“Cant wait to return!”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We went to Cape May for our 10th wedding anniversary, it came highly recommended and we quite happy with everything...The room was very nice, updated bathroom and comfy bed and pillows.. Jim at the Brown Room was very accommodating !! We had breakfast at the Blue Pig and enjoyed the sun room! Having a cocktail out on the lawn was so relaxing! Highly recommend and we live in a resort a hour away on LBI!! Looking forward to my September visit!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We've been going to Cape May for years and remember when Congress Hall was a dilapidated, all-but-deserted eyesore. we were delighted when we heard that there were plans afoot to renovate the site and very much enjoyed staying at the hotel for the first few years after it opened, when off-season prices were quite reasonable. In recent years these prices skyrocketed and we preferred to stay at other, much more reasonably-priced, locations. We were thus pleased when Congress Hall emailed us a special offer for rates as low as $119 for the two-night period we were interested in being in Cape May. When we called, we were told that rooms at that price were no longer available but we could get a room with town view and a queen bed for approx. $135/night. We booked the room but when we arrived we found the room was very small, much smaller than the rooms we had stayed in on previous visits. When we asked the desk clerk whether a larger room was available, he explained that rooms with king-size beds were much larger but also more expensive. He indicated that such rooms were available, but that we'd have to pay the difference if we wished to switch. When he heard me complain to my wife that we should just have stayed at our other preferred location at a much lower price, the desk clerk offered to split the difference in cost between the queen and king rooms. Since these rooms were clearly going to be unoccupied, I complained that most other hotels would offer complementary upgrades to unused rooms and that his was not a very generous offer. He refused to budge but then Emily, another desk clerk who had overheard the conversation, interceded and said that she would be happy to oblige us. She found us an ideal, much larger room at no extra charge. The room we occupied was not only large but brightly painted and nicely furnished. Overall, we had a pleasant time at the Congress Hall during our stay -- we particularly enjoyed relaxing outside with a drink in their rocking chairs. Bottom line is that we share the view of others that this hotel has a lot of charm and could be a delightful place to stay with a better, more accommodating staff. They should take lessons from Emily in making customers feel like they mattered. Thank you, Emily, for helping make our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: As note above, rooms with queen beds are quite small -- you'd have to squeeze in with your lugga...
4  Thank adanacsim
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A wedding brought us to Cape May. We had never been to this area - what a wonderful surprise. The town is friendly with lots to see and do. We really loved Congress Hall. The room was a bit dated, but large and very clean. We found the staff to be accomodating. Our meals were all part of the wedding weekend so I don't know about specific dining rooms, but we thought all the meals were delicious. We were in Cape May for what I would think is slow season - I can imagine it gets very crowded during the summer season.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We loved the location and the staff especially Jim the bartender who was really great. The food at the blue pig was very good and the staff was great. The room was nice and bathroom updated. The next morning a mouse was running by our room door. I caught it and brought it to the front desk to make them aware and I released it down the street. The girl at the desk was nice but the manager didn't even walk out of the door to apologize at all. We checked out and still no manager or apology. I emailed them and no response at all. I was there to celebrate my wedding anniversary not catch mice outside my room in an expensive hotel. Whatever manager worked the morning of may 5 needs to attend management 101 or find another vocation.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jgorto
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Family weekend to Cape May - Congress Hall seemed to be the best option, but the rooms are dilapidated, the staff discourteous, and the valet service a disaster. Thanks for the generous half-empty bottle of shampoo, CH. Had we had the time to make the trek to Virginia for the weekend, we would have: the accessibility and popularity of Cape May unfortunately make the likes of this place in high demand. And of course, elsewhere in the nation and the world, one can get a five-star hotel for the price of the rooms here. Oh well, at least we're at the beach. :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was the first time we went to Cape May and were thrilled they we were able to obtain a package from Travelzoo where our stay was paid in full up front. We stayed April 7 thru the 11th. When we checked in, the gentleman at the desk was very helpful. He did inform us of $30.00 security for the keys and $125.00 held in case we decided to go wild and break up the place :(
The next day my spouse checked our account, and not only did they take out the deposits, they took out one day room charge which was close to $200.00! Since we were not expecting this, it was very stressful and put a damper on our stay and vacation. We were first told that everybody gets charged this and is refunded AFTER you leave. We told the front desk we were paid in full. There was some fiascso with "Faxing" a document to the bank to release our monies. The next day we checked our account again, and nothing had resolved. We called the front desk again, different person, and was told there was a "glitch" in the system and that is why we were charged. We called our bank ourselves, they called the front desk and had it resolved immeditely. 36 hours of stress and 200.00 more taken did not bode well for my opinion of the establishment. If we did not check our account the next day, that would have been a problem.
The Blue PIg's food was awesome and we really enjoyed several dinners and daily breakfast there. The service was good, especially Rosie who waited on us at breakfast. The room was very comfortable and worth the price.
I am sad to say, we will not return because of all of the deposits. For a high end venue, it is insulting to charge these charges. WE are not teenagers who will have wild parties in the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mommabear25
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was very happy with the hotel overall with the only exception occurring the day of checkout. My daughter left a shopping bag in our room after we checked out. Shortly after when she realized the bag was missing we went to the room and the maid was in there. Our bag was found by the maid and was placed in her cart, with the bag being knotted. When my daughter retrieved the bag she should have checked the contents on the spot. As a 16 year old, just happy to find her shopping bag, she did not do that. When she came down to the lobby it was discovered that a folded $100 bill in her wallet was missing and a box containing fudge was eaten. We reported the theft to the assistant manager quietly and she reported it to the general manager Mr. Daly. Mr. Daly assured me that they would look into this and get back to me, that the hotel wouldn't take this problem lightly. I received a call from Housekeeping the next day asking if I found the money and I told them no. The unfortunate part was that I did not receive a call from Mr. Daly as a follow up, even after I called him two days after and left a message requesting a call back from him. A brief follow-up call would have been sufficient but no return call lost my future business.

All the positives that I had were lost the day I checked out. It's too bad we had a nice trip otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family