“Very clean and comfortable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Very clean and comfortable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I have stayed at Congress Hall a few times; this last time in early January. I decided to go in January since there was no hint of snow and I got a fantastic rate on a one day sale promotion they were running. My room was somewhat small and the two chairs were not all that comfortable; however, the room was very clean and I loved the color of the room and carpeting. The bar area is very nice and I enjoyed drinking a vodka martini! The one drawback to visiting Cape May in the winter is the lack of open stores and restaurants. You have to search everything out in order to do some shopping and dining. I recommend visiting; however, I would not go back again in January/February.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jules52563

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Huntingdon Valley, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Went for a getaway after holidays for some R&R. Perfect place to stay. Quiet and comfortable rooms with a lot of history behind the walls. Room was spacious and had a small balcony overlooking the ocean. You could watch the sunrise from the bed. Definitely old, but spotless, the bathroom had an original bathtub. Located in the middle of town and the Blue Pig Tavern is located right there. Had breakfast and dinner there and we were not disappointed. Lots of choices for breakfast and our server, Rebecca was awesome. I had the pot roast special for dinner and it was almost like my Mom's. This was our 4th time going at this time of year and hope to return each year.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, also ask if packages are available with coupons for breakfast or dinner
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trixie1953
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

After trying many B&Bs in Cape May and not being totally satisfied we took my
sister's suggestion and tried Congress Hall. Since we visit Cape May often we wanted a place to return to and this hotel is it. Built in the early 1800's it has
historic charm with modern renovations that still keep the feeling of a bygone era.
It is directly located across Beach Avenue and the great beaches. There are lovely
Adirondack chairs to relax and watch the ocean, a pool, and rocking chairs located
on the first level. There are annex locations (which we have not tried) plus restaurants, stores, a spa and other amenities. Location is paramount and one can
walk around the town from this location. A variety of activities are offered an it is a
kid friendly establishment but having stayed here many times that has not been a
problem.

Room Tip: We like the balcony when the weather is good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redramPhiladelphia
Harleysville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I was disappointed with our room. We have stayed several times at this hotel. The rooms need work. The beds are very comfortable. I linens and robes make you feel very special. I made the reservations for two couples and actually was embarrassed on the size of rooms they gave us.. Congress Hall is not a cheap get away. Two night stay with dinner was over a 1,000 dollars.
I made our reservations early so this would not happen. We had dinner at the Blue Pig for New Year's Eve. They put us in a room behind the kitchen. I asked to sit in the main room where we always eat. They stated I would have to wait another 45 minutes.
Congress Hall has always had a special place in my heart, but I would have to think about going back.

Jim the bartender is always great and doe's a great job with the large crowds. He is always pleasant and make us feel welcomed.

Room Tip: Make sure when you make your reservations you ask for a queen bed.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gdebbie256
Westchester, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We checked in on thursday and stayed till Sunday of the new year.Our room was spacious and had 2 queen size beds and a dresser and 2 sitting chairs. It alsp had a door which led to the other room. Unfortunately for us, the people next door had a 10 month and a 2 year old. Don't get me wrong as I have 2 children of my own which are now grown and I love kids. But this baby next door started crying on thursday night and we thought she would stop. On friday when we came back to our room, she started again.On saturday we decided to come home in the late afternoon and take a nap to get ready for the new year. We got home about 4pm and this baby started crying for at least 2 hours. I have no idea what the parents were doing. I never brought my kids on vacation when they were babies. Anyway I finally called the front desk and asked for the manager who wasn't there but did call me back in a short time. i told him what happened and he said he could talk with the people and ask them to try and be a little quieter. I told him that I didn't like to complain and didn't want him knocking on their door and telling them that we complained about them. He then offered to change my room, which I really didn't want to do as we were leaving in the morning. But my wife wanted to change rooms and try to get one good night of sleep. So we packed up all our stuff and moved from the 3rd floor annex to the 4th floor. The room was an ocean view but the beds were smaller and so was the room.It was only for one night , so we did sleep and made the best of it. I really liked this place as we stayed there last year. I know it is hard for them to put all families near each other, but they should never have given us a room with a connecting door, especially since we booked the trip with 2 other couples and did ask to be near each other. Neither of us were near each other. I;m not sure what the right thing for the manager to do but I felt he should have offered us some other form of compensation.

Room Tip: Don't get adjoining rooms .
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joeytel
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I purchased a one-night package at Congress Hall through "livingsocial.com"; we stayed on December 23rd with our 3 year old daughter. The hotel was not full, but beautifully decorated - gorgeous tree in the lobby, lights outside, huge tree in the "yard", and lots of festive cheer (our daughter LOVED it). The staff, from check-in to waitservice in the Blue Pig Tavern, were all lovely, professional and welcoming. The rooms are generously sized (we had a King room, ocean facing), including the bathrooms (take a bath in the huge tub - it was amazing!). I would give the hotel a 5 star, but I haven't stayed during peak season, and my only hestitation would be how quiet (or loud) the rooms would be when the hotel is fully occupied (creaky wood floors, wood doors, etc). Having said that, our Congress Hall stay a was lovely holiday treat, and we look forward to starting a yearly tradition.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Wharton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We go to Cape May every summer. We always rent an apartment for a week. We decided to go for 2 days at Christmas time to see the town dressed for the holidays. We always wondered what it was like to stay at The Congress Hall. We booked a room for 2 nights at The Congress Hall. The room was OK, not great, but OK. The bathroom was a good size, but the sink had no room for toiletries and the toilet was in terrible need of replacement. It was small, stained and simply old. The shower head was disappointing (for that amount of money). The worse was our experience at the bar and restaurant. The bar was crowded, loud and hot. The restaurant served us a hamburger that had bad meat (we sent it back) and the next day we got moldy blueberries for breakfast!!!...They will not get us back in there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family