“Christmas Treat”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Haddon Heights, NJ
“Christmas Treat”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Because of a late change in plans, my wife and I ended up staying at Congress Hall for Christmas vacation. It turned out to be a wonderful and very Christmasy experience! We spent four nights in a room overlooking the hotel's 35 foot Christmas Tree on the Great Lawn, with the colorful Shopping Village and the ocean as background. While the building is very old and a bit quirky, i.e. uneven wooden floors, we really enjoyed the Holiday adventure. All of our meals, including Christmas dinner, were eaten in "The Blue Pig Tavern" and added another great touch Christmas touch. We will definitely return to Congress Hall and Cape May for Christmas!

Room Tip: Second floor facing the Great Lawn and the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dondzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Beautiful hotel in a great location. Although I didn't like the all the up and down steps just to get to the room after taking the elevator then down a long hallway. Not for those who have a hard time with steps. The private deck was big and over looked the ocean, just a shame all the bulky power lines took over the view. And the kitchen is very tiny. Its located a few steps from shopping at some of the cutest gift stores and restaurants along Washington street. The Blue Pig Tavern inside the Congress hall was nice but pricey. They state its kid friendly but honestly I didn't see anything for kids, my 11 and 12 year old would have been bored. The gift shops in the hotel were very expensive I'd be afraid to take kids in them. Would I stay there again? Not sure...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie C
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was our first week long stay at Congress Hall. We normally go for small weekend trips in the Fall or during Christmas. Overall really nice time! Loved the complimentary beach set up with towels, chairs and umbrellas. Blue Pig is also never a disappointment for breakfast and dinner. A few things in the room could be updated. Our room was very dusty, with cobwebs on the lamps. Noticed a lot of scuff marks on the walls. Still, overall, Congress Hall is in a great location and is always a fun experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WDWfan80
Walden, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Congress Hall Hotel for a wedding in February. To be honest having lived in New Jersey most of my life I really didn't think there was a reason to go to Cape May in February. The wedding party price induced us to stay. Also the convenience of being able to drunkenly stumble directly from the Ballroom to our hotel room was a plus. Stumbling isn't much of a problem in the hotel because the historic building has charmingly uneven floors. Our room was as lumpy as a miniature skate park.

The building was apparently under renovation at the time, so the town view king size room was unavailable. We were upgraded to an ocean view king size room. The room itself was easily one of the largest hotel rooms I've stayed in. The Bathroom featured a tub and shower.

Couple of minor issues. The TV had a technical problem with it, but we didn't watch too much TV. Drunks, not in our wedding party spent about 10 minutes yelling on the veranda. Once we called the front desk, and notified them they took care of the problem immediately.

We sampled the food both in the Boiler room bar which was closed for the Wedding Cocktail hour and at dinner in the ball room. The local scallops wrapped in bacon were extremely good. The main entree of pork was drizzled with a red wine reduction sauce that was savory and sweet and matched the pork to perfection.

Between the food, the comfortable room, and the free wifi, something big hotel chains have been skimping on, I would highly recommend the Congress Hall Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BrianRWalden
key west
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just so wonderful to always come back to this Historic and Well Maintained Property.
From the Hotel Lobby , the Brown Room Bar and the Blue Pig..
It's an old world traditional feeling in our Modern World..
A great job by all the staff.
Keep up the good work..
Great Special Offers on their website..
Highly Recommended!

Room Tip: check the congress hall website.. they have several hotels and inns under their umbrella of capymayr...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katy810
Pocono Mt., PA
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Glitches happen and when those glitches impact my credit card, it tends to taint my view of my stay.

We've wanted to stay at Congress Hall since the renovations began some 16 years ago and finally we had the opportunity to do so last week. The ambiance did not disappoint. Loved the room and the staff with whom we had personal interaction. The window which opened onto the balcony was wonderful, and of course we sat out there even in temps in the teens because it was just so perfect.

However...

I booked the room via an online travel company for a decent rate, but then when I checked the hotel website, found I could get a better one through them. I cancelled the online booking without a hitch and booked via the Congress Hall website...and was charged twice for a single room. Glitch number one. I called and spoke with someone who immediately jumped on the defensive. I was kind. I was polite. I get that these things happen. I just wanted to be assured that the second room would be removed from my credit card and instead I was talked down to as if I were a child. I was inches away from cancelling. I wish I had gotten the gentleman's name.

Upon check in, we were asked if we wanted the key to the minibar. Feeling we had no need for it, I refused. Imagine my surprise two days after our trip to discovered a charge for the minibar on my credit card. Did one of the maids get thirsty and help herself to a $5 bottle of Fiji water?

In addition to that charge, there were two additional charges for lodging. Now, all this occurred AFTER I'd paid the full balance two months ago. When I called to rectify this, the woman I spoke with was cordial and said those charges would be removed but she could not explain to me why they had appeared.

Again, loved the hotel, but if you book, keep a close eye on your credit card for these kinds of glitches.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view and shoot for second floor (no balcony on the third floor and the first is ground...
Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Janine H
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for your comments. Mistakes do occur, but how it is handled is what leaves the largest impression. Being in the hospitality industry, it is our duty to accommodate each guest with outstanding customer service and unfortunately we fell short of that when working to fix the mistakes that were occurring. Glitches are sometimes out of our control, but how we work with the guest to resolve is in our control and most important. We apologize for the inconvenience you were caused and assure you that your comments are being addressed and we appreciate the feedback.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with family and grandkids. Beautifully decorated for Christmas complete with winter wonderland train ride, carousel, sleigh, and santa shoppes. Our room was large and refreshing Victorian style. Bedding was crisp and comfortable. Free valet parking. Our package included the train ride and hot chocolate for 4 along with $20 voucher for breakfast at the blue pig tavern. Would stay there again. Stay was courteous and professional.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family