“Staff is arrogant”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just returned from CH and were very unhappy. We had room 217 which was right above the lobby desk at the corner of the building over looking the Blue Pig. It's also at the top of the staircase, just above the Brown room. The front entrance is also below this room, slightly to the left. It's a Very noisy room. Upon mentioning this at the front desk, the young lady working there said she will mark in our files that we would prefer to have this room in the future. Really? Why would anyone prefer to have this room at the same rate as any other room? We found the entire staff acted as if they were doing us a favor letting us stay there. The place is beautiful. No doubt. But we will not be returning.

Additionally, we ate outside at the Blue Pig. We knew there was a probability of rain. It was nice out. Many other couples, friends and families were outside. Just as dessert was being served it started to rain. We had a nice table with an umbrella. The rain was running off to a side we weren't sitting at. We were fine until the table next to us with this drunken woman decides she was getting too wet and starts rearranging the umbrellas. She pushed her umbrella into ours, tipping it so the water accumulating on top poured onto my wife and our dessert. They looked over at us, not saying anything. No apologies. Our waiter saw what happened and just said he'll get us another dessert. My wife got up and went to the bathroom. Few minutes afterwards the woman gets up again and again attempts to move the umbrella again. A hostess tells her that its not going to work and she tells her she doesn't know what she's doing. She grabs the umbrella and starts moving it and again my umbrella goes sideways. I nicely say to her to please stop and she tells me to mind my own business. I advise her it is my business as she got my wife wet and ruined our dessert. She yells at me to "grow up" that a little water doesn't hurt anyone. This coming from someone rearranging the umbrellas to keep herself dry. I said to her not to be an A..hole, which I shouldn't have said. But then they kept yelling it at me. The manager came over and calmed things down just as my wife returned. I explained to him what happened and suggested that they only allow their staff to handle the umbrellas in the future. He did take 20% off the bill and didn't charge for the dessert.

Room Tip: Make sure your away from the lobby or the bars.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Butchbudai
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Guest,
I am very sorry you were unhappy with your accommodations and felt you were mistreated by our staff during your stay. I have reviewed your reservation and made sure the correct notation was made that you do not prefer room 217 or to be near the entrance or stairwell. It is only our intention to provide the best most welcoming service and not to make anyone feel out of place. If we were unable to accommodate a different room for you we most certainly should have made your stay better in another way and I am sorry we fell short. We hope you will give Congress Hall another chance to truly enjoy the hotel and all it has to offer.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We went to Congress Hall on a recommendation and we're glad we did. It has a nice balance of a B & B / Inn feel yet provides the utmost anonymity. The building itself is gorgeous as are the interior rooms and suites. Our room had an ocean view and while a bit far away from the ocean, it was very nice to see in the morning. Would definitely recommend using the balcony as well. We ordered room service for breakfast and ate and enjoyed coffee on the balcony. Quite nice. If you like history, the beach, pretty decor and a break every now and then, definitely stay here!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This was our first visit to Congress Hall. We were attending a wedding there and stayed for the night. This hotel is all about Victorian charm. We'll maintained, quaint rooms, comfortable beds, bars and restaurants that felt like a manor house. Even the slight tilt to the floor in our room was unique! Highly recommended for a weekend get away. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I just returned home from a 2 day get-away to Congress Hall in Cape May, NJ and we are slowly coming back down to earth! We could not have asked for a better escape - the service was exceptional and the hotel is charming. So many personal touches -- elves that came into our room while we stepped out to tidy up, fluff our pillows; and staff waiting for us on the beach ready to set up our chairs, towels and umbrella. Everyone seemed to geniuinely care about us having a good time. The atmosphere of CH is like going back in time - from the large brass room keys, winding staircases with wonderful views at each landing, shuttered doors, and yes crooked floors (after all, this is a very, very old hotel). The decor is beautiful and our room was spotless. It was wonderful to wake up, grab a coffee and sit outside in a comfortable rocker to enjoy the view of the beach. We ate at the Blue Pig Tavern, drank in the Brown Room, and relaxed in the Boiler Room. The food was delicious and both the Brown and Boiler Rooms were comfortable and relaxing. My one and only complaint would be the cocktails - I drank about 7 glasses of my favorite cocktail and didn't feel the slightest buzz, which I attribute to lots of ice and very little alcohol. I totally avoided a hangover but feel like I spent too much money on what tasted like non-alcoholic drinks. Next time, I will just order a beer and save myself some money. Overall, I LOVED everything about CH, and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night to celebrate my best friend's birthday - hotel and valet services were friendly and professional. Rooms were inviting and tastefully decorated with respect paid to the vintage of the property. Pool area was lovely, adirondack chairs on the lawn overlooking the ocean were plentiful, and BEACH amenities were a nice touch. We have stayed here in the past, off-season, and though I've not stayed in other Cape May properties, my wonderful experiences at Congress Hall have made me a loyal guest when I'm in town. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Congress Hall is a beautiful historic property ideally situated right across from the beach and next to the downtown pedestrian shopping/dining district. Much of Cape May is within walking or biking distance.

I expected an formal property but was happily surprised with the fresh decor and posh amenities in our room. The bed and linens, light beachy decor in the room were definitely on par with new upscale properties. The public spaces were updated and comfortable yet faithful to the architecture and quirks of a bygone era. The hotel appears much larger from the street and it was charming to find the interiors welcoming and more intimate than anticipated.

What I definitely didn't expect was the array of daily activities. There are movies on the lawn, games, events--all kinds of family pleasers rough out the day. In this way, Congress Hall reminded me of The Homestead or even a cruise in which you can choose whether or not to join in the festivities based on your interests or stamina. My kids loved it!

It is an expensive place to stay but given all the extras (bike rentals on-site, perfect location, spa, bakery shop with pain chocolat, pool, games etc) it is worth it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Momma23boyz
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Staff is very rude and the WiFi was very slow and horrible. The rooms are nice but had many stains in the beds. just 2 beds and no pull out furniture. 1 bed for two 18 year olds and a 13 year old does not work! The thing we did enjoy was the view of the beach, but does not make up for when somebody goes to the bathroom next door, you can hear the toilet and showers etc. ew!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family