“Memorable and pleasant stay!”
Review of White Dove Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
White Dove Cottage
Ranked #39 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My dashingly handsome boyfriend and I stayed at the White Dove Cottage for a weekend in August 2011 and highly recommend it. The bed & breakfast is conveniently situated on an idyllic, quiet street just a few blocks walking distance from the main strip of restaurants/bars and the ocean. The house itself is perfectly preserved in the Victorian-era style that makes Cape May so charming. Our suite was spacious, warmly decorated and very comfortable. It included a sitting room that is great for reading, knitting, or generally kicking back. The room looked out upon a peaceful yard and a garden inhabited by a tribe of quaint gnomes. I can feel myself relaxing just thinking about it.

Alison, the owner, was professional and eager to offer suggestions and answers to any questions that we had. It's clear that she goes to great lengths to make the White Dove Cottage as inviting as possible. Anything that we needed, be it towels, umbrellas, or beach chairs, she had ready in the main lobby. As other reviewers have pointed out, her breakfasts are incredibly delicious and artfully presented. Even though I forgot to let her know that I am a vegetarian, she was very accommodating with preparing some eggs at the last minute. My boyfriend adds that the meat was also tasty. Also, there were always afternoon treats waiting in the dining room to enjoy on the front porch rocking chairs.

We had a pleasant and memorable stay and wouldn't hesitate to book again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank V W

Reviewed 14 September 2011

White Dove Cottage is in the midst of Cape May's Victorian section. Thus the setting is great. The beach and restaurants are within 5 minutes walk. The Inn (or B&B) is nicely furnished, breakfasts are very creative, dogs are welcome, parking is available, and the price is right. A terrific porch with rocking chairs faces the street; one can sit for hours looking at the great Victorian facades and watch Cape May visitors walk by.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckNYC
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My friends & I stayed here for the fifth straight year during our women's weekend away and had a wonderful time as usual. Alison and Joan, the innkeepers, always go out of their way to provide a comfy, relaxing getaway. This year Alison even cooked me a special main dish to accommodate my no-carb diet when everyone else had delicious-looking stuffed French toast. The breakfasts are always ample & very yummy, with a fresh fruit first course, a choice of juices, and often homemade muffins or other sweet bread, in addition to the main course. Afternoon tea--either hot or iced depending on the weather--is served with a sweet or savory treat around four, and we never miss it.

The location on Hughes Street, a quiet, pretty, one-way street, is very central and an easy walk to everything, like the shops, the beach and the restaurants. We love the on-site parking, porch rockers and the true Victorian atmosphere and can't wait till next year.

Room Tip: Convenient guest fridge in 2nd fl. hall
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maineyankee52
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My husband and I went to Cape May to recuperate from a busy year. We had stayed in other B & B's, in many other places as well as in Cape May, but this one was by far the most enjoyable. White Dove Cottage is not huge and impersonal, but quite pretty and very well situated on a quiet gaslit street. The beach and mall are an easy walk which makes morning power walks an easy activity as you work up an appetite for breakfast. The accommodations are attractive, comfortable and like a second home (without the housework!). The breakfasts are among the best I have ever eaten and I am already missing them. Alison was friendly and knowledgeable without being intrusive. We appreciated her advice on places to go, where to rent bikes, etc. We have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbdj
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This particular B&B was at one time associated with my husband's family. We thought we'd stay there once as a touchstone then never again. Now, I'm not sure we'd ever stay anywhere else!
We were in the Princess Jillian room with a King bed. The space was ample and we lacked for nothing in terms of accommodation. We simply couldn't have been more comfortable. Coffee and breakfast in the morning was never less than special. This was our favorite, conversing with Alison Bjork, and on our last day, her mother Joan about Cape May, its history and the house. We spent our days exploring the town and surrounding area. Dinner recommendations were always spot on. We finished each evening relaxing in the sitting room for a time. Had the weather been warmer we would have been hard to dislodge from the front porch. An overall exceptional experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rorey
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This B and B was the ultimate get away experience for us! Wonderful location, beautiful appointments, helpful, informed owners, and the FOOD....beyond compare!!!!! I would definitely return, again and again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank funinthesuntravel
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My daughter (26 yrs.) and I wanted a getaway for 3 nights at the beach and we agreed upon Cape May since I had vacationed there before. Needless to say, I adore Cape May for being mostly residential with a great wide sandy beach, good swimming water, and some waves. However, what sets Cape may apart from most beach areas in the world is the quaint and historic town with many traditional Georgian and Victorian homes, a long beachside promenade, a great variety of good restaurants in various price categories, antique shops, clothing boutiques, biking trails, bird refuge area, and being able to walk nearly everywhere, once you settle into your B&B.

However our trip was highlighted by our magnificent B & B, Alison and her mother, Joan, the owners who live on-site and run their B&B as a personal home. All of the bedrooms and main areas are decorated tastefully with a variety of antiques, hand needlework (by Joan), paintings, photographs and many collections (china dogs, wooden horses, hand painted chairs, silver, rare blue glass). This B&B is maintained perfectly and is spotlessly clean. In addition, you have many extras usually expected in 5 star lodgings such as pretty containers on lotion, shampoo, soap, shower cap, and luscious towels, hand clothes and face clothes. In addition, Joan supplies thick, large beach towels, comfortable beach chairs, and an outdoor shower with HOT water too! The house has a nice wide porch with comfortable rocking chairs which overlooks Hughes, a quiet tree-lined street with many Historic Georgian and Victorian homes. White Dove has a great location which is just 2 -3 blocks from most restaurants, the beach, Carpenters Lane, and the playhouse.

Now for the breakfasts....superb! We began with wonderful fresh fruit and yogurt topping, and each day the following selections were featured….Eggs Benedict, French Toast served atop warm apple slices and a flower basket of thin ham that contained a poached egg with a bit of cheese...absolutely delicious. We also enjoyed a variety of fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea, and each day a different homemade baked sweet.

Alison and Joan have thought of all the creature comforts to make one happy.....from candies in the front hall, to a lovely small table on the porch to enjoy your afternoon tea and sweet or, take-out lunch / dinner, to wine glasses in the room, and a refrigerator on each floor for fruit or drinks you may want to have on hand.

Alison and Joan are very friendly, welcoming, and helpful in every way. They are both able to direct you to nearly any interest you might have during your visit. It was a joy to stay at the White Dove Cottage and I plan to return soon!

Bonnie