“a place to definitely stay but needs to adjust to clientele it is attracting”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“a place to definitely stay but needs to adjust to clientele it is attracting”
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We have stayed here now 4 times. The feel of this hotel and cape may is warm and feela like coming home. I have read its history and researched what they did to revive this building and it really is impressive. The beds are comfrotable. the international staff adds some flair. The place is crowded with energy. I think there are two things I could say. I have read what some people are saying on the web about the service. We have had one small negative experience each visit but it was always minimal. In general, this hotel is in need of a small adjustment of increasing its service to the level of the ritz. The people that stay here are from new york or phily and are out in the morning exercising, on their ipads, waitnig in line in the coffee shop with or without their kids. They can spend the money. The staff i have commented before deals well with the type a but typical new jersey kids working over the summer cannot provide the service these clientele are expecting without some special trainnig. It improves as each year passes and I think they are getting it. We will still be going each year and I tip very well and am very appreciative of the great efforts that has gone into rebuilding and maiantinag this place. period. book early , try to relax say thank you and tip well

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank missyandalex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
SD
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I was in Congress Hall for one night with my son who is 5 years old. I chose this hotel because of the proximity to beach.

I liked the old world charm and hotel has done remarkably good job of keeping the originality of a beach hotel, from last century.

The rooms were well decorated clean and had great ocean view but, there was a major flaw. There was at least half inch of gap at the bottom of the doors and every time we walked the hallways I could hear every thing inside the rooms. I was lucky that my room was at the end of hallway other wise people walking outside would have kept us awake.

My problem was with the service that was not very helpful, I was actually told to park my car on the street despite the fact that hotel does have a good size parking lot.

Now the worst part, never ever pay for the breakfast when you reserve the room. I paid $20 for the breakfast . usually when you prepay for the breakfast it includes a reasonable breakfast --- Not at this hotel. I probably ordered a minimal breakfast with eggs, toast and potatoes thinking that would at least be covered in my prepaid breakfast, NOT SO.

When I tried to leave I was accosted by the waitress who 'loudly' told me that I haven't paid for the breakfast. I tried to explain that I had prepaid for the breakfast. She came back with a bill and told me that would not cover my breakfast I still owed her close to 6 dollars. I felt so shocked and humiliated that I handed her 20 dollars and went back to wait for the change. That never came. I left after waiting 15 minutes.

Needless to say that I t left a very negative feeling for the rest of my day .

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank kkpathan
razzyfrazzy
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I've never been to Cape May, but for a quick 3-day trip, i thought it would be nice to drive down there during the off-season and enjoy some time with my 2-year old daughter and husband.

While it was really peaceful, there isn't really much to be done in Cape May this time of the year. It was fine for relaxing, but I at least expected the in-hotel restaurant (The Blue Pig) to be open for breakfast. We only needed breakfast one of the days we stayed in and they were closed (It was about 10:30 am). Ok, that was fine. Then we wanted room service at one point, but the gentleman I spoke to one the phone said that instead of sending a menu up to my room he could just tell me what was one the menu. I felt a little weird about that so I said no thank you.

The rooms were very clean, though. It was a nice place to stay. Granted, the floors weren't level (as noted in a previous review) but it wasn't a gigantic deal. The room was spacious and the beds were comfy. The only thing that bothered me was that the bathroom was a little dirty (there were some stains on the tub) and one of the beds in our room had a stain on it. I didn't call to complain about that because we only used one bed so it wasn't that big of a deal. We did open the mini-fridge to find several expired beverages. When we let them know they sent up a gentleman with some juice free of charge and I thought that was very nice.

Overall a very nice stay and we had a good time, just wish their food places could do a little better.

OH and the wifi is pretty great. Just that my iPad kept getting kicked off the network every time i stopped using it, so every time i wanted to go on the internet I had to log in.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
cmsvc, General Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for your feedback it is important for us to hear what our guests have to say about our property. The off season does limit the options but there are walking trails and trolley tours available through the Mid Atlantic Center for the Arts. I know that these options are not always conducive to traveling with a 2 year old. We did have activities like painting ceramics and movies for children during Spring Break but maybe we didn't have activities the days you were here. We will also keep in mind for next year we need activities for our youngest guests.

I am sorry that our restaurant was not open later during your visit, that is not our usual situation in the off season but we were upgrading our restaurant fireplace so we had limited hours. I am sorry this occurred while you were here.

We hope you will visit us again so we can show you all that Cape May has to offer.

John Daily
North Jersey
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I was honered to stay at a historical hotel. The room was clean, except for dust around the tv area. The room was beauitful, my only complaint is low water pressure in the shower and the water wasn't hot. Additionally, the tv remote sucks. And the dvd player didn't work. Also, the free wifi sucks, bad domain, and my laptop wouldn't connect. So I was unable to get online. Otherwise, the hotel is just beautiful, unigue, and historical. Simply gorgeous. Additionally, the staff and people were friendly, with plenty of stores and siteseeing.

• Stayed April 2011
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
We are glad to hear that you loved our hotel even with your technical difficulties. We recently upgraded our wireless so I am disappointed to hear that you had trouble. I will notify our IT department. I have also passed along your comments about water pressure & water temperature. Thank you for sharing this information with us. It is important for us to hear all aspects of your hotel stay. We look forward to your future visits! Congress Hall
Silt, Colorado
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We stayed here in March, granted the offseason for Cape May, but absolutely loved this hotel. It was the highlight of our trip. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is perfect for a beach setting. The hotel reminded us a lot of the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, CO,but with a beach theme. This is simply a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011
northeastern US
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I attended the annual yoga retreat at Congress Hall. I recommend the hotel and the retreat. The hotel has an old-time seashore elegance that I loved. My room was huge and painted the color of a summer seashore sky. The bed was comfortable with lovely bed linens.
I also recommend the yoga retreat for serious, but not necessarily advanced, yoginis.
The only negative is that there is not much to do in Cape May in February.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Delran
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Booked a room by calling the hotel directly. Spoke with Keith to get a price. Thanked Keith for information but decided not to book at that time. Within an hour called back and a rented a room for one night stay for the following weekend (off-season). Keith never mentioned any cancellation policy to me which at that point wasn't an issue for me because I had all expectations of needing the room for the one night. As it turned out my daughter 's competition (the reason for our stay in Cape May) was cancelled the Tuesday before our Saturday night stay. I called the hotel right away and was informed that not only would I have to pay a $30 cancellation fee (which I understood and accepted) but that I would not get a refund for the room. I was told I could use it as credit towards a room for another time within a year of the booking. I asked if any exception could be made as I do not typically vacation in Cape May and didn't expect to be in Cape May during the year. They wouldn't budge. I asked to speak with the manager and still no accomodation was made. Was only told that it was a "policy" and that it would be a financial strain to give the refunds for cancellations, particularly during off-season. I was advised that the cancellation policy was clearly outlined on their website but I had to remind the manager that I made the reservation directly by calling the hotel. I explained that I was never told about the cancellation policy. He responded by saying that he couldn't imagine that I was never told (implying that I was lying) about the policy because he sits next to Keith, a senior agent, and that Keith "always" explains the policy to people booking rooms. I asked him if reservation bookings which are done over the phone are always recorded and he said that "spot" recordings are done, not all. I wanted him to review the recording of my booking to convince him that I was never told about the cancellation policy. He said he would check with the third-party company that controls the recordings to see if a recording of my reservation was made but then quickly followed by saying he didn't expect a recording of my booking because Keith is a "senior" agent. This entire conversation exasperated me. I couldn't believe the lack of flexibility that this manager exuded. You would have thought that I was asking the President of the U.S. to pardon a hardened criminal from a life sentence. To make matters worse, another parent whose child was also competing with my daughter that weekend and who had booked a room at Congress Hall also had to cancel her booking. She was told that in addition to the $30 cancellation fee and the credit towards a room in the future, she had to re-book at that very moment and that she had to re-book for a minimum of 3 nights to be able to use the credit. Unbelievable!!!! How can they get away with this?? This is disgraceful!! Think twice about booking here.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank FORGETCONGRESSHALL
cmsvc, General Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
I am very sorry that our cancellation policy has left a bad impression of Congress Hall. We work hard to satifsy every customer and I am sorry we did not succeed during this interaction.

John Daily