marie, are so welcoming and I always feel right at home when I stay at their B&B. They really thought of everything to make our stay there enjoyable- the use of bikes, beach chairs, and towels are very convenient. And I must mention how delicious the breakfast is! Everything is homemade and very fresh, loved the blueberry stuffed French toast and apple muffins! I'll be back next summer, as I have now made visiting the Queen Victoria a yearly tradition!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thanks so much. I'm so happy that you've enjoyed your visits to The Queen Victoria so much. It is a thrill to us when our guests appreciate all the extras that we offer. The Blueberry Stuffed French Toast is one of my favorites too. I think you would really love the Maple Pecan Corn Muffins with Caramel topping that we had this morning! I'm thrilled that The Queen Victoria has become part of your summer tradition.

See you next year!

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with my folks for a second time and we were a bit dissapointed. First, the room you have will determine the quality of your stay, and at $350 a night we got a small tv, a room with a tub built for a child, no do not disturb signs, and no parking spot. The bed was not good and the breakfast was average at best. Im not sure why there is so much hype about this place, its a standard bed and breakfast, and as such not worthy of a five star review. Those reviews are earned, not given.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I'm not quite sure how to respond to this review. I'm actually having a hard time believing that you're reviewing the right place. This summer $325/night (plus tax) would have put you in one of our large luxury suites with a 2 person whirlpool tub, a fireplace, a 42" flat panel TV and a private parking space. We don't have "Do Not Disturb" signs, but we do have privacy locks which work the same way for us and are explained to everyone on check-in.

This morning we had "Banana's Foster Stuffed French Toast" with a hot caramel topping and premium sausage patties. It definitely wasn't "average", though it is typical of the kinds of dish that we serve daily. Every day of the week we also offer bagels & English muffins, homemade strawberry jam, home baked breads & muffins, fresh cut fruit salad, cereals, including our homemade granola, yogurt & hard boiled eggs and of course, limitless juices & our custom blended, locally roasted coffee. There is a lot to choose from. Afternoon tea features fresh baked cookies, cakes, and home made spreads every day.

On the off chance that you actually did stay with us and were simply confused about the pricing, I'm sorry that we failed to impress you. Beds are always tricky, as personal preferences vary dramatically, but all of our rooms feature premium Sealy ultra plush top mattresses that are replaced frequently. Most of our rooms have 32" flat panel TVs, which might sound small compared to today's 60" home TV, but really stand out in our quaint, antique filled guest rooms. Our small standard rooms would have been $255/night (about $100 less than you mentioned).
Waldwick
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband & I just returned from our 1st stay at the Queen Victoria and we were quite impressed. We have been coming to Cape May for more than 10 years, and this was such a treat. The innkeepers and staff were so friendly and helpful. We stayed in the House of Royals, Prince Arthur room and the room was a nice size for a B & B and the bathroom was quite nice and updated. There were many extras that you don't always find at B & B's like beach chairs, bikes and a fully stocked pantry, all complimentary, the bathroom even had a towel warmer and a line inside the shower to hang wet bathing suits. The breakfast and tea time treats were delicious. The only drawback is the parking. There is no on site parking spots except a few that are reserved for the more expensive rooms. That was a bit of hassle since it is so busy in the summer. The location is great since it is so close to the beach and the town. Once we did find a place to park the car we didn't need to move it since you can walk everywhere from this location. We will definitely be back!

2 Thank Marc P
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thanks so much Marc. I'm glad you guys gave us a try this year and enjoyed your first visit with us so much. We really do try to provide a lot of extras, like all the things you mentioned. We're not the cheapest place to stay in town, but I like to think we offer a lot of "value".

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the dining at breakfast and afternoon tea so much. It is my favorite time of the day!

If I ever find a Jeannie's lamp I am definitely going to use a wish to get a parking lot. Six of our rooms come with dedicated parking, but the rest of our guests usually find parking relatively easily in the un-metered residential streets next to The Queen Victoria. It has never taken me more than 5 minutes to find a space, and I've never been further than a 5 minute walk back to the inn. You stated it perfectly when you said you don't need a car during your stay. I think most of our guests love to be "Car Free" for a few days during their Cape May visit.

Thanks again. I hope that we'll get to see you again soon.